The MagicBox Forums  

Go Back   The MagicBox Forums > General Topics > PC / Games / Internets Discussion

Old 04-05-2006, 09:32 PM   #1
Reality
Sin and Punishment

Boot Camp. Windows on Mac offical.

Quote:
http://www.engadget.com/2006/04/05/b...ws-officially/
If you want to run Windows on your Intel-based Mac but found narf and blanka's solution a little too intimidating, you now have another option -- and this one's from Apple. The company has released a public beta of a technology called Boot Camp, which will be included in the next version of OS X. As its name implies, Boot Camp is essentially a boot manager, and allows Mac owners to install Windows XP and choose whether to run OS X or Windows at startup. It also includes a selection of Windows drivers for common Mac hardware, along with a utility to let you burn a CD to run the installation and partitioning tools. Yes, you still need your own copy of XP, but it looks like Apple's taken most of the pain out of dual-booting. Great job Steve, but we're sorry to tell you that the $13K bounty's already been won.

While some early message-board reviews of Apple's new Boot Camp software -- which was announced earlier today -- seem to show that there are at least some hazards to running Windows on a Mac (see the pic at right, which is apparently one of the first Boot Camp-assisted Mac BSODs), The Wall Street Journal's Walt Mossberg has given the new boot manager a thumbs up. According to Mossberg (who was able to sneak a copy out of Cupertino a few days ago), after installing Boot Camp and Windows on an Intel iMac, Windows ran "blazingly fast," and all of the apps he tested ran "flawlessly." Mossberg put the install time -- including both installing Boot Camp itself and running the usual Windows installer -- at 57 minutes, 40 of which were claimed by the Windows setup program. Despite being generally pleased, Mossberg did find a few glitches, including having to reset the clock every time Windows is booted (apparently the system clock used by the iMac isn't recognized by Windows) and not being able to use Apple's iSight camera. All in all, however, Mossberg summed things up with what may soon become Apple's new tagline: "Whether you want to run Mac or Windows programs, an Apple computer may be the only computer you'll need."
This is very very cool. I really looking forward to the end of the year when Apple shows their new OS and this new technology.

Old 04-06-2006, 03:21 AM   #2
Alucard

Very nice
Alucard is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-2006, 01:56 AM   #3
AmishNazi
Skag Killer Extraordanaire

Ahhhhhhhhh I can finally be a Mac Head AND play ALL PC games.

Mothertrucking woooooooooooooooooooooooooooooot!
AmishNazi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-2006, 04:19 AM   #4
Alucard

Probably not as they still need to polish up drivers for the system. For now PC is still the safest bet for games untill they really push this thing through the roof and it becomes popular enough. I hope it does.
Alucard is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-2006, 04:50 AM   #5
Seraph
>:3

I love this idea, but one problem still remains.

you still have to buy a proprietary peice of hardware from apple to have both worlds. I cant ditch the PC Hardware world. in 2 years I want to be able to dump a new videocard into my machine and play the latest games agian. I cant do that with a G5 can I?

not to mention a PC costs 5-600 to build, and mac prices are nowhere near that low.
Seraph is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-2006, 11:01 AM   #6
Reality
Sin and Punishment

Sadly your right Serpah. In order to enjoy this you'll need a Apple computer. The best bet is to purchase a Apple Mac Mini after their prices are lowered. They use to cost $600 but when they had intel chips put in they went up in price to $800. I think personally Apple did it to be greedy. Nothing more.

None the less, a Mac Mini would allow you to use your PC display and everything. And its so small you can store it somewhere on your desk easily out of the way. So the ideal set up would be a PC and Mac Mini. Where the Mini will be your main computer for net, e-mail, movies, pictures, music, ect ect, and the PC is used for games. (that is what I would do if in that situation. I'll be buying a Intel iBook at the end of the year and building a PC in a few months. I don't want the PC viruses to death so its going to be used for only games pretty much. And I'll use anything else I need on my laptop. Wether its on Windows or Mac OS X)

PS. As of right now some Mac users are tried this and started to try out some games. According to them the games all run flawlessly thanks to Apple's provided drivers. One Member put "America's Army" in full detail on his MacBook Pro. And it ran like a hot knife in butter. But it should to begin with. The MacBook Pro was recently discovered to be the world's fastest Windows laptop. (meaning after they put Windows XP on it and ran it around, they found out it broke some records in the Windows world. But us OS X people are use to that kind of speed.)

Last edited by Reality; 04-07-2006 at 11:05 AM.
Reality is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-2006, 12:05 PM   #7
Seraph
>:3

Fill these and im sold.

-Run the latest OSX Flawlessly
-Run Vista Flawlessly
-Compatible with the PC world of periphrials (mice, monitors, printers)
-Get the price to $1500

If they can accomplish all this in 3-4 years when its time for a new computer agian, ill go the apple road.
Seraph is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-2006, 12:17 PM   #8
Reality
Sin and Punishment

Well, you can run Mac OS X flawlessly already. Boot Camp secretly has Vista drivers in it. Since you can run XP now you can DL and install any drivers you need for Printers, monitors, ect just like you would already, and you can do this at $800 right now.
Old 04-07-2006, 12:33 PM   #9
Nindalf

All this can be yours with the affordable price of $99.99.
Nindalf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2006, 03:49 AM   #10
Reality
Sin and Punishment

http://www.engadget.com/2006/04/10/v...lled-on-a-mac/

Vista on Mac now.

Old 04-10-2006, 06:29 AM   #11
Joe Redifer
Olé!

Two button (or more) mice work natively with OS X. Whatever you do, never, EVER use the supplied Apple mouse. It is the worst in the world. Even their new so-called two button mouse isn't as good as an el cheapo standard PC mouse. And you can change the video card in a G4 or G5. Won't do you any good because a G5 will never run Windows. Wait until the G6 (which they will probably call something entirely different since it's not an IBM/Motorola chip anymore). In other words, wait for the tower.

Mac OS X is far from flawless.
Joe Redifer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2006, 12:53 PM   #12
Risky
Stop right there criminal scum!

http://www.1up.com/do/newsStory?cId=3149424

1up puts Half-Life 2, FEAR, and Oblivion on the MacBook
Risky is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-2006, 12:26 AM   #13
Reality
Sin and Punishment

This link contains a video of how Half-Life 2 runs on a Intel iMac. http://www.cabel.name/2006/04/boot-c...e-2-video.html I think some will be very impressed.