The MagicBox Forums  

Go Back   The MagicBox Forums > General Topics > PC / Games / Internets Discussion

Old 11-09-2005, 06:07 PM   #1
Seraph
>:3

In 5 second my computers going out the window!

ok, thats it, im pissed off. Ive tried and tried to troubleshoot this thing, no avail. The biggest reason i didnt want to build a computer myself is because there is not tech support.

Im not sure whats wrong with it. Its started acting up even with a giant window fan on it.

I need serious help. If i cant get this thing fixed im going to cry. $800 for a heavy paper weight is not my idea of funny.

So if somebody wants to help me here i will love you for the rest of my life.

----History of my new PC------

When i bought my PC, i put it together no problem. I had a slight hiccup getting the computer to see the SATA hardrive since it was looking for a RAID at first, but i worked in my cmos and got it to detect.

Everything was working perfect until i went home and tried to connect to my network. I couldnt connect and while i was diagnosing it i noticed my onboard NIC had a MAC address of all F's. Knowing that couldnt be right i reasarched it and found you can change the MAC address in windows, so i read the exact address that was on my card, and changed it to that.

Everythign worked fine.

Then after about a week, I had an incendent where my computer started spitting out black smoke. I quickly turned it off, and discovered that the wire going to my PC speaker to my mother board had fried itself. It melted itself to other wires it was touching, but other than that i didnt see any phisical damage.

Since then it started locking up and restarting itself.

Latley, it hasnt restarted or locked up at all. But now the processor is constantly being maxed out at 80%, making my entire system bog down. I cant do hardly anythign when this happens, and it happens quite often, but i havent been able to pinpoint what triggers it, if anything at all. These are some screenshots I took when it does this.

I also downloaded your speedfan program seska, and this is what it reads when my computer is having problems.

Im at my ropes end, i dont know what to do anymore and feel like breaking down and crying. This is so frusterating....
Seraph is offline   Reply With Quote
Connect With Facebook to "Like" This Thread

Old 11-09-2005, 06:39 PM   #2
Seska
Slurp

What kind of a CPU do you have? If it has the Cool 'n Quiet technology, have you enabled it? Doing so in the bios isn't enough, you have to tinker with some windows settings to ensure your processor isnt maxing out even when in idle.

Still, its odd that your CPU useage reports up to 80% when your taskmanager shows that no programs are using up your CPU.

If you havent enabled cool 'n quiet, Id try that first, if not, try a windows reinstall. Totally fresh - format your HD during setup, install, update and then see how things go.
Old 11-09-2005, 09:43 PM   #3
Seraph
>:3

Quote:
Originally Posted by Seska
What kind of a CPU do you have? If it has the Cool 'n Quiet technology, have you enabled it? Doing so in the bios isn't enough, you have to tinker with some windows settings to ensure your processor isnt maxing out even when in idle.
I went into my bios and it was turned off, i turned it on. Should that make a difference?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Seska
try a windows reinstall. Totally fresh - format your HD during setup, install, update and then see how things go.
If it lags out on me agian tonight, ill try it. At this point what do i have to lose, i just want it to work properly T__T
Seraph is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-09-2005, 10:54 PM   #4
Seska
Slurp

Ok, its not enough to switch it on in your Bios, you also have to go into your XP power options (in your control panel) and switch your power settings to "Minimal power management". Reboot.

If CnQ is running properly, you should notice a considerable improvement in heat on your CPU - mine went from 50 down to 32, because what CnQ does is automatically detect the load work of your CPU and downstep/upstep accordingly. So in idle, my 3500+ instead of running at 2400Mhz and ustilizing the CPU clockspeed at 100% (even though I am jsut chatting), with CnQ enabled it downsteps the CPU to 1000Mhz, meaning very low temps and lower fan revolutions to keep it all nice and quiet.

The fan and CPU shold heat up to 50+ only if you are using CPU intensive stuff like playing games or encoding movies.

See if enabling CnQ helps any.
Old 11-09-2005, 11:37 PM   #5
Alucard

Reinstalling windows shouldnt need to be done. Sounds like some other retarded thing. Do the steps seska said and then take it form there if it doesnt fix it.
Alucard is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-10-2005, 02:54 AM   #6
Dr. Bombay
ificouldjustbemorehuman

And while It may seem to be the most fucking obvious solution, make sure none of the plastic or melted metal dripped down onto the mobo and slipped between the circuitry. Drippy metal does terrible things for heat if exposed to an active charge, even if it is slight.
~And The Lies There, The Scent Of It, Just Too Much~

~So Should You~
~Sow It Once and Make It Grow, The Sweet Clematis~
~Let It Flower, and Paint it All Of The Colors Old~
Instantly Things Fall and Fade, Return to Silence~
~Why Oh Why, Why Does It All Feel So Sorrowful?~
~Dreams Of What Is Real~
Dr. Bombay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-09-2005, 06:43 PM   #7
ovejon

Hmm is it possible that hardware problems would cause your cpu usage to spike. I smell something wrong with windows.
ovejon is offline   Reply With Quote