The MagicBox Forums  

Go Back   The MagicBox Forums > General Topics > MagicBox Member Reviews

Old 03-20-2005, 09:24 PM   #16
gearhound
Versus the World

Get ready for some mediocre Contra.

The box art is pretty cool. I can't really say the same about the game...

Neo Contra
System: Playstation 2
Release: October 2004
Publisher: Konami
Developer: Konami

Overview
During the 8-bit and 16-bit generations Contra was a bona fide action title that dominated gaming. To hardcore Contra lovers, the Contra name signifies intense 2-D side-scrolling action that is second to none. From the very first Contra that debuted on Nintendo?s masterpiece, the NES, all the way to Contra: Hardcore on the Genesis and Contra III: The Alien Wars on the SNES (arguably the greatest Contra experience ever) gamers have experienced Konami at their best. But when Konami decided to give the development of Contra to Appaloosa during the Playstation era, they damaged the Contra name by creating two flops of magnificent proportions. Konami of Japan somewhat redeemed themselves when they gave us Contra: Shattered Soldier in October of 2002. Now, with the arrival of Neo Contra on the Playstation 2, can Konami once again create a stellar Contra Experience?

Story: 7/10
Time: 4444 A.D. Place: Earth. Neo Contra tells the story of an insane organization by the name of Neo Contra, an organization hell-bent on taking over the world, and only two men can stop them: Bill Rizer, the original hero of Contra, and an unknown samurai. Together they must destroy Neo Contra before the earth is wiped away forever. As you can tell, there is nothing exciting in this department.

Gameplay: 7.5/10
Konami of Japan has opted to turn their beloved series into 3-D this time around. What they have created undoubtedly surpasses the two Contra games on the Playstation, but they didn?t do anything to improve the series; they just created another mediocre 3-D action shooter. The 3-D action and gameplay, while not bad at all, leaves much to be desired. There is no jumping in Neo Contra. Instead, your character can dash and spin in place rapidly to avoid gun fire. The control mechanics are pretty good and are typical for this style of game. Depending on your configuration, you can hold the R2 button to lock your direction as well as the L2 to lock movement. By hitting either of the R1 or L1 buttons, you can change weapons. You are also given a choice of weapons to select before battle such as the spread, flame thrower, machinegun, and rockets, which is a nice touch.

Graphics: 7/10
There is nothing mind-blowing about the graphics here; the visuals seem to lack the detail and realism that Shattered Soldier offered. To put it bluntly, I think that Konami was lazy when they developed Neo. Not that the graphics in Neo are bad or anything -- it?s just that for a Contra game they seem a bit bland and boring. The bosses are ridiculous, incredibly disappointing, and lack the wow factor of earlier installments. Gone are the overpowering, disgustingly realistic behemoths that the series is known for. One of the bosses consists of a massive baby head that protrudes from a plant-like monstrosity that spews green puke at you. Konami didn?t do much to improve the character, boss and level designs either. To compare them to the likes of Contra III or Super C would be a big, fat joke.

Sound: 7/10
Previous Contra games have always had amazing soundtracks, but Konami failed to deliver with Neo. I will say that some of the music is quite good, but most of it is forgettable during gameplay because, well, you just don't pay much attention to it the first few times through. But if you give it a chance, however, you will see that is isn't bad at all. The soundtrack consists of metal, grunge-like guitars and techno beats and funky groves. Overall the soundtrack is decent at best, but nothing to do back flips over. The cinemas are pretty cool, but the dialogue and voice acting will have you rolling on the floor: Mystery G: "But I'm tired of dealing with this weed. Rizer, go ahead uprood it" -- Rizer: "Huh?" Trust me ? it?s hilarious.

Overall Experience: 6/10
I really hate to say this, but I was very disappointed with Neo Contra. I was expecting a mind-blistering, twitch experience, but instead I only received a mundane, humdrum, uninspiring blast fest. Back in the glory days certain members of konami, now known as Treasure, developed Contra. Lets just say that if Treasure developed the next Contra game (please god) it would be the most incredible, over-the-top Contra experience in the last 15 years. I love Contra. It is sad to see what Konami did with Neo Contra. It's like they didn't even try. The game is very easy to finish. If you ask me, Konami probably felt they had to cater to the casual gamer and leave the hardcore fan in the dust. Oh well. They certainly didn?t destroy the Contra name; they just let the series stagnate. You may ask yourself if this game is a joke while playing; some of it is laughable. If you are looking for a decent action game that certainly surpasses most top-down 3D shooters of its kind, give Neo a try. Maybe you will like it more than I did.

Final Score: 6.9/10

Last edited by gearhound; 09-06-2005 at 04:44 AM.
gearhound is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-2005, 09:54 PM   #17
Joe Redifer
Olé!

I like how the heroes in Neo Contra are so manly that they are able to run around on spinning helicopter blades just for fun! Ain't nobody here on this forum that is THAT manly! It is hilarious!
Joe Redifer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-2005, 09:57 PM   #18
gearhound
Versus the World

it really is, joe. bill rizer is a man's man. nobody can f'k with him.
Old 03-21-2005, 08:54 AM   #19
Icarus4578
Deal with it.

I don't understand how they can make so many kick-ass 8-/16-bit Contra titles, then downgrade for the more current generations. They've got all the processing power they need. They just lack the necessary creativity to pull it off.
Icarus4578 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-21-2005, 09:40 AM   #20
gearhound
Versus the World

the next contra title needs to be developed by treasure!!!!
Old 03-22-2005, 07:05 PM   #21
gearhound
Versus the World

i made some changes to my review of neo contra that i felt were necessary. it takes me a while to be completely satisfied with a review. i am never satisfied with my reviews for my college paper because i have limited space. oh well.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Icarus4578
I don't understand how they can make so many kick-ass 8-/16-bit Contra titles, then downgrade for the more current generations. They've got all the processing power they need. They just lack the necessary creativity to pull it off.
keep in mind that treasure developed most of the amazing contra games that we have played in those days. i wish they would develop the next contra...

Last edited by gearhound; 03-22-2005 at 07:08 PM.
gearhound is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-29-2005, 06:31 PM   #22
Reko8

Quote:
Originally Posted by Joe Redifer
Neo Contra PWNZ!!!!!
Wow I heard it was horrible with the worst controls and was the exact opposite of the original
Reko8 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-29-2005, 10:43 PM   #23
Joe Redifer
Olé!

Apparently he took my statement seriously as well.
Old 03-29-2005, 11:34 PM   #24
gearhound
Versus the World

dood, NEO does PWNZ
Old 03-30-2005, 09:24 AM   #25
Icarus4578
Deal with it.

gearhound ~ "keep in mind that treasure developed most of the amazing contra games that we have played in those days. i wish they would develop the next contra..."

I'm more than aware of that. But how can you have the knowledge that such kick-ass titles exist on previous consoles and then go downhill from there? That's preposterous.
Old 03-31-2005, 07:27 PM   #26
gearhound
Versus the World

Quote:
Originally Posted by Icarus4578
gearhound ~ "keep in mind that treasure developed most of the amazing contra games that we have played in those days. i wish they would develop the next contra..."

I'm more than aware of that. But how can you have the knowledge that such kick-ass titles exist on previous consoles and then go downhill from there? That's preposterous.
i know that you are aware. i think it is because they do not have a talented team like the treasure team to develop an amazing 2d contra.
Old 04-01-2005, 07:27 AM   #27
Icarus4578
Deal with it.

I heard that they even screwed up the Contra III port for the GBA. ...How? Thankfully, Konami and Treasure seem to be on good terms (Gradius V), and Sega still gets Treasure's support (Astro Boy for GBA).
Old 04-01-2005, 07:46 AM   #28
Messanic
I'm D-E-D, Dead!

They took out the multiple weapons, overhead stages, and cropped the levels. The graphics were horrible, and the animation was nowhere near as good as the SNES Contra III. They did add some stages from Contra Hard Corps, but that was to compensate for the lack of overhead stages, it also had horrible sound.
Old 04-02-2005, 06:29 PM   #29
gearhound
Versus the World

i will have a review of God of War up tomorrow. DMC 3, Megaman X8, Gradius V, and a few others will be posted soon as well.
Old 04-02-2005, 08:34 PM   #30
Joe Redifer
Olé!

Can't wait for the Gradius V review. I'm pretty sure that you approve of the game.