The MagicBox Forums  

Go Back   The MagicBox Forums > General Topics > MagicBox Member Reviews

Old 03-30-2006, 11:44 AM   #61
Nindalf

Quote:
Originally Posted by Icarus4578
With a title like Theme Park, are you actually expecting a classic?
Theme Hospital was gold.
Nindalf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-30-2006, 03:23 PM   #62
MarionetteKazuk
Problem?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Icarus4578
With a title like Theme Park, are you actually expecting a classic?
All my reviews aren't with just good games, just ones I've played regardless if they're bad or good. And I never said theme park was a classic.
MarionetteKazuk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-03-2006, 12:37 PM   #63
MarionetteKazuk
Problem?

Been a while since I reviewed something.

!!!!There may be spoilers!!!!

The New Super Mario Bros.

This game is of course one of the many games in the super mario series.

Story: Mario and Peach are strolling through good ol Mushroom Kingdom when LIGHTNING STRIKES THE CASTLE!!3Q! Mario, being amazed by the lightning decides to take a gander at it. While he's doing that Bowser Jr. decides to continue the family business of kidnapping Peach. He steals her and of course Mario decides to follow him like an idiot.

Graphics: Graphically the game's good. Not everything is in 3D like I thought (the backgrounds for example) but it was still combined will with the 3D elements like Mario and the enemies. Everything's pretty sharp and smooth in the game, it's not all jaggie like some games (animal crossing wild world).

Gameplay: This one kinda combined some of the moves from other mario games, for example being able to do the buttstomp from SM64, the double jump is almost like the triple jump in SM64, also when you run Mario goes faster it seems than in the other mario games. Also the walljump from SM64 is also in there. More or less they took the moves from SM64 (or at least a good portion of them) and put them into play in this game. I was expecting to be able to punch in the game, but it was a no go with that. The other element they added from a previous mario game was from Super Mario World of being able to hold a 2nd item which imo is very good in some situations, especially in the castle levels. The items you can get are pretty limited, they include:
-Mushroom
-Tiny Mushroom
-Giant Mushroom
-1up Mushroom
-Fire Flower
-Blue Shell Suit

I'm not sure if there were any more but I'm almost positive there weren't. Speaking of items, the Giant Mushroom does do some good in the game than just utter destruction. Depending on how much you destroy will give you some 1-up mushrooms. The tiny mushroom's good for getting into small pipes, secret areas and also at the end of a couple of boss castles you can access new worlds. The blue shell suit is my least favorite because it seems at times when you don't want him to go into the shell he does and then sometimes when you want to come out of the shell (with just the shell on his back) he won't.

The toad house is a little spin from the ones on SMB3, it still has the same "random item" deal, but they're more random on NSMB unlike SMB3 where you could memories pretty much which box an item was in.

With the boss batttles, all of the battles with Bowser Jr. are pretty basic and repetitive, during the first battles with him you can just repeatidly shoot him with fireballs to defeat him or jump on him twice. Later he starts to go into his shell to reveal his spikes that can hurt you, but it's foiled with just jumping over him and then jumping on him when he comes out. Then finally during the final battles he actually throws shells at you which you must jump onto and throw back at him and then give him a good ol fashion stomping to defeat him. Also the first (and pretty much the 2nd) Bowser battles are just exactly like in SMB1. The 3rd Bowser battle is more complicated but still easy to defeat him.

There is a good amount of world and levels in the game, but there's too many of them that can be easily beaten which makes the game shorter. Also Luigi being in the game is a plus

The mini games were just recycled ones from the SM64 DS game, but they included a few new ones.

Sound: The music pretty much fitted the game, however they used the same tracks too many times in different levels and I know they could've added a lot more background music. The sound effects are dead on correct such as the throwing of the fireballs, stomping on enemies, etc.

Scores:
Story: 6/10, It's a recycled ass story line which as been used one too many times. But it was made up for in the gameplay

Graphics: 9/10, At first I wanted a full 3D game meaning the background and the characters,enemies, items were 3D, but it turned out (at least to me it seemed) that only the characters and the enemies were in 3D and the rest were very well-made 2D. But after playing the game it seems to contrast better with the 2D/3D mix.

Gameplay: 9/10, The gameplay's excellent. The only downfall is of the blue shell suit which is optional (just like all of the items) if you want to use it or not, but other than that the gameplay's nearly perfect.

Sounds: 7/10, The music was good, but used way too often and the sound effects were good which bumped the score up by 1.

Get/Play it?
Yes. Honestly it's worth the money to get. It's a bit too short, but has some replay value to it. I haven't tried out the multiplayer yet so I'm not sure if it's any good or not (should be good though).
Old 09-03-2006, 07:18 PM   #64
Seraph
>:3

We own that game, but its my little brothers and he wont let me play single player.

You forgot to make any mention of the multiplayer, which is hands down the funnest single cart multiplayer game on the DS. oh the hours my brother and I have wasted.

I like blue shell though, once you get the hang of it the thing lets you fly through levels ;D
Seraph is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-03-2006, 07:22 PM   #65
MarionetteKazuk
Problem?

Quote:
Originally Posted by me
I haven't tried out the multiplayer yet so I'm not sure if it's any good or not
^ _ ^
Old 09-03-2006, 07:33 PM   #66
Seraph
>:3

what? you expect me to actually read your review before i comment on it?

i guess i just missed that part, find a freind with a DS now its an absolute blast
Seraph is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-03-2006, 07:42 PM   #67
Alexander
I speak with codes.

How you gave it a 6/10 in story is beyond me.
Alexander is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-03-2006, 07:44 PM   #68
MarionetteKazuk
Problem?

*points to the sentences next to the scores*
Old 09-04-2006, 08:45 AM   #69
SuperAngelo64
They call me "Derek G. Wop"

They should've had the multiplayer part be online, it is really fun and my sister is a bitch and got sick of getting owned and won't play it anymore.

I totally agree about it lacking length, and there is a replay value but.. it's not as shining and most Mario games in that department.

Speaking of replay value, you forgot to mention you just sold your copy =P.

Quote:
Originally Posted by seraph830
I like blue shell though, once you get the hang of it the thing lets you fly through levels ;D
It's only good for water levels (which are WAAAY too slow without it). Nothing is faster than chain-triplejumps ;D.
SuperAngelo64 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-04-2006, 12:37 PM   #70
MarionetteKazuk
Problem?

Yeah, i did sell mine, but before i did i replayed the game a good amount of times.
Old 09-04-2006, 04:27 PM   #71
MarionetteKazuk
Problem?

Animal Crossing: Wild World

Story: This game has no story to it. You basicly make up your own story depending on what you do in the game.

Graphics: The graphics are good, but some of the stuff is a bit jaggy, but it's not too jaggy so it doesn't bother me too much.

Gameplay: For any of you who have played the sims, it could be comparable to that. At the beginning a taxi driver is taking you to your destination, he'll ask where you're going and respond by putting the town's name. He'll also of course ask for your name and gender. He'll ask other questions that'll determine how your character will look like in the game. Once he's done rambling you'll arrive at your town. You have a house in the game which is upgradable by having Nook make the upgrades and paying him in bells (the currency in the game). You can do errands for the animals living there. At the beginning you work for nook and after a while you're basicly fired.

There are a lot of items to get in the game, some of the most common are the fruit on the tree which (from what i've seen so far) you can either eat it, sell it, or plant it in the ground and see if a tree will grow with that fruit. You can go to Nook's store and buy and sell stuff there as well. Nook's store is also upgradable. Depending on how many bells he makes from you buying his stuff will determine if he upgrades or not. Many things can be found like shells along the beach shore and also different bugs can be caught with the net, and fish can be caught with the fishing pole, all of which can be sold for bells.

Interacting with the characters is another feature. Sometimes if you talk to a character long enough they'll give you something to keep. And with the online play you can have people visit your town or you can visit their's, and not all of the towns look exactly the same. There isn't much to say about the online play except you can have up to 4 people in a town at once, and you can of course talk to them and trade stuff with them which is good in case you don't have an item that they have extras of, such as when welshfreak visited my town and gave me extra fruit he had to grow trees with ( :cool guy: ).

Of course there are other misc stuff that happens in the game such as wheather changes, season changes, hidden stuff like when you hit certain rocks with a shovel you can get money.

Controlling the character in the game is good because you can either use the d-pad or the touch screen. The touch screen is better if you want to walk/run the speed that you want, with the d-pad however you can either just walk or if you hold L/a/b you can run at full speed, so it's either/or with the d-pad. You don't exactly have to use the touchscreen much in the game, but sometimes it's better for some things than others.

Depending on what the date is will determine if there's an event or not, for example, some time in august they hold a bug-catching contest, after that you either have to wait a whole year for the contest to come around again......OR you can just adjust the clock to go back to that date again. And with changing the date (usually foward) a lot of weeds will grow in your town and the citizens don't like that. And a little tip for those who plan on getting this game, the color of your ds theme when you have the main ds screen where it shows pictochat, download play, etc, will determine your house's roof color at the beginning of AC.

Sound: There's always background music playing in the game, and it's not the annoying kind, it's usually a mellow-like sound. The characters in the game have a weird sound when they talk, but you can choose to have the sound on or off. Some of the character's houses have background music as well.

Scores:

Story: 6/10 - Not much of a story, but you can more of less make up what you do in the game for a story, but a good story could've been better.

Graphics: 8/10 - Not the best graphics for the ds that I've seen, but considering how much there probably is in the game they couldn't get the graphics better.

Gameplay: 9/10 - Good gameplay and there's the choice of using the touchscreen or not to move the character around. Also with the extras in the game it's good.

Sound: 8/10 - The sounds suit the game very well and they're not annoying songs either which of course is a plus, but they should've had more music.

Get/Play it?
So far I'm liking the game, so I say get it if you like the genre of the game, and since it has online play it's an added to it.

Last edited by MarionetteKazuk; 09-04-2006 at 04:31 PM.
Old 09-04-2006, 11:14 PM   #72
Alexander
I speak with codes.

You say it has no story and give it a 6/10. I don't understand your scoring system at all. Do 1-5 have a purpose?
Old 09-05-2006, 12:10 AM   #73
SuperAngelo64
They call me "Derek G. Wop"

Quote:
Originally Posted by Xander
Do 1-5 have a purpose?
PSP games.
SuperAngelo64 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-05-2006, 12:27 AM   #74
MarionetteKazuk
Problem?

No story is better than a shitty story. Since you can somewhat make your own story in the game it's good. And i'm pretty sure i said this before, but you don't have to go by the score i give it, you can go by either actually reading the review on why i gave it the score or right next to the score when i give that "final thought".
Old 09-05-2006, 08:59 AM   #75
Alexander
I speak with codes.

But how can a game without a story be above average in the story department?

Just out of curiousity. Reviewers usually hate to go below 7.