The MagicBox Forums  

Go Back   The MagicBox Forums > General Topics > PC / Games / Internets Discussion

Old 09-19-2005, 07:10 AM   #1
Alucard

Radeon Radeon R520 (1800XT) benchmarks

Some pretty interesting stuff here. I'm just going to put up the benchmarks for the 1024x 768 and 1600 x 1200 resolution benchmarks. No big need for the 1280 x 1024 since this thread will be spammed. Just hop over to the site to see the middle stuff.

Quote:
So what does the R520 architecture bring to the table exactly? For starters it is not the 32-pipeline architecture it has been rumored to be, it is half that, offering just 16-pipelines, which is less than NVIDIA?s G70 architecture that has 24. The R520 architecture will be introduced as the X1800 series, featuring the top-of-the-line Radeon X1800 XT with a 600MHz core clock and 700MHz memory clock, yielding an effective 1400MHz memory clock speed. The 600MHz clockspeed combined with 16-pipelines for the graphics processor will give it a lower fillrate than the GeForce 7800GTX though, although the 7800GTX? graphics processor runs at just 430MHz. With 512MB GDDR3 memory connected by a 256-bit wide memory bus the X1800 XT boasts more memory than the 7800GTX, but as shown before with 512MB version of the GeForce 6800 Ultra this will usually not help performance much, if at all.

The Radeon X1800 XT will ship with a $599 price tag, which is $100 to $150 more than what GeForce 7800GTX graphics cards are currently sold at, not exactly cheap. Other models in the Radeon X1800 series include the X1800 XL clocked at 550MHz core clock and 625MHz memory clock respectively at $499, the X1800 Pro at 500MHz with 256MB of memory running at 500MHz with a $449 price tag and to close the ranks ATI will offer a X1800 LE at 450MHz/450MHz for $349 with just 12-pipelines and 256MB of memory. With the help of a board partner we?ve been able to run the same set of benchmarks we?ve previously run on NVIDIA?s GeForce 7800GT and GTX, although we could only submit our benchmark scripts and testing configuration to them. The numbers you see reflected in the next few pages are therefore provided AS IS, as we have no way to verify them as we don?t physically have a board, they are accurate as far as we can see and in line what we?ve been expecting. So without further ado, let?s take a look at what the R520 architecture is capable of.

And here are the GOODIES!

Quote:
Our conclusion is a mixed bag really. The benchmarks were run on release candidate drivers for the Radeon X1800 Pro and XT, hence performance is not likely to change much before launch, but final clockspeeds have yet to be determined we've learned, hence it could go either way. On the other hand ATI has been able to wring extra performance from their drivers in the past, so we?d expect them to be able to pull that off here as well. Overall it looks like the Radeon X1800 XT is good match for the GeForce 7800GTX, although in most games the GTX clearly takes the lead. The Radeon X1800 Pro is slightly slower than the GeForce 7800 GT, although not by much. Considering the fact that we?ve used a top-of-the-line AMD Athlon FX57 processor, with 1GB of OCZ DDR400 memory on the popular Asus A8N-SLI Deluxe motherboard your mileage may vary, we honestly don?t know how these cards will do in a lower spec-ed system. With more pipelines, 24 vs. 16, the GeForce 7800 GT and GTX should have the advantage here.

Overall ATI has managed to finally bring the R520 architecture to market, although over 6-months late. If they had launched it earlier they?d have taken the market by storm, much like the GeForce 7800GTX did at launch. However it will now be a tough sell, the MSRP is around $599 for the Radeon X1800 XT, which is up to $150 more expensive than the GeForce 7800GTX which is faster overall. Same applies to the Radeon X1800 Pro, which will retail at $449, you can buy a GeForce 7800GTX for that amount of money, which honestly hands the Radeon X1800 Pro its own behind. For now it is clear that ATI has managed to launch a new line of graphics cards that keeps pace with NVIDIA?s, kudos to them for staying competitive.

In order for ATI to really compete with NVIDIA they?ll need to match their price tags and be able to ship in volume at launch. Unfortunately history has taught us that previous top-of-the-line ATI graphics cards were available as PE, press edition, only, with virtually no retail availability until months after the launch. We hope that ATI has learned a trick or two from NVIDIA that had immediate availability when they launched the GeForce 7800GT and GTX. Next stop for ATI is CrossFire, it?ll be interesting to see what two of these new Radeons are capable of when run side by side. Let?s hope for them they?ll be able to secure a decisive victory over NVIDIA, else I?ll be simply repeating myself when we cover CrossFire in detail.

Theres my little lovely in the middle of it all, the 6800GT!

http://www.hardwareanalysis.com/content/article/1813.6/
Alucard is offline   Reply With Quote
Connect With Facebook to "Like" This Thread

Old 09-19-2005, 08:13 AM   #2
Agamum

Radeon 9550 se

I wonder how a 9550 se whould stack up against all of those
Old 09-19-2005, 01:09 PM   #3
Alucard

Lets see...the weakest card there is the brilliant 6800GT..So... it gets 84fps in HL2, so a 9550se would get....hmm...possibly 24.
Old 09-19-2005, 10:26 PM   #4
ovejon

These results are not final and they should not be trusted.

Quote:
OUR GOOD friend Sander Saucy pants turned busy Friday afternoon and so therefore we had a long working weekend in front of us. Anyway he managed to raise hell as its "R520XT" numbers made Nvidia happy while ATI was not that happy at all with the scores.

Obviously ATI wanted to find out what was going on and who might have sent Sander Sassen the card, and it transpires ATI claims there's no possible way that those scores are true.

ATI claims it still hasn?t sent a single R520XT board to any of its partners. The Radeon X1800XT is getting ready and the first batch of the card is produced but not even the big OEMs have these cards.

We spoke with numerous people on Friday and Saturday, and it turns out that the only cards that might be available for some key partners are Radeon X1800XL cards.

Those cards are clocked at 500MHz core and 1000MHz memory and should be available in quantities at launch in first week of October.

One of the key things that you must bear in mind is that R520XL, Radeon X1800XL can not be overclocked well. Voltage leakage will prevent you to increase voltage and that will limit your overclockability. This voltage leakage was the key reason for such of delay of R520. Only the flagship Radeon X1800XT will overclock like crazy. So even if some board partners tried to overclock some of the Radeon X1800 XL cards it simply would not work as you could never even touch those XT speeds of 600/1400MHz, so ATI and others claim.

There are some theories about these scores but some people at ATI who have the access to R520 hardware claim that Sanders' numbers are completely out of range. To make it even more interesting, one source confirmed that even Geforce 7800GTX are out of the range.

We need to point out that ATI has a dispute with our friend Sander, as it has had with other colleagues of ours. Sander is apparently precluded from ATI's upcoming R520 editor gigs for reasons best known to ATI.

We hate to be in the middle of any wars, even though my job is to be the middle man to take all the dirt from both ATI and Nvidia but this is just getting ridiculous. Boys with toys I guess. Whatever happens you will see the real R520 scores in just over two weeks now if not sooner. ?.
Got this article over at www.theinquirer.net
ovejon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-20-2005, 02:45 AM   #5
Alucard

Should be funny when we hear they've delayed the card another 8months to revamp it. I will lol.
Old 09-20-2005, 04:05 AM   #6
Anthrax

Quote:
Originally Posted by ovejon
These results are not final and they should not be trusted.
Sure it can! http://www.hardwareanalysis.com/content/article/1814/
Anthrax is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-20-2005, 07:13 AM   #7
Alucard

ATI just got OWNED. That Bania guy sounds like his position has made his head too big. Glad my money goes to nvidia.
Old 09-20-2005, 07:22 AM   #8
spider-prime
NOW IN CINEMAPHONIC QUADROVISION!

Location: I hated going to weddings cause all the grandmas would poke me saying "you're next, you're next". They stopped saying that when I did it to them at Funerals.
man I need to upgrade my graphics card badly! 9600 pro radeon still
spider-prime is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-20-2005, 10:40 AM   #9
Alucard

Dont speak to me you old card using person!
Old 09-20-2005, 10:51 AM   #10
spider-prime
NOW IN CINEMAPHONIC QUADROVISION!

Location: I hated going to weddings cause all the grandmas would poke me saying "you're next, you're next". They stopped saying that when I did it to them at Funerals.
hahaha, I only got that card cause it was on sale for 56 dollars CDN hehehe

I'm a cheap bastard! hehe, but I really do want to upgrade soon, Counter-Strike Source runs so slow when playing on high player servers, I play in 40 player servers and it slows down whenever like 10 people are on screen at once... ouch hehe I get then 10 fps and can't even aim hahaha
spider-prime is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-20-2005, 10:54 AM   #11
ovejon

Quote:
Originally Posted by Anthrax
Sure it can!
He clearly stated in the article that the cards are preproduction so things could have been changed since then. So we can say that those benchmark are not final.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alucard
Dont speak to me you old card using person!
Aww whats wrong with him having a radeon 9600 pro
I'm personally running a radeon 9800 pro
ovejon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-20-2005, 01:36 PM   #12
Alucard

Well...9800pro is fine. Thats like over double the 9600. But you need to upgrade too. To the store! Gogogo!
Old 09-20-2005, 02:41 PM   #13
Mistatee
Linguistic Massacre

Well its computer upgrade time officially for me: Getting ready for Quake 4 and UT2k7.
I have decided to go with a Nvidia 7800 now. I had no idea that 7800 dominated so much that it beat current ATI and nextgen ATI. Its amazing!!!!!
Old 09-21-2005, 07:34 PM   #14
Anthrax

http://www.vr-zone.com/?i=2728&s=1

OH MY GOD!

What if you put 2x of them on SLI...??
Anthrax is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-21-2005, 09:14 PM   #15
Mistatee
Linguistic Massacre

The world would end.

On a GPU note while im here, I am purchasing a new GPU and cant determine if i should go with a 7800GT for $359 or a GTX for $479. I am asking for mega professional opinions here. Basically what i need to know, since im using a 9800XT, is will the GTX's 4 extra pipelines and slightly better clock speed be worth $120??

I must know soon!