The MagicBox Forums  

Go Back   The MagicBox Forums > General Topics > PC / Games / Internets Discussion

Old 11-14-2007, 10:49 PM   #1
Alucard

New AMD Radeon HD3850 and HD3870

These are specifically trying to compete with the 8800GT/GTS cards. Keep in mind the drivers aren't fully fleshed out yet so there could be an increase later.

Quote:
Both the ATI Radeon HD3850 and the HD3870 come in at a price significantly lower than their older brother, the Radeon HD2900XT. At US$179 and US$239 MSRP for the HD3850 and HD3870 respectively, the HD3870 will costs a good USD$60 dollars less than the NVIDIA 8800GT!. At about the same price, the HD3850 is delivering slightly better performance than can be expected of the 8600GTS which is a good sign for ATI. However, the HD3870, targetted at the 8800GT is just falling short of the latter's performance at this point in time, but the 60 dollar difference might just be the deciding factor for th enthusiast to grab a HD3870 over the 8800GT instead.

As the drivers for the HD3000 series are still immature, we might see the cards getting a performance boost once newer, optimized Catalyst drivers are released, which has been evident with the past few generations of ATI cards released.. Just like the 29XT, the RV670s both come with 5.1 sound onboard and are all-in-one HDMI solutions, something that cannot be found on Nvidia's cards.

It is also important to note that both cards have greatly reduced power consumption and heat production as compared to the HD2900XT. In the case of the Radeon HD3850, ATI has managed to cool it without the use of heatpipes unlike NVIDIA's 8800GT despite both cards having a similar power draw and a single slot cooling solution.

In all respect, ATI has demonstrated the advantage in moving to the 55nm process. That the HD3870's gaming performance generally matches, if not surpasses the HD2900XT is further proof of the advantages of moving to the new fabrication process. Added to that, ATI is pushing for CrossFireX which not only allows for more than 2 cards to be used in CrossFire configuration, it also allows for mixed-cards Crossfire abilities. With this, ATI is starting show positive signs in the direction they are taking, especially with the fantastic price point of the two cards, significantly lower than what their rivals are offering.

As for my useless thoughts, not too impressed. The 8800GT is still the better option if you were to look at one of these cards. They claim $60 cheaper now but by the time they come out it'll probably be $30-40 at most cheaper. Thats not good enough a difference in my book for the possible 20fps loss I'd get in certain games over the GT. I'll wait to see how it performs with the newer drivers, but I dont expect it to be anything too awesome. Never know though.

http://www.vr-zone.com/print/5392

http://www.tweaktown.com/reviews/122...dr4/index.html
Alucard is offline   Reply With Quote
Connect With Facebook to "Like" This Thread

Old 11-14-2007, 11:04 PM   #2
Decado

What are the settings for those games? Hard to believe GoW is as much a performance hog as Crysis...and that *any* current card can run Crysis at that resolution w/ everything maxed.
Decado is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-14-2007, 11:26 PM   #3
Alucard

They're most likely max detail but 0 AA/AF. People exagerate the power needed to play Crysis. If you want max AA at like 2400x res or something stupid then yeah, no card will do that. Gears of war most likely isnt optimized properly. Its the unreal3 engine and no game with that engine has slogged that low before. Stupid game anyway.
Old 11-14-2007, 11:44 PM   #4
spider-prime
NOW IN CINEMAPHONIC QUADROVISION!

Location: I hated going to weddings cause all the grandmas would poke me saying "you're next, you're next". They stopped saying that when I did it to them at Funerals.
The only thing that will make me decide between the 8800GT and the 3870 is the power requirements and cooling, I don't like cards that generate a lot of heat and not enough cooling, last time I got a card that used a lot of energy it fried in 2 months and the fans on it were fine just didn't cool it enough.
spider-prime is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-15-2007, 12:41 AM   #5
Alucard

You mean you're going to choose the aTI one no matter what cause you're an ATI whore and make excuses for the lower performance it gives you! AM I RITE?
Old 11-15-2007, 01:39 AM   #6
Antipilor
Predating Jesus by 1 mil.

Nvidia's got the leg up on this one. ATI's drivers suck, I'll wait to see its performance on some community made drivers. Not that I'm planning getting a new card... I got a car to think about (mumble grumble).
Celebrate relentlessness, Menace to society
Antipilor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-15-2007, 02:14 AM   #7
spider-prime

Location: I hated going to weddings cause all the grandmas would poke me saying "you're next, you're next". They stopped saying that when I did it to them at Funerals.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Alucard
You mean you're going to choose the aTI one no matter what cause you're an ATI whore and make excuses for the lower performance it gives you! AM I RITE?

excuse me... while I cut myself
Old 11-15-2007, 12:46 PM   #8
Antipilor
Predating Jesus by 1 mil.

If anyones interested heres Guru3d's review of the cards http://www.guru3d.com/article/Videocards/472/1
Celebrate relentlessness, Menace to society
Antipilor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-15-2007, 01:42 PM   #9
Alucard

Looks like the only game it actually beats the 8800GT convincingly at is Prey. Must be good with the Doom3 engine. Unfortunately that engine never took off.
Old 11-15-2007, 02:04 PM   #10
Chronos
fuggit

I've been thinking about whether or not to buy an 8800 GT and I've decided to wait for when I upgrade to a 1920x1200 native display and do it as one massive upgrade. For 1280x1024, my current monitor's native res, my overclocked 8800 GT is more than enough. I'm not so picky that I need to run max AF/AA Crysis.

PS: CoD4 performs brilliantly online. Better FPS than the single player game on higher settings!!@1
Chronos is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-15-2007, 02:05 PM   #11
Chronos
fuggit

D'oh! Must've clicked reply twice or something 'cuz it posted a duplicate message.

Last edited by Chronos; 11-15-2007 at 03:14 PM.
Chronos is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-15-2007, 02:33 PM   #12
Yoshi Girl
(mandy)

I like AMD because those are my initials. Other than that, I have no idea what's going on here.
XBL: Mandiford (send me a message so I know who you are)
Yoshi Girl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-15-2007, 10:28 PM   #13
Alucard

Intel are better then AMD currently.
Old 11-15-2007, 10:58 PM   #14
spider-prime

yeah, I'm suprised how good the core 2 duo processers are, my brother does heavy movie editing and FXs on his computer and with it, zooom, he doesn't get much lag at all.