The MagicBox Forums  

Go Back   The MagicBox Forums > General Topics > PC / Games / Internets Discussion

Old 12-03-2004, 06:07 AM   #16
Nephlabobo
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by bemanisuperstar
It wouldn've sold as much on the GC and you would need like 30 discs to play it on Cube.

Shenmue 2 is XBOX and should be XBOX until Ryo avenges his father.
Well Shenmue I & II were on DC cds. GC discs (I think) hold more info than a DC disc. It certainly wouldn't be "30".

It may be on Xbox but there's no way in hell it should be. That's why sales of part II failed.

Sega shafted themselves and Dreamcast owners by not releasing part II for the DC. They should've released it as a last hurrah to the Dreamcast and then ported both of them over to PS2. Because of Sega's idiotic business practices, we're likely not going to see any more installments of Shenmue. This online game is just rubbing salt in the wound.
Nephlabobo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-2004, 10:56 AM   #17
bemanisuperstar
Banned

GC discs hold 1.5 gigs as much as a DC disc.

Mue 2 would've been unplayable on Cube.

And Shenmue 1 didn't rack up stellar sales either.
bemanisuperstar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-2004, 01:10 PM   #18
Nephlabobo
Banned

You're saying (if I read right) that DC and GC discs hold the same amount - 1.5 gigs.

So why exactly would Shenmue 2 have been unplayable on GC? That doesn't make sense.

As for sales - maybe the first title didn't sell as well as hoped, but being on the Xbox didn't help it. They should've ported them to the PS2.

Simple business logic. It's where the RPG fans are, it would've sold a ton.
Old 12-03-2004, 02:29 PM   #19
bemanisuperstar
Banned

Sega sold a few XBOX to the hardcore crowd with Shenmue 2 my self included. there are many reasons it's best on XBOX which I won't get into here.

And it would've been unplayable on Cube because the Cube has the worst controller ever concived by man
Old 12-03-2004, 03:20 PM   #20
Nephlabobo
Banned

Au contraire.

The Xbox controller is like picking up a small, fat child. Easily the worst device ever created in the history of the universe

I like the GC controller - particularly for Soul Calibur II

I'm curious to know why you think iShenmue II is best on Xbox. I can't think of a single reason - except maybe graphics. Graphics don't matter if they don't provide the sales.
Old 12-03-2004, 04:41 PM   #21
bemanisuperstar
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nephlabobo
Au contraire.

The Xbox controller is like picking up a small, fat child. Easily the worst device ever created in the history of the universe

I like the GC controller - particularly for Soul Calibur II

I'm curious to know why you think iShenmue II is best on Xbox. I can't think of a single reason - except maybe graphics. Graphics don't matter if they don't provide the sales.
Don't make me laugh and mock you over your defense of the Cube birth defect controller.

Shenmue 2 is best on XBOX for many reasons.

1. the pad is not unlike a dreamcast pad
2. The XBOX and Dreamcast both run on a simular OS.
3. Gamecube sucks
Old 12-03-2004, 06:16 PM   #22
Nephlabobo
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by bemanisuperstar
Don't make me laugh and mock you over your defense of the Cube birth defect controller.

Shenmue 2 is best on XBOX for many reasons.

1. the pad is not unlike a dreamcast pad
2. The XBOX and Dreamcast both run on a simular OS.
3. Gamecube sucks
Well I like the DC but I really don't care for the DC controller. Much like I hate the XBox controller.

Number 2 is a valid reason I suppose. It makes it easier to port.

Number 3 is subjective. I'm certainly not rah rah Gamecube but in terms of sales - it would've been better to port it to EITHER GC or PS2. That's just simple logic. No matter what you think of the GC, Shenmue II would've sold better on GC than on Xbox. But it should've gone to PS2. And they made a HUGE mistake not doing that.

And the GC controller is far, far more comfortable than the Xbox's. If you have to prove your points by "mocking me" (ooh! I'm shaking!) then it obviously shows your full of crap.
Old 12-05-2004, 01:24 AM   #23
Kwestone
Registered drug User

bemanisuperstar regularily makes claims that he or no one else can back up... usually misaligned info or bias based bs based on what he thinks is cool.

take what is says with a grain of salt

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v4...collection.jpg

Mario Kart DS Code

420986 687506
Kwestone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-05-2004, 01:53 AM   #24
Magnus
The world's stopping but we keep going

Just a few points:

A GD-ROM holds 1.2GB of data, not 1.5GB like the Gamecube DVD.

Secondly, the Dreamcast and Xbox are very much seperate as far as hardware goes (consoles don't have operating systems, the dashboards are simply the BIOS). The closest thing that they have in common is that Dreamcast developers could use Windows CE if they wanted. Shenmue was rather easily ported to the Xbox simply because it was coded in C. Had it actually been coded in the Dreamcast's native assembly language (SH4 ASM) a port would of been impossible to the Xbox (x86 ASM). The Gamecube and Dreamcast actually have much more in common hardware wise than the Xbox and Dreamcast do.

Why wasn't Shenmue II put on PS2? Microsoft paid a crapload of cash for the North American exclusive rights. There are also said to be problems porting Dreamcast games to PS2, which is why Skies of Arcadia was cancelled. Had a port started they could of also ran into the same problems. There is also the possibility that since Shenmue II didn't sell well on both Dreamcast and Xbox, they didn't think returns from a port to the PS2 was worth the extra development time.
Magnus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-05-2004, 10:58 AM   #25
Nephlabobo
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Magnus
Just a few points:

A GD-ROM holds 1.2GB of data, not 1.5GB like the Gamecube DVD.

Secondly, the Dreamcast and Xbox are very much seperate as far as hardware goes. Had it actually been coded in the Dreamcast's native assembly language (SH4 ASM) a port would of been impossible to the Xbox (x86 ASM). The Gamecube and Dreamcast actually have much more in common hardware wise than the Xbox and Dreamcast do.
Thanks - I had no idea if this was the case or not.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Magnus
Why wasn't Shenmue II put on PS2? Microsoft paid a crapload of cash for the North American exclusive rights. There are also said to be problems porting Dreamcast games to PS2, which is why Skies of Arcadia was cancelled. Had a port started they could of also ran into the same problems. There is also the possibility that since Shenmue II didn't sell well on both Dreamcast and Xbox, they didn't think returns from a port to the PS2 was worth the extra development time.
Okay - that sounds like a real, legitimate reason. I wasn't aware of it but it sounds plausible enough. I've heard a few things about how PS2 is harder to develop for.

Heh. This whole thread has gotten completely off topic. My original point was (and still is) that it should've been ported to another system besides Xbox because it would've sold more either on GC or PS2. I can accept the difficulties with porting - I wasn't even aware that Skies of Arcadia was scheduled for PS2.

The fact is, no matter how much Bemani hates the controller, Shenmue II would've sold more on GC than it did on Xbox. :p
Old 12-06-2004, 02:55 AM   #26
TheHardware
The Moment..

im upset that they ae continuing with the crap....please sega stope developing it and pretend you never started ..people will forget when you release monkey ball 3.....