The MagicBox Forums  

Go Back   The MagicBox Forums > General Topics > PC / Games / Internets Discussion

Old 12-05-2004, 03:53 AM   #16
Matsta

Exclamation Help

Ive been checking out world of warcraft and everquest 2. I got the w.o.w beta, and it was alright, but my friends say everquest 2 is more fun. Which one to buy?
Old 12-06-2004, 06:58 AM   #17
Seska
Slurp

Depends what kinda experience you want to get out of your mmorpgs. One of the reasons WoW is so popular (other than the horde of battle.net kinds tagging along for "k3wl aDv3nTAReS!") is because its highly accessible and easy to get in for people who aren't used to the MMORPG genre. You can solo to level 18 in 8 hours, and while you have plenty of leeway to explore and do your thing, everything is easily accessible without spending a lot of time on it. And there's PvP, of course.

In EQ2, things aren't that easy. Its mostly about experimenting and exploring and playing with others. And lack of PvP in my opinion is a blessing, there is no rush to level just to "keep up" and "be the best". Yes, the selling system is kind of dumb and yes, the 6800 card performance is crap, but despite all this I find it immensely enjoyable. There are tons of things to keep you distracted with, and it dont just involve killing mobs and levelling up.

As I said before, EQ2 is kinda like Morrowind online. WoW is more a kind of diablo with the complexity of a mmorpg, more action based. Both are good, and I'll probably be playing WoW once EQ2 bores me, but so far Ive spent 3 weeks on the starting continent of Antonica and I havent even seen 50% of it, let alone any of the other high level areas. And if I still aint bored and theres so much still left to do and see, its a good sign.

Now excuse me while I go steal Alucard's electronium ores. :D
Seska is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-06-2004, 07:34 AM   #18
SpaceManSpiff
Spiff to the Rescue!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Seska
And lack of PvP in my opinion is a blessing, there is no rush to level just to "keep up" and "be the best".
How do you prove you are the best without fighting each other?
Old 12-06-2004, 07:41 AM   #19
Nindalf

Quote:
Originally Posted by SpaceManSpiff
How do you prove you are the best without fighting each other?
By matching wits, my dear Sherlock.
Nindalf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-06-2004, 09:39 AM   #20
Nem
Smash bro!

Seska, i dont understand why you just dont login normally. Youve gonne way after just making Alucard look bad.
I liked that input though, seems like E2 improved a good deal from E1. Ill have to check it out when i buy my newest PC next year
Old 12-07-2004, 11:14 AM   #21
Seska
Slurp

I do login properly, but my profile is oddly guest-like. I'll leave that for the mods to figure out.

How do you prove you are the best? Well thats the beauty of it, Spiff, you don't have to. Thats the difference between playing AGAINST each other and playing WITH each other (even though the latter might sound disturbing given a wrong context).
Seska is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-2004, 12:50 PM   #22
laicher21

I really like EverQuest so far. I am admittedly not very good at it. i've been playing for a couple weeks and am only in the teens, but I am still having a blast. there is so much to do, it's ridiculous.

I am the eggman, I am the walrus
laicher21 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-2004, 01:02 PM   #23
Reivenlocke
Leeeeroy Jenkinzzzzz!

I've given up on MMOs. They are chock full of people with adolecent behavior, and if you ask any kind of question, you are either met with silence or the infamous "n00b". Even if you join a guild, other guild members will not help you when you are in a bind because they have their own personal designs for the gaming world. As tempting as this game and WoW looks, I know from experience with many MMOs that these games will also be teeming with these kind of people.

"In the 80s, I was in bed by 8......and home by 11! OH!" - Glen Quagmire, Family Guy

"Good guy wins, bad guy loses. BIG FRIGGIN SURPRISE THERE!" - White Goodman, Dodgeball
Reivenlocke is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-08-2004, 10:01 AM   #24
laicher21

I actually haven't run into that many jerks so far in EQ2. I thought there might be when i bought it, but there have been surprisingly few. So far, it has been a really enjoyable expereince overall.

Old 12-08-2004, 06:19 PM   #25
Newtype

I haven't really played any MMORPGs but I doubt there's as many idiots in them than in competitive games. It's obvious they only start calling you when they're losing or something.
Newtype is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-09-2004, 11:13 AM   #26
laicher21

I'm not sure I would be very happy if there were a bunch of people annoying me all the time, but i haven't had to deal with that since I started in on EQ2. I've found more annoying people in action games recently.