The MagicBox Forums  

Go Back   The MagicBox Forums > General Topics > MagicBox Member Reviews

Old 05-09-2005, 10:21 PM   #91
Nem
Smash bro!

Seems like im the only one that likes the first one the most. I loved the atmosphere and the setting (even the mystery of the spawned genma). Something that wasnt quite accomplished in the 2 sequals.

Last edited by Nem; 05-10-2005 at 05:44 AM.
Nem is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-23-2005, 08:17 PM   #92
Nem
Smash bro!

Its been 2 weeks since ive posted something here
Im sorry, but im in the semestre final weeks and i dont have the time to play anything with all the work, hardly even review it. Dont worry, has of mid/late June ill start pumping out reviews again. ;)

Besides my promised reviews that have been running late, ill also promise a God of War and a Tekken 5 review by then. Look forward to it ( i will )

Last edited by Nem; 05-24-2005 at 11:45 AM.
Old 05-24-2005, 04:04 AM   #93
Sinful Sam
gnarf! gnarf!

Don't worry about it. Saved from Sin forgot about his.

STEAM: Sinfulsam
PSN: Sinfulsam
Sinful Sam is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-24-2005, 05:46 AM   #94
Paper exe
Pwnd

Quote:
Im sorry, but im in the semestre final weeks and i dont have the time to play anything with all the work, hardly even review it. Dont worry, has of mid/late June ill start pumping out reviews again
Same here, but I still have a lot of free time. My finale exam will be tomorrow. :bigsmile:

Also, the religion thread drains all of my free time.
Paper exe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-24-2005, 08:53 AM   #95
Icarus4578
Deal with it.

I also haven't done anything in a long while. I'm gonna review Space Harrier 2 next.

Tekken 5 blows. Complete waste of money and time, especially that sub-game with Jin Kazuya titled The Devil Within. Here's some advice: try it for one minute and then don't waste any more of your time with it. Trust me, there's no real payoff that's worth the aggravation.
Old 05-24-2005, 11:48 AM   #96
Nem
Smash bro!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Icarus4578
I also haven't done anything in a long while. I'm gonna review Space Harrier 2 next.

Tekken 5 blows. Complete waste of money and time, especially that sub-game with Jin Kazuya titled The Devil Within. Here's some advice: try it for one minute and then don't waste any more of your time with it. Trust me, there's no real payoff that's worth the aggravation.
Funny, ATMA told me he loved it. Thats why im so excited to get it. Hmmm... well, theres no choice but to play and judge for myself at the risk of my own money (im going to bundle it with God of War, so at least one of them is meant to be a great game ).

By the way, im curious to see that space harrier review
and funny avatar (the killzone one)

Last edited by Nem; 06-23-2005 at 05:56 PM.
Old 06-23-2005, 06:49 PM   #97
Nem
Smash bro!

Review: Anime

Movie

NARUTO - Daikatsugeki! Yukihime Ninpocho Dattebayo!!

Synopsis
uki no Kuni? is a country which was covered by eternal ices. It was a small country, but they had lived peacefully thank to a kind Daimyo, Kazahana Sousetsu. However, 10 years ago, a tragedy occurred. Kazahana Doto who was the little brother of Sosetsu revolted against Sousetsu, and took over the country.
At the moment he passed away, he gave Rokaku Suisho (hexagonal crystal) which consisted of snow crystals to his only daughter Koyuki. She was at a loss when she saw her fathers death. It was Kakashi in his youth that appeared there. He was there to fulfill some order.

Uzumaki Naruto has just graduated from Ninja academy, and he is still Genin (lowest rank Ninjya). However, he has a dream to become the best Ninja, called Hokage. In order to become a full-fledged Ninja, he is working in the 7th team led by Kakashi. Kakashi is the strongest Ninja in team 7, and he is called copy Ninja Kakashi.

The next order of Naruto is to guard a very selfish actress, Fujimi Yukie. She has acted as Fuun Hime of the big hit movie series, "Adventure of Fuun Hime". The last episode of the series is supposed to be filmed in uki no Kuni, but Yukie says that she wont go there, and she runs away from the studio. Naruto and other members forces her to go to uki no Kuni. However, three strong Ninjas, Roga Nadare, Fuyuguma Mizore, and Kakuyoku Fubuki are waiting for them. They were wearing evil arms, and attacked Yukie at once. There seems to be a relation between their attack and Koyuki, who has been missing for ten years.

Synopisis by animenfo.com (edited by me, so it could make some sense)

By now, theres no anime fan that doesnt know about the anime and manga series "Naruto". Its a widely spreading fenomenon usually compared to "Dragon Ball Z". After more than 100 episodes in the tv series, the first theatrical debut of "Naruto" comes about. It ends up not beeing a very special piece, but its something else for "Naruto" fans to feast their hunger for more on.

The animation in this movie is is easily better than the one that can usually be seen in the tv series. With that said, the best of it is that it now has a wider image for theatrical purposes. Nevertheless, this animation pales in comparison to other famous anime movies. Actually you will get the impression you're just watching a longer tv episode than actually a full fledged movie. In the end, its what it really is.
The Art is faithful to the manga's original, even though it goes off course on some points throughout the movie. Its nevertheless what one would expect of "Naruto".
Theres not much to say about the cast though. The usual "Team 7" members take on this misson by themselves. Forget about the support characters since all your going to see of them is a poorly achieved pre-movie gag of such bad quality that i wont even mention it. This movie does introduce new characters but none of them is especially interesting. The new villains are the lamest you'll ever see in a Naruto anime excluding fillers. They pose no threat and after an inicial flash, all of them prove to be nothing worth of notice and end up beeing defeated in a pretty cheap way.
With such uninteristing characters its obvious the story wont go beyong cheesy and dull. Beeing especially overrun by a sensation of "Been there. Done that.". And you only have to look at the second Naruto OVA to find out why. Dont expect any major plot twists. Actually, theres one. But you already know what going to happen next either way.
The score is a bit unimpressive. Seems like there wasnt much of an effort in this regard. Recycled tv series tunes and a new main theme. I actually enjoyed the main theme song ("Home sweet home" by YUKI) but the fact that it only played in the ending credits is laughable at best.

So, there you go. A movie. Unfortunely, its so void of content or interesting fights that it becomes anti-climatic from beggining to end. If you look at this just has another anime filler, then maybe you can find some enjoyment and be done with it. Personally, i just yawned through the whole piece.
Right... and theres that pre-movie short that will make you sick before you even begin to watch the short lengthed movie, but i said i wouldnt mention it ...

Rating 3/10

Last edited by Nem; 06-25-2005 at 12:58 AM.
Old 06-23-2005, 06:58 PM   #98
Nem
Smash bro!

Ah, finally i got the boring review outta the way. Unfortunely im in no conditions to review Baten Kaitos, God of War or Tekken 5 has of yet. Why? Baten Kaitos i stoped playing when i was aproaching the end due to my studies. So, i have to get back on the right mood to grab it again and finish it (its always the same. thats why i try not to begin an RPG unless i have time to finish it. Baten Kaitos was longer than expected so my bad there ^^). God of war has been delayed for a July 8th release in europe . Tekken 5 should get to me by tuesday next week.
Unfortunely the biggest set back on my plans is Guild Wars, that, has some of you might have guessed, im hooked on
Anyways, my copy of SNK vs Capcom arrived with my copy of Guild Wars a couple of weeks ago, so im probably gonna give it a review in the next days

Last edited by Nem; 06-23-2005 at 07:01 PM.
Old 07-23-2005, 02:36 PM   #99
Nem
Smash bro!

Review: Videogame

Platform: Gamecube

Genre: Traditional RPG (card RPG?!)

Baten Kaitos: Eternal Wings and the Lost Ocean

Monolith Soft's Baten Kaitos is the first RPG the company created aside the Xenosaga Series. The story behind this company is that its composed of ex-square emplyees that worked on Xenogears. And while it doesnt show that much on the slightly disappointing Xenosaga i think i finally saw some of that team's long lost spark in this game. Unfortunely theres some down sides that throw the games enjoyment in a pit. Its therefore one of those "love it" or "hate it" kind of games.

some pretty 2D graphics

The game begins in both a grandiose and awful way. You are treated to a good looking CG intro narrated by the most irritating and unconvincing voice over ever. Its actually a head scratching voice. Probably the most horrid piece of voice over i ever heard. Its beyond me why Namco didnt just leave the original japanese speach in the intro since it was in well spoken english. Instead they chose to give us this little scare.
Has you can probably guess... beware of the voice acting in this game. Hopefully you can turn the voices off, but a few dreaded cut-scenes of silence will cut at you too. Its a matter of wich you dislike the less. Somehow, i got used to the voice acting along the way. Maybe it improved a little since the actors finally realised they had a great script in their hands or maybe i just got used to it.
Hopefully the music score that accompanies this game is one of the best this generation. I know that that isnt saying much given how disappointing this gen has been in terms of RPGs, but this titles "star ocean: the second story" meets "chrono cross" music style greatly improves its enjoyment. Oddly enough, none of the themes sticked with me. But, i sure noticed them while i was playing.

Unlike most games this gen, Baten Kaitos features 2D backgrounds with 3D battles. But the game looks amazing nevertheless. These are the best 2D backgrounds to grace any RPG. Clouds, steam, plants and flowers moving in the background... lots of detail to make the best of your visual expericence. The 3D battle stages look has you would expect them to. But honestly, you will hardly have time to notice what the battle backgrounds look like. Why? Because in this game you have limited time to make your moves. And that leads us to this games highlight and downfall. The card based battle system.

In this game you have decks of cards you use to battle monsters. Theres offensive, defensive , recovery and what i like to call "odd" cards that have various effects from doing nothing to improving or damaging certain stats. When in battle, you will want to play the attacking cards in you enemies preferably by doing extra damage strings by playing the cards in a certain order or with repeated numbers. Numbers?! Yes, every card in Baten Kaitos has 1 to 4 numbers that range from 1 to 9 on its edges that you can use to play it with. Has i noted before, certain strings of numbers will warrant you extra damage and you will want that. Everytime one of your characters plays they will typically use attack cards on their enemies. This is called the attack phase. While you are attacking your enemy with offensive cards he can counter them with defensive cards. Thus taking his defend phase. The same happens when its you character the one being attacked. This might sound like something annoying, but its not. Its where the balance of the game resides has well has the potencial fun of this battle system. Unfortunely, things arent this simple. Some cards, mostly the recovery and "odd" ones have a tendency to evolve or degenerate. And while its fun to see some of them evolve, the degenarating will annoy you to hell. Especially since it happens to most recovery cards given they are usually food and will rot. This not only creates you the problem of having to find new recovery cards but also tends to only be noticed when you're battling a boss. Dont ask me why. Its the way it happened with me. Its annoying when realistic takes first place to fun. Everyone likes to upgrade their deck, but no one enjoys when its beeing downgraded. Something completely passable.
Theres more though. In battle, you have a limited amount of time to make your choices. While in the beggining of the game you have 30 seconds to make your first choice of cards and strategy for the play, in the rest of the game its not unusual to have only about 3 to 5 seconds to do the same thing. Also its in this time frame that you can see how your characters life bars are and to reach out the first selected card to play in your hand. This will lead to many lost turns due to time and ultimately lead you to make decisions based on what you're looking at at the moment instead of something planned. When this happens its more like the game is playing you then you playing the game. It can be quite irritating. This limited time stole much of the enjoyment in the title and god only knows why Monolith decided to do it this way. On a side note, there are no random encounters but you can only run away from battle with a certain card.

Xelha ditches some pain

Theres good news though. This game has a great storyline. Twists and turns at every corner. Once you think something is safe to assume the game will move on to crush it. It was here in this story that i finally saw the long lost spark of the team that made Xenogears. Theres a background, revelations and the already mentioned twists. Also in this story, the player is a character has well. More like a spirit that accompanies Kalas - the main character. You will be prompted a few questions along the way and characters recognize the importance of your existance. I spent the whole game hoping to incarnate on a body in the game but unfortunely it never happens. A shame i say. It wouldve been a fun twist.
The story is great but it cant be in the same level of Xenogears and FF7. Why is that then? The characters. The characters in Baten Kaitos are very unenlightened. Most of them have pretty boring personalities. Especially Savina and Lyude. At one point you will just want to say "Go away already. You're not helping anything to the game". Gibari is the usual support good guy. Kalas and Xelha arent so bad because they are really well developed during the game. Hopefully theres also a great character in their midst. The great Mizuti will always say something obvious but totally outrageus, wich makes her hilarious. A great character. The rest of the supporting character is filled with useless personalities. Even the main villain is quite boring.

On the bright side, i took about 60hours to complete the game and i didnt do everything. In the end, the problem is that the game becomes less fun with the decreasing of time given to your characters turn. You will only strive forward since the story is so interesting. This game could've been great but Namco/monolith limited it to good only. Also i wouldnt like to see this card based battle system in every game in the series, but i guess its a lost hope.
All in all, an interesting game without those neverending dungeons that make you go "yawn".

Rating 7/10

Last edited by Nem; 07-25-2005 at 03:11 PM.
Old 07-23-2005, 02:42 PM   #100
Nem
Smash bro!

Yay a review!! Got some time while i was waiting for Gundam Seed Destiny 40 to finish download (also cause i finally took 2 days off of guild wars to finish Baten Kaitos ). Now im off to watch it

edit: Fixed a number of gramatical and sense errors for your reading pleasure.

Last edited by Nem; 07-25-2005 at 03:13 PM.
Old 07-23-2005, 05:38 PM   #101
Paper exe
Pwnd

What I hate about Baten Kaitos is that, I already know what to do and what card I want to use, but when my turn comes, I don't have enough time to select it, because it is to far away, but with NDS it will fix the worst part about the game in my opinion.
I also agree with you when you said.
Quote:
Its annoying when realistic takes first place to fun.
Old 07-23-2005, 06:35 PM   #102
SavedFromSin
RAWR!!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sinful Sam
Don't worry about it. Saved from Sin forgot about his.

after you read three novels and written three 10 pages papers within a month then you try to write reviews.

The above post wasn't checked for: spelling or grammatical errors, comma splices, awkward phrases, run-on sentences, subject-verb agreement, and other errors in the English language.
PSN=MrBear14518 XboxLive=Teaching Bear
SavedFromSin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-24-2005, 05:06 AM   #103
Icarus4578
Deal with it.

I haven't played a new, good RPG in quite some time. Looks like I'll be passing on this one as well.
Old 10-08-2005, 09:10 PM   #104
Nem
Smash bro!

Review: Videogame

Platform: Playstation 2

Genre: Action

God of War

In our sequal driven market a new franchise is always a lump of fresh air. God of War came out of some shady Sony Santa Monica studio and took the market by storm by betting heavily on violence, looks, gameplay and greek mythology. Did they came out with a decent product in the end? Well... yes they did. Its actually one of the best efforts seen this gen, but its not without its shortcomings.

Kratos: the main character. Not the friendliest of chaps is he?!

Lets start by the obvious. This game features one of, if not the best graphical engine to grace the Playstation 2 system. Water effects, textures architectural beauty, great framerate, all of these combine to create a beautifully rendered greek mythological world. In combat all the combos and magics unleash special effects feasts. This has an a "soul calibur effect" where you unleash attack not only cause you want to defeat the enemy but also cause they sure are pretty to look at.

The main character is very well animated, has are most of the monsters you will cross paths with. This is extremely important in this genre since it directly influences your gaming experience.
The gameplay is where this title rightfully shines the most. Every of Kratos (the main character) moves are fast paced and the envirenments are interactive. You can hop in a ladder in mid air, you can and will hop through rotating platforms and walk though thin ledges to move on. But, most of all you will unleash a series of destructive combos through Kratos cleverly designed double chain blade weapons. This means that while they are no bigger than large knives, they can extend while you do you combos to effectivelly hit and damage your opponents.
Through the adventure Kratos will also gain some magic spells and another weapon that will increase the options of moves and strategies in combat.
Unfortunely, its in the quantity of moves and weapons that lies one of my beefs with this game. You only have 2 weapons: the main chain blades and a large heavy sword. Compared to titles like the recent Devil may cry, this is a very short array of weapons and the combos end up getting a bit repetitive. Is you will be rewarded to change strategies during battles due to the nice enemy AI but if your like me and like to vary your combos and weapon choices you will find the game lacking in this department. Of course the most important part of achieving a highly enjoyable combat system was achieved. So, maybe something to go for in the sequal.

The sound score is average to good id say. Theres no memorable themes like in the Legacy of Kain series though. The soundtrack is nevertheless enjoyable and fitting. Its just not something you'll pay heavy attantion to, since this game doesnt have much exploring. Its very much just arrive and crush everything in your sight aside from the few but well conceived puzzles.
The story was one of the things that lead me to get this game, but it was where it utterly failed in my opinion. Kratos i a Spartan warrior set on getting revenge from the God the once served: Ares ( the greek god of war). Its a fairly interesting outset, but the fact is that the story doesnt evolve much from that. The story revolves around Kratos and his quest but the secondary characters get no attantion making this a heavily introspective quest. The problem is that most of that story had already been leaked to the net through the promotional trailers. Theres really nothing to look forward aside from the interesting ending.

This is both good to make and to look at!

The durability of the main quest is satisfying. Around 8-10 hours. Unfortunely i didnt get the idea i made a big epical journey since i only visited Athens, a small desert and an Overly sized temple and a more obscure place. Theres not really the feel that you made a big journey. This on the other side leads to a less painfull replay of the game. Yes, you will be incentivated to beat the game in God mode to unlock some more of the several interesting extras this game includes (from alternative outfits to a "making of" featurette).

All in all, God of Wars suceeds in creating a new and interesting world and an enjoyable combat system rivaling and maybe surpassing that of its main competitor in the genre Devil May Cry 3. This game is very well balanced and overall its a much better experience in gameplay terms. But, in terms of providing a quality story it fails miserably. Also, the fact that it only features 2 bosses is disheartening.
Final Word: A great franchise with room for improvement. And like the game's final message, without a doubt "Kratos will return".

Rating 8/10

Last edited by Nem; 08-28-2006 at 12:58 AM.
Old 10-09-2005, 11:34 AM   #105
Paper exe
Pwnd

Good review, Nem.
For me I still think the movie like music kills it and why I give it a 7 of 10. They really pissed me off by using movie like music, I was faring that day to come and it did and they support this lame idea, because of there lack of originality and actually a normal music maker. Any game that tries to weak me from denial will be decreased a point or two!1!!