The MagicBox Forums  

Go Back   The MagicBox Forums > General Topics > PC Games Discussion

Old 06-17-2005, 09:37 AM   #16
Alucard

Thats the cool thing about the PC mod community. Theres THOUSANDS of them out there making mods for almost every game. Its also one way to get a job in the games industry since they see your work first hand.

But yeah, the PC games community is really spiffy.
Alucard is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-17-2005, 03:58 PM   #17
Decado

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alucard
Were you after turn based combat or something.
For that style? That would have been pretty bad. No, I was simply after a good combat system and mechanics. The original concept before the Xbox version went into development sounded FAR superior to what they ended up with.

I love TBed combat, but only if you're controlling more than one character (Fallout is the exception).
Decado is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-17-2005, 04:11 PM   #18
Alucard

The combat definately could of been alot better. I really believe the Xbox half killed alot of ideas they had for Morrowind. Though the game at least does control similar to the other Elder Scrolls games int he series, so it fits in just fine. Heres hoping the next one they dont cut corners. But to be totally honest, despite being an Elder Scrolls whore, I'm more interested in Fallout 3. I cant WAIT for them to bring this out.
Old 06-17-2005, 04:38 PM   #19
Decado

I don't really like Bethesda. I don't really care too much about the Elder Scolls franchise, as the games were always better ideas than, well, games. I'd rather see the company go under than release Fallout 3 (Fallout being my 2nd favorite franchise and I *know* they're screwing it up).

All and all I consider the PC gaming scene to be pretty depressing right now (though as you move East it gets better).
Old 06-17-2005, 07:25 PM   #20
Alucard

I've still got a mountain of PC games to get through. And Battlefield 2 coming out next week is going to kill me. I am dying for their Fallout 3, mainly because they're huge fans of the series aswell. I doubt they'll screw it up. Infact I'll put a happy little internet bet with you on this. If the game comes out and it feels and looks like a Fallout game and is good, you are to become my understudy!
Old 06-17-2005, 08:23 PM   #21
Decado

LOL! What criteria do you want to use? What if it doesn't?

Mistland said they're huge fans of Jagged Alliance, and look how things are shaping up at their end :annoyed:

Bethesda have already said they're making major changes to the franchise. AFAIC, Bethesda doesn't have the talent or drive to make an awesome Fallout game. They're too mass market (their games are practically anti-Fallout), and they're already set on butchering the combat system and eliminating the isometric view.

Most of the bigger budget PC stuff is being multiplatformed and looks average and EA is at their "milking" stage. I see very little out that I really want to play and the 95% of the games I'm interested in don't have solid dates.
Old 06-18-2005, 03:07 AM   #22
Alucard

They never said they were removing the isometric view and changing the combat. They said they are experimenting with different things and ideas. In the end Bethesda know how nasty the PC gamer audience is if you screw up their favourite titles. Just ask Eidos and Ion Storm. Pretty sure they'll do us proud.
Old 06-18-2005, 03:20 PM   #23
Decado

Pretty sure they did, and 99.999999999999% sure they will. They've also confirmed the game will be multiplatform, which made me want to puke.

The backlash has already been huge...but Bethesda doesn't care, as I suspect they're aiming to broaden the series' appeal to the point where the core fanbase won't matter.
Old 06-19-2005, 03:59 AM   #24
Alucard

Almost every developer out there is going multiplatform. Despite the Fallout series on the consoles being fairly average to bleah, they still played the same. So I dont think multiplatform should be a huge problem for us. The only backlash thats happened is that the original Developers arent creating the game. Thats not Bethesda's fault so we should be giving them a chance. Though I sort of would have prefered they give the contract to Nivel. Anyway I'm still looking forward to it. Despite everything, one thing I can be sure about Bethesda is they'll do the series proud by keeping the depth of content in the world still there.
Old 06-19-2005, 02:14 PM   #25
Decado

Quote:
Almost every developer out there is going multiplatform.
Just because "everyone's doing it" (though I think the smarter ones are doing all they can to stay exclusive), doesn't make it any less bad.

Quote:
Despite the Fallout series on the consoles being fairly average to bleah, they still played the same.
Wow, any bet is off. There's no way I'm taking your opinion on Fallout 3 seriously.

Quote:
So I dont think multiplatform should be a huge problem for us.
It was a serious enough problem for Morrowind, and Fallout 3 will have a mere fraction of the resources allocated to it that The Elder Scrolls games will have. The fact that Bethesda is multiplatforming the game *alone* is enough to kill any hopes I'd have had for FO3 in their hands. It's bad enough for any other type of game...but for a game like FO it is death.

Quote:
The only backlash thats happened is that the original Developers arent creating the game.
You haven't been paying close enough attention. People couldn't care less who develop's FO3, as long as it's a REAL FO3. The backlash has come because it looks like Bethesda is going to royally f#ck the game up.
Old 06-19-2005, 03:15 PM   #26
Alucard

Quote:
Originally Posted by Decado
Wow, any bet is off. There's no way I'm taking your opinion on Fallout 3 seriously.
Ok I must admit I havent actually played or seen the console versions. I figured Brotherhood of Steel on PC would pretty much mimick how the console versions were since the same team made them. Are they really that different?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Decado
You haven't been paying close enough attention. People couldn't care less who develop's FO3, as long as it's a REAL FO3. The backlash has come because it looks like Bethesda is going to royally f#ck the game up.
As of yet they havent fucked anything up. I was looking through a few sites recently like that No Mutants Allowed site, and I dont see much backlash anywhere. Most Fallout fans I know of seem to be sitting back and crossing their fingers. Untill they screw it up, I aint crucifying them.
Old 06-19-2005, 03:26 PM   #27
Decado

Quote:
Ok I must admit I havent actually played or seen the console versions. I figured Brotherhood of Steel on PC would pretty much mimick how the console versions were since the same team made them. Are they really that different?
They're not even the same genre. That said, BoS was pretty awful, too (but at least the general idea was somewhat decent).

The Xbox/PS2 version of Fallout were like a really bad version of Baldur's Gate Dark Alliance or Champions of Norrath.

Quote:
As of yet they havent fucked anything up. I was looking through a few sites recently like that No Mutants Allowed site, and I dont see much backlash anywhere. Most Fallout fans I know of seem to be sitting back and crossing their fingers. Untill they screw it up, I aint crucifying them.
That's because they haven't been talking about the game recently. The backlash occured quite some time ago when Bethesda was actually talking a bit about their plans. Since then, they've wisely kept their much shut about how they intend to ruin the franchise (even more).

It is pretty rare to see fan backlash have a serious affect on a game's development, but if we're lucky, this will be one of those rare cases. I don't see it happening, though, not with Bethesda investing in the console audience, too. If the game wasn't going to be multiplatformed I would say there's a small chance.
Old 07-03-2005, 12:10 AM   #28
Yogi

Hey alucard,

Could you tell what's the modder's name for the pics you posted..

The new textures are awesome!
Yogi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-03-2005, 06:49 AM   #29
Alucard

To be honest I dont recall them. I probably should of put a link for each one. But like I said I only looked through the first 200 of almost 3000 mods. You'll have to ferret through and maybe find better ones then I did