The MagicBox Forums  

Go Back   The MagicBox Forums > Console Specifics > Nintendo Discussion

Old 09-25-2019, 11:00 AM   #1
Rubeus

New Videos Suggest the Nintendo Switch Lite Might Have a Drift Problem Too

Maybe getting a refund and get a regular Switch instead?

Click for full size

Quote:
New Videos Suggest the Nintendo Switch Lite Might Have a Drift Problem Too

A teardown of the new Nintendo Switch Lite shared on YouTube revealed the new handheld console’s joysticks are very similar to those used on the original Switch, leading many to speculate that joystick drift could still be a problem. But now, just a few days after it hit stores, a Reddit user shared a video of their Switch Lite already exhibiting the dreaded drifting effect. It could be an even bigger issue on the mobile-only device.

Spawn Wave, the YouTube channel that shared the Switch Lite teardown, found the new portable console used analog joysticks that looked identical to those used in the original Switch’s detachable Joy-Con controller. In terms of design and materials they looked identical to the naked eye, but the Switch Lite’s joysticks did feature a different part number, leading many to wonder if they were actually updated hardware that addressed the drift problem affecting the original Switch console where input would be detected by a game even if the joysticks weren’t being touched.

But if a video shared by Alexis Javier yesterday is to be believed, which shows the camera in The Legend of Zelda: Breath of the Wild spinning all by itself after one of the sticks is gently nudged, the Switch Lite’s joysticks are susceptible to the same drift problem as the original models are.

Assuming the video is real, it reveals an even bigger problem for the Switch Lite. The detachable Joy-Cons for the original Switch are easily replaceable and relatively inexpensive. So if Nintendo turns down a user’s request for a repair or a hardware swap, the console is still playable after a quick trip to the video game store. But the Switch Lite is an all-in-one machine, and repairing its analog joysticks requires the entire console to be disassembled; that’s extensive surgery that will require it being shipped off to Nintendo or a repair center to complete, which many users have reported takes a few weeks.

Some users have been able to reduce the joystick drift they’ve been experiencing on the original Switch with simple hacks like simply squirting contact cleaner into the base of the joystick. It’s not a recommended approach for the Switch Lite, however. If you damage one of the original Switch’s Joy-Cons, it’s self-contained and easily replaceable. If you squirt contact cleaner into your Switch Lite it will undoubtedly cause more damage and void your warranty in the process.

We’ve reached out to Nintendo for comment on this issue and will update this post when we hear back.

https://gizmodo.com/new-videos-sugge...ave-1838363969
Rubeus is offline   Reply With Quote
Connect With Facebook to "Like" This Thread

Old 09-25-2019, 12:10 PM   #2
Hagane
Unlucky dog

But there's also no guarantee that the controller won't come defective. So far nintendo just said that they'll fix the drift with no charge but they haven't made any promises that they'll ensure that further production won't have the same problem.

Quite a screw up for nintendo and their so called seal of quality. This is the type of situations why I always wait before spending on a new console.
Hagane is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-25-2019, 10:31 PM   #3
spider-prime
NOW IN CINEMAPHONIC QUADROVISION!

Location: I hated going to weddings cause all the grandmas would poke me saying "you're next, you're next". They stopped saying that when I did it to them at Funerals.
Yah, I wouldn't buy it just cause of this.

Both my joycons have it, luckily most games I play only need the pro controller and nothing else.
Oh well, at least it isn't the red ring of death like the 360 had. lol I rather just have to replace controllers than a whole system every time.

But, I guess people who buy the lite will have to do just that if they get this problem.
spider-prime is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-25-2019, 11:19 PM   #4
Nem
Smash bro!

Oh wow, i didn't know that was going on.

Ergh... it really doesn't look like i am gonna buy a switch. I already find it overpriced. Defective analog sticks on top of that... no thanks. :/

I will buy the next failure Nintendo console instead. Seems to be how i roll. I do enjoy those better. xD

Gogo GC and Wii U! (Shh... lets leave portables out of this!)
Old 09-25-2019, 11:52 PM   #5
spider-prime

Location: I hated going to weddings cause all the grandmas would poke me saying "you're next, you're next". They stopped saying that when I did it to them at Funerals.
Most people are lucky, they only have it slightly, and it can be fixed yourself, but it's annoying to fix yourself cause of how it's all compacted inside and tiny. People replace the analogs themselves, apparently, they don't cost much and sometimes, people said it's something in the way of it's sensors and just need to be cleaned and it fixes it for awhile. But, you still have to open it up and make your way to it.

But, meh, Nintendo is replacing them for free at least, I will probably send mine in later, not worried about it really since I don't really use them.

But, if you get a switch for handheld mode. Just get these.

https://www.amazon.ca/Nintendo-Switc...gateway&sr=8-3

Uses more of your battery, which is it's major con, but since the newer switches have bigger batteries, shouldn't be too bad on those compared to the older models.

These only work in handheld mode, but work 30 times better cause so far, I haven't or anyone that I've said that gets them say there is the drift problem, like Nintendo's.

I wouldn't get the switch lite just cause these are much better, also why get the model with less features?
Old 09-26-2019, 04:02 AM   #6
Paper exe
Pwnd

Quote:
Nintendo Switch Lite Might Have a Drift Problem Too
That's awful!! I blame Spider Prime. Just look at how much he knows about it. No doubt in his involvements. ��
Paper exe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-26-2019, 04:15 AM   #7
spider-prime

Sony pays me a lot to spy on them and bad mouth them! MWHAHAHAH!