The MagicBox Forums  

Go Back   The MagicBox Forums > General Topics > Community Board

Old 09-11-2005, 07:11 AM   #1291
Escaflowne2001
... ... ... ...

Most anime DVD's here that aren't from Manga Entertainment are ?19.99 here in the UK most more then anyother single DVD's in the shops it's pretty stupid.
Escaflowne2001 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-11-2005, 12:09 PM   #1292
spider-prime
NOW IN CINEMAPHONIC QUADROVISION!

Location: I hated going to weddings cause all the grandmas would poke me saying "you're next, you're next". They stopped saying that when I did it to them at Funerals.
yeah its the samething here also, manga dvds are like 18.99 dollars here, cheaper then most dvds
spider-prime is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-11-2005, 08:12 PM   #1293
Keits
Kaizoku da!

So did anyone catch the Naruto dub?

I did. I'd give it a 3.5/10.

Blood is almost completely removed. Any blood that could be brushed over IS brushed over. For a show about Ninjas and killers, this is extremely lame.

The translation takes a few acceptable liberties, and a few unnacceptable ones. For some reason, its okay to name teachers using the '-sensei title, but its not okay to leave '-sama after someone respected like the Hokage (who is now Lord Hokage). Its also okay, for some reason, to translate the name of a technique, but leave the word 'Jutsu' at the end (which means Technique....).

You either go one way or the other. Its "Kage Bushin no Jutsu" or "Shadow Clone/Replication Technique", not "Kage Bushin Technique" or "Shadow Clone Jutsu". It sounds stupid.

Most of the voice actors so far are pretty bad. Konohamaru is right on the money, and Naruto is okay until he laughs. Iruka, Hokage/Satorobi, and Mizuki all sounded really second-rate. Granted, these are minor characters (for the most part), but they each have small strings of episodes in which they are very major characters. The Third vs Orochimaru is going to be retarded without any blood and with Hokage sounding like he does.

In the end, it could be worse. But not much worse. F' you, Viz. All your dubs are freaking terrible. Thank god I'll still be able to get my fan-subbed episodes from Japan. I'm waiting on 151 right now... what will happen to poor cute Hyuuga Hinata?
Keits is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-11-2005, 08:20 PM   #1294
Dr. Bombay
ificouldjustbemorehuman

I thought it was pretty good. IT was an above average dub to say the least.

The reason why they didn't leave in -sama is because little kids who watch don't know what sama means. Sensei is universal enough that children from this country understand the meaning.

And honestly, I expected the terrible viz translations to remain, like "Doppleganger technique", "copywheel eye" and " evil eye". I'm still shocked that they left in Sexy No Jitsu. And most of hte blood was left in. They cut out all airborne blood, but blood on clothing was left completely in.

I thought most of the voices were okay. The only voices I thought were terrible were Ino, Shikamaru and Sakura. Everything else was really good, especially the Hokage.

If they leave in the Naruto X Sasuke kiss from the next episode in, then I think the dub will be okay when it comes to questionable material.
~And The Lies There, The Scent Of It, Just Too Much~

~So Should You~
~Sow It Once and Make It Grow, The Sweet Clematis~
~Let It Flower, and Paint it All Of The Colors Old~
Instantly Things Fall and Fade, Return to Silence~
~Why Oh Why, Why Does It All Feel So Sorrowful?~
~Dreams Of What Is Real~
Dr. Bombay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-11-2005, 11:32 PM   #1295
Vegetto
Alive

lol thats exactly what I was thinking, im like damn the kiss better be in there!
Vegetto is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-11-2005, 11:34 PM   #1296
Vegetto
Alive

Quote:
Originally Posted by rahzel
anyone here watching eureka seven ?

I saw the first ep, I got like 9 eps on my cpu but havent watched them yet

right now im watchin Bleach, up to ep 24 or 25 cant member wich one
Vegetto is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-2005, 12:40 AM   #1297
Keits
Kaizoku da!

Normally I'd let you have your opinion, and just stick to mine... but... I think you are out of your mind about this. Have you seen the Japanese version? Comments in bold.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dr. Bombay
I thought it was pretty good. IT was an above average dub to say the least.

The reason why they didn't leave in -sama is because little kids who watch don't know what sama means. Sensei is universal enough that children from this country understand the meaning.

All it takes to fix this is a little note at the top of the screen when appropriate that says "-sama is a sign of respect" or something." I don't mind that they didnt use -sama. I DO mind that they are not being standard about the dub. You dont take out -sama and leave -sensei. Its all or none, or it sounds silly.

And honestly, I expected the terrible viz translations to remain, like "Doppleganger technique", "copywheel eye" and " evil eye". I'm still shocked that they left in Sexy No Jitsu. And most of hte blood was left in. They cut out all airborne blood, but blood on clothing was left completely in.

Nearly all the blood IS airborn. Only very small stains on clothing were left in. Blood dripping down mouths and the like were wiped out. When Iruka-sensei stops the Fuuma Shurican from hitting Naruto, he caughs blood up all over Naruto's face. Its GONE. I also can't believe they left Sexy no Jutsu in... but if thats appropriate, then why can't the target's of the skill shoot blood out of their nose when they get KO'ed from it? Thats what bothers me. Its not consistant.

I thought most of the voices were okay. The only voices I thought were terrible were Ino, Shikamaru and Sakura. Everything else was really good, especially the Hokage.

Ino and Shikamaru only had one quick line each, as did Sakura. I can't judge it off that. Hokage is supposed to be like 90+ years old. His english voice actor isnt playing it well at all. He sounds very young. And Iruka and Mizuki both came off as really cheesey in a lot of their more 'serious' lines.

If they leave in the Naruto X Sasuke kiss from the next episode in, then I think the dub will be okay when it comes to questionable material.

They left in the adult book store and the Harem no Jutsu. I don't see why this would go away, as its an accident anyway. This anime is bloody, and the removal of all of the blood is going to make certain things look really really silly. At least they pronounced Sasuke correctly. The way they say 'Naruto' kills me. Instead of accenting none of the sylables, they accented ALL of them. And changing the name of the Village made them have to work harder to explain Konohamaru's name needlessly.
Don't get me wrong. I'm not a dub hater. There are some great ones out there. This isnt one of them. Yes, it could be worse. I give it a passable 3.5/10... but its still pretty below average.

I can't believe so many people think its okay... :thumbdn:

Edit: OH!!! And those Mother F**kers DESTROYED the AWESOME opening AND ending credits in the name of 'More Advertising Time'. The loss of such catchy theme songs is irreprehencable.

Last edited by Keits; 09-12-2005 at 12:44 AM.
Old 09-12-2005, 12:43 AM   #1298
Dr. Bombay
ificouldjustbemorehuman

AHAHA! Translation notes!?! ON CARTOON NETWORK!!!!?!!!!!

These bastards won't even translate Kanji. You're dreaming.

~So Should You~
~Dreams Of What Is Real~
Old 09-12-2005, 12:48 AM   #1299
Keits
Kaizoku da!

Quote:
AHAHA! Translation notes!?! ON CARTOON NETWORK!!!!?!!!!!

These bastards won't even translate Kanji. You're dreaming.
Your expectations were very low to begin with. Thats why you think this dub is okay.

Even if it is cartoon network, thats no excuse for such a shoddy dub. How hard would it have been to leave the village as 'Konoha' and just stick a quick note at the top that says "Konoha means leaf"?

Its lazy, and their voice actors sound about right for what I bet they paid for them.

Why did something obscure and nichy like Azumanga Daioh get 100x more attention and care than something that's bound to be as popular as Naruto?
Old 09-12-2005, 01:05 AM   #1300
Dr. Bombay
ificouldjustbemorehuman

Actually, they did explain that the name of the village is Konoha and Konohamaru was named after it. It'll be interesting to see what they do in the future with that.

And it got lesser treatment because while Azumanga Daioh has to be treated in the assumption that 16+'s will prodominately be the user base, NAruto is being tailor fit for 8 and up's, who don't like, you know, reading translation notes, or...well....thinking.

::Shrugs:: Considering, it's not that bad. I was honestly expecting something on a One Piece level of horrendous. This wasn't half bad, so it passes.

It's no Outlaw Star.

But then, what is?

~So Should You~
~Dreams Of What Is Real~
Old 09-12-2005, 01:17 AM   #1301
Keits
Kaizoku da!

There ya go, Bombay! You went from saying 'its good' to saying 'its passable'.

Yes, its passable. But its far from good.

And about the village... Iruka directly called it "The hidden village IN the leaves". Konohamaru says that he is named after the 'ancient name of the village'.

Its not hidden IN leaves. Its the Hidden Village OF Leaf. This means that the other villages will be hidden IN mist, sand, and... sound... /sadface
Old 09-12-2005, 01:23 AM   #1302
naruto_sensei
O N E P I E C E

ya I was expecting much worse.. I'd give it like a 6.5 /10. if you think this deserves a 3.5 you should give onepiece a watch.
naruto_sensei is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-2005, 01:53 AM   #1303
ryanwho
Banned

Quote:
It's no Outlaw Star.

But then, what is?
Hard to say. Just like Outlaw, shows as average as outlaw star tend to be incredibly easy to forget so its impossible to name names. Maybe Kazamakani Tetsugai Ran, mildly likeable people in a barely memorable story with slightly above average fighting?Sounds about right.Man that takes me back though, I was in like 10th grade when that show premeired.
I give it 6/10, extra point added for the cactus episode.
ryanwho is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-2005, 05:53 AM   #1304
Escaflowne2001
... ... ... ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Keits
Its not hidden IN leaves. Its the Hidden Village OF Leaf. This means that the other villages will be hidden IN mist, sand, and... sound... /sadface
Come on, the moment that ShoPro/Viz picked up Naruto you should have known that it was gonna be horrible. There like 4Kids quality only without as many edits. . . it's Naruto's voice I don't like the most though Naruto's japanese VA really gets on my nerves aswell so maybe it fits.

Didn't really mind all of the others though they sounded abit flat, i'd expect them to get better as the series goes on like with most anime series' when the dubs are concerned.

I'd also expect the kiss and the finger poking to be intact they didn't worry about that too much in Inuyasha I believe all of Miroku's perverted antics were intake. I guess it depends on what time it's gonna be aired.
Escaflowne2001 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-2005, 07:20 AM   #1305
camac
I feel so good.

I thought it was decent enough. Naruto's voice is good, but I agree the laugh is annoying. The rest arn't anything to write home about though. I didn't get to watch the second episode because I work at 10pm but I'll try to catch it later, I heard CN was going to rerun them again sometime anyway.

I don't see why you want Sama in there though, what else, kun and chan? meh, I think its fine, like Bombay said, sensei is universal enough, but the others will just confuse the kids, and quite frankly, sound stupid. No one uses those honorifics in english. Unless your a crazy Jap fanboy who squeals Kawaii, sugoi etc randomly.
camac is offline   Reply With Quote