The MagicBox Forums  

Go Back   The MagicBox Forums > General Topics > PC / Games / Internets Discussion

View Poll Results: What's going to happen tomorrow?
Drunken gets a new Magsafe, free of charge! 1 25.00%
Drunken leaves empty handed. 3 75.00%
Voters: 4. You may not vote on this poll

Old 02-20-2010, 12:48 AM   #1
Drunken Savior
El Psy Kongroo!

Will I get a new magsafe for free?

It seems like I'm always taking something from my Macbook to the Apple Store to (politely) complain. Last time I went in to complain about the edges of my laptop cracking, they replaced the whole keyboard for free, even though my laptop is past warranty (purchased March, 2007). Now I have a problem with the Magsafe Power Adapter:

The Magsafe power adapter connects to the laptop via a small magnet which easily comes off if enough force (say someone walking and catching your power cord) without damaging your laptop.

About a year ago the wire near the base (the big white block) started to come undone. I was a bit upset, but when I looked online, Apple said that they don't want you to coil the wire up tight as the tension can cause the wire to fray. I just lived with it until one day when it started sparking. I retired that one and set it aside and ordered a new one. I figured, "Ok, my bad. I'll be more careful with this one!"

Now it's a year later and I am proud to say that my efforts have paid off, the wire did not come apart at the base. Now the wire has frayed off at the end, where the connector is! I've already ordered a refurbished replacement. I'm not going to buy a new one because whatever I am doing with this laptop (it stays at home, it maybe leaves with me 7 days out of a year) is causing these magsafes to fail. And at $70 a pop, I can't be replacing these things annually.

So I'm bringing BOTH of them into the Apple store tomorrow and am going to plop them down and calmly explain myself. I'm going to tell them that I know it's out of warranty, that I do not feel like I did anything to warrant these things failing on me twice, and calmly ask if they can 'do anything' (i.e. give me a new one for free) for a longtime customer.

If they replace it, that's awesome. That means Apple has been kind to me TWICE now when my laptop is past warranty. But if they don't, well....I doubt it'll look good in the store when a customer brings in two identical broken products, isn't bossy, and asks Apple to spare him from buying a second replacement product that is essential to all the laptops they are trying to sell. In my mind, taking a hit of whatever it costs Apple to replace these seems like the smarter decision on their part, but we'll see. I'm not going to march in there like I'm on some mission and demand compensation, I'm going to essentially just state my case without accusing anyone of any wrongdoing. But, like I said, it's not going to look good to customers there if they see me holding two broken Apple products.

Like I said, I've already ordered a refurbished one and it's in the mail. If I do get a free replacement, I'll just ebay that one.

Games I'm hyped for
The Last of Us Part 2, RE2 Remake, The Last Night

Current Platforms:
PC (i7-7700K, 16GB, GTX 980Ti), Wii U, PS4
Drunken Savior is offline   Reply With Quote
Connect With Facebook to "Like" This Thread

Old 02-20-2010, 03:01 AM   #2
Alucard

Oh apple. Why are your stuff so dodgy.
Alucard is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2010, 09:23 AM   #3
Naoko Suki
Steak!

I don't think I've ever been in a situation where someone could trip over my laptop wire, let alone have it be snagged and 'pull' my laptop with it. Even used in High School, it never happened!
Old 02-20-2010, 01:30 PM   #4
Zachalmighty
Future Demon King

Are you happy you payed so much for it?!
Old 02-20-2010, 04:50 PM   #5
Drunken Savior
El Psy Kongroo!

I'm never happy when stuff I have breaks, regardless of price. I'm just more tolerant to replace inexpensive stuff than raise a minor fuss.

Games I'm hyped for

Current Platforms:
Old 02-20-2010, 08:20 PM   #6
Reality
Sin and Punishment

Word to that. I do wish you get it replaced for free but I don't think they will. The Magsafe is such a cool little cable but its without its faults for a new tech.
Old 02-20-2010, 08:34 PM   #7
Drunken Savior
El Psy Kongroo!

Well I was denied. But at least I got a used one on Ebay for $25. I'm going to epoxy the ends of the cables to hell and back.

I didn't act like a prick or feel like Apple 'owed' me anything, because I don't feel like they do. And, most importantly, I didn't treat the employee like he was Apple incarnate. I hate it when people complain to me like I set policy at my store so I keep that in mind whenever I talk to other minimum wage shlubs. The best thing a consume in my position would do is just not buy products that use the Magsafe. It just would have been cool of them and I'd be more likely to recommend these products to other people. As is, I feel obligated to mention this to people who ask me for my opinion regarding Macbooks.

[Edit] For the record, this does not make me Anti-Apple by any means. So if you use my story as anything more than it is to trash talk Apple, you're a pretty disingenuous person and you are misleading people. If they fix this problem, then I have no problem recommending macbooks again. I still think they are well made products and the OS is terrific and , in my opinion, more solid than Windows 7. Are they overpriced? Sure. But I don't regret dropping more money on Apple than other laptop designers. They did repair my macbook for free earlier this year!

Games I'm hyped for

Current Platforms: