The MagicBox Forums  

Go Back   The MagicBox Forums > Console Specifics > Sony Discussion

Old 05-27-2018, 02:45 AM   #1
Rubeus

Despite the Vita's failure, Sony CEO hints they could return to the portable game

Maybe just in the form of porting/making games to smartphones, just like Nintendo.

Click for full size

Quote:
Despite the Vita's failure in the west, Sony CEO hints they could return to the portable game

PS5 Switch?

It's an interesting time for Sony. The PS4 is sitting at the top of the totem pole, encroaching 80 million in hardware sales. It's already broken into the top 10 all-time best selling console list, and is poised to break the Xbox 360's 84 million mark to enter the number six slot, in an attempt to overtake the Wii's 101 million mark. It did all this while introducing the most affordable form of mainstream VR to the market.

The Vita, however, isn't doing nearly as well. It's basically bombed in the west, and Sony is even pulling support for all physical cartridges within a year outside of Japan. Yet, John Kodera, CEO of Sony, told Bloomberg that everyone shouldn't count them out of the portable game, even in the near future.

Kodera notes, "In my opinion, rather than separating portable gaming from consoles, it’s necessary to continue thinking of [portable gaming] as one method to deliver more gaming experiences and exploring what our customers want from portable. We want to think about many options."

It's entirely possible that a traditional PS5 was in the works, but with the worldwide success of the Switch, companies are rethinking their strategy. If Nintendo's whole idea of "multiple hardware units per household" takes off, platform holders will see dollar signs that surpass the traditional one console model.

https://www.destructoid.com/despite-...e-504429.phtml
Rubeus is offline   Reply With Quote
Connect With Facebook to "Like" This Thread

Old 05-27-2018, 04:51 AM   #2
Hagane
Unlucky dog

They can make a successful portable system if they actually invest in marketing the damn thing or even put barely any effort in doing so.
Hagane is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-27-2018, 03:40 PM   #3
spider-prime
NOW IN CINEMAPHONIC QUADROVISION!

Location: I hated going to weddings cause all the grandmas would poke me saying "you're next, you're next". They stopped saying that when I did it to them at Funerals.
I don't even remember seeing ads for vita games or the system on TV.
spider-prime is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-28-2018, 01:57 AM   #4
Nem
Smash bro!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hagane View Post
They can make a successful portable system if they actually invest in marketing the damn thing or even put barely any effort in doing so.
I don't think they can.

They made terrible mistakes with the Vita. They jumped ship early and kept nailing it to the floor in favor of VR, wich was a huge mistake.

Now, they burned customer confidance. Who in their right mind is gonna support them knowing they might just drop it 2 years in again?

No, i think that smartphones might be a thing for them, but console? They commited the SEGA mistake (saturn to dreamast).
Old 05-28-2018, 11:33 AM   #5
Escaflowne2001
... ... ... ...

Being an JRPG fan. The PSP and the PSVita have been fantastic maybe even better then the consoles in that regard. Sony never really cared much for the PSVita and gave up early on when it came to it's own games.
Escaflowne2001 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-28-2018, 11:47 PM   #6
Nem
Smash bro!

Really? Because almost all of those RPG's on vita were on the PS3 or PS4.

I think Tales of hearts R and persona 4 golden are the only exceptions i'm aware of.

The PSP is a different story.