The MagicBox Forums  

Go Back   The MagicBox Forums > Console Specifics > Sony Discussion

Old 12-31-2007, 03:43 AM   #1
Lin Kuei
It's freakin' big.

Ok guys...

... and gals, time for your act of charity for the year (get your heads out of the gutter). Just got a PS3 and want to know what you all recommend. Genre is irrelevant. In my possession are two items: MotorStorm and CoD4, so rule those out. I'm eying the below. Feedback on them or other suggestions is what I'd appreciate.

Folklore
Ghost Recon: Advanced Warfighter 2
Uncharted: Drake's Fortune
Assassin's Creed
Warhawk
Unreal Tournament 3
Elder Scrolls: Oblivion
Lin Kuei is offline   Reply With Quote
Connect With Facebook to "Like" This Thread

Old 12-31-2007, 03:47 AM   #2
Alexander
I speak with codes.

Warhawk, Ratchet and Clank, Orange Box, and Uncharted.
Alexander is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-31-2007, 04:54 AM   #3
Escaflowne2001
... ... ... ...

Folklore, Orange Box and Uncharted are excellent games. GRAW2 is also very good I'm assuming you enjoyed the first one the only problem is they've watered it down a little and made it alot easier then the original.
Escaflowne2001 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-31-2007, 05:11 AM   #4
spider-prime
NOW IN CINEMAPHONIC QUADROVISION!

Location: I hated going to weddings cause all the grandmas would poke me saying "you're next, you're next". They stopped saying that when I did it to them at Funerals.
Warhawk is god! But don't buy the expansion... it is the devil.
spider-prime is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-31-2007, 05:34 AM   #5
Rubeus

Try Unreal Tournament III, Uncharted: Jake's Fortune, Ratchet & Clank and Heavenly sword.
Rubeus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-31-2007, 05:51 AM   #6
Alucard

I thought orange box was shit for ps3. You should be playing UT3/COD4/Oblivion/Orangebox for pc. Anything else is coated in sugar gayness.

Give folklore a shot and warhawk. I enjoyed the demo of Uncharted. Assasins is...uh.. average at best. Wait for a price drop.
Alucard is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-31-2007, 07:44 AM   #7
spider-prime
NOW IN CINEMAPHONIC QUADROVISION!

Location: I hated going to weddings cause all the grandmas would poke me saying "you're next, you're next". They stopped saying that when I did it to them at Funerals.
I have to keep saying this, if you have a PC you can run orange box, buying it for consoles is just stupid really IMO

my brother is running it on onboard video chip from his motherboard from 2003 and it runs it just fine on low.

So if you have a 8600geforce/2600radeon or higher, the game will run great on this cards.
spider-prime is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-31-2007, 09:20 AM   #8
murray
<insert witty motto>

Orange Box if you dont have 360 or PC to run it on. Elder Scrolls AWESOME, Uncharted, Ratchet and Clank, Singstar for drunken parties and Ninja Gaiden Sigma.
murray is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-31-2007, 03:05 PM   #9
Decado

Uncharted, Ratchet and Clack and rent Heavenly Sword. Ninja Gaiden Sigma if you haven't played Black.
Decado is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-31-2007, 10:21 PM   #10
Chronos
fuggit

My sister bought me Ratchet and Clank and I have to say I'm really loving this light but still fun platformer.

Besides that Warhawk, Uncharted, Oblivion (your call whether to play on PC, but it's pretty identical gameplay wise on consoles)...

Goes without saying you shouldn't get UT3 or Orange Box for the PS3 (both play great on low/medium settings for PCs). However Call of Duty 4 is another story...definetly get it for the console of your choice if you don't have a pretty modern video card. Would be a shame for anyone to miss out on what I consider runner up to GoTY (BioShock)
Chronos is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-31-2007, 11:13 PM   #11
Alucard

My video card is a 7600gt currently, they cost like $140 or whatever. It plays UT3/Orangebox/COD4 all at max detail smoothly, ignoring aliasing. You dont need a $1000 card to play them. STALKER and Crysis are another story.
Old 01-01-2008, 03:51 AM   #12
Chronos
fuggit

CoD4 multiplayer is alot more forgiving than the single player. At 1280x1024 no aliasing I get 28-35 fps single player but multiplayer is always 60-90 FPS constant (8800 GTS).
Chronos is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-01-2008, 06:00 AM   #13
Lin Kuei
It's freakin' big.

Thanks for the responses; very helpful stuff.

I would purchase Orange Box/BioShock for the PC, but I mostly use Macs, and the PC I do have probably isn't up to snuff (Athlon 64 X2 4000+ with a ATI Radeon X1200 video card and 512 MB). I assume I need to upgrade the memory to at least 1GB and change the card?

Murray, I noticed Eye of Judgment in your sig, is it worth the extra cash for game and camera?

Folklore and Oblivion seem to be the only worthwhile RPGs on PS3 at the moment. The rest I'll probably wait for a price drop on or rent then buy.
Lin Kuei is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-01-2008, 06:17 AM   #14
Alucard

Oblivion should ONLY be played on the PC. While I can understand all the other fps games (well not really), the mods that were created fo oblivion ont he pc just give it waaaaay much more enjoyment. Especially with replacing the shit character designs for example.

As for your pc..I dunno, you had no trouble affording a ps3! Your cpu is fine, video card and ram definately need upping. 1gig is ok but you really want 2gig. Thats about $40-50 for 2gigs of good ram. If your motherboard however is an agp board, you have a bit more to replace then just the video card and ram loillolo
Old 01-01-2008, 11:04 AM   #15
murray
<insert witty motto>

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lin Kuei View Post
Murray, I noticed Eye of Judgment in your sig, is it worth the extra cash for game and camera.
I got it as a gift and it is available here now for 35, same price as a normal game, at that price it is worth it cos the camera is 20 alone. Its a fun little game made better if you have friend who you can play online with. If you can pick it up for $50 then do it.

I imported a dualshock 3, you might wanna think about doing the same, most of the games support rumble and the pad is a fair bit heavier and feels much less like a hollow piece of plastic.
murray is offline   Reply With Quote