The MagicBox Forums  

Go Back   The MagicBox Forums > General Topics > PC / Games / Internets Discussion

Old 03-15-2005, 12:47 PM   #1
Alexander
I speak with codes.

Guild Wars

This game is coming out in about a month, and I was wondering if anyone else is planning on playing it? It's been developed by ex-Blizzard employees who worked on games like the Diablo series and a little of WoW near the beginning.

I can't just tell you to play it, so I'll give you a little information taken from the official website, http://www.guildwars.com. Here are a few FAQs.

What kind of game is Guild Wars?

Guild Wars is a competitive online role-playing game. Players can engage in cooperative group combat, in single player adventures, or in large head-to-head guild battles. Guild Wars is a mission-based game set in a stunning 3D fantasy world that offers full, integrated support for guilds. Because the team that is developing Guild Wars has had experience creating successful online game series such as Warcraft, StarCraft and Diablo, the members are familiar with the complex issues surrounding online games, and are creating a game that's both easy to learn and compelling to play long term, and yet doesn?t require players to spend hundreds of hours slogging through the preparation just to get to the fun bits.

What are the system requirements for Guild Wars?

The final system requirements have not yet been determined, but currently we have set the following as minimum system specifications for those involved in our Guild Wars Alpha Test:

* Windows? XP/2000/ME/98
* Intel Pentium? III 800 Mhz or equivalent
* 256 MB RAM
* CD-ROM Drive
* 500 MB Available HDD Space
* ATI Radeon 8500 or GeForce 3 or 4 MX Series Video Card with 32MB of VRAM
* 16-bit Sound Card
* Internet connection
* Keyboard and mouse

Will there be a monthly fee for Guild Wars?

No, there will not be a monthly subscription fee of any kind, anywhere in the world.

Now here's a couple screenshots:

Before you tell me that they are doctored, PS'd, or fake, read here:

Are your in-game screenshots altered in any way? Do you rework them in an art program before adding them to the site?

No, our Screenshots Section includes only totally unaltered in-game images. We use a distinctive glow technology that gives a fantastical appearance to the game. All the in-game screenshots that are in our Gallery are completely unaltered, and come straight from the game to you.

When you preorder the game, which I'm doing today, you gain access to all the beta weekend events, an in-game item, (It's a bow) a password that lets one friend join you in the beta weekend events, a CD-Rom containing concept art such, and a poster.
I think the best part about it is the lack of monthly fee. When I play a game like FFXI or WoW, I feel like if I don't play enough, I am not getting my money's worth. If I don't play, I feel guilty. I shouldn't have to feel guilty! That's one reason why I'm interested in this.

So yeah, discuss. If you want to play with me this weekend, go on and preorder at EBgames or something. That's what I'm doing.
Alexander is offline   Reply With Quote
Connect With Facebook to "Like" This Thread

Old 03-15-2005, 02:33 PM   #2
Newtype

I might get this, I played the beta but I didn't really like it but then again I only played a bit of it - not enough to judge it. Got bored of WoW too, cancelled my account on it not long ago.
Newtype is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-15-2005, 03:43 PM   #3
Mistatee
Linguistic Massacre

WoW owns when ur 60... unless u dont like PvP or instance farming...or waiting...

I played the GW alpha for 3 days and thought it was the best game ever. Played the Beta, and thought it sucked so badly... They defnetly went in the wrong direction with it. They made it really hard to kill other people solo, or een with 2 people. I say very little progress in the PvP fights. The nly real thing that worked was Zerging 1 dude and killing him instantly.

Also the new way to get abilities really sucked.
Old 03-15-2005, 07:49 PM   #4
Alucard

Got a group of friends who plan to play it since they're Diablo whores. I might give it a whirl down the track, but I'm stocked up to the gills with PC games for the rest of the year. Still catching up on ones from 2 years back.
Alucard is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-15-2005, 09:49 PM   #5
SavedFromSin
RAWR!!!

this game will play on my laptop so i guess i might get it. looks cool, especially the no monthly fees!

The above post wasn't checked for: spelling or grammatical errors, comma splices, awkward phrases, run-on sentences, subject-verb agreement, and other errors in the English language.
PSN=MrBear14518 XboxLive=Teaching Bear
SavedFromSin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-15-2005, 10:27 PM   #6
Abaddon
Banned

I played the beta and it was alright, I don't understand why the f-ck my necromancer kept on losing HP ALL THE DAMN TIME no matter what I did, Darkness tried healing me but to no avail, I would keep losing HP until I died, unless I was killing something and leeching thier HP, it was wierd.

Other than that, the game was pretty standard, it looked nice atleast. The no monthly fee thing interests me, so I might check it out, but that might mean actually buying the game, something which I am not used to doing.
Abaddon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-16-2005, 12:32 PM   #7
Mistatee
Linguistic Massacre

I forgot to mention i dont like point-and-click MMORPGS, and while there is an option to use movement keys, if all someone has to do is click on me to run all the way to me and melee, then its not a game for me. Basically the main reason i only played Shadowbane for a month. The PvP isnt very good either, and i find all the classes to be too balanced. No one does better dmg, no one really has better armor, its like no matter what two classes u choose you are just as good as everyone else, besides for maybe warrior who only did melee, he was alittle different. In most MMO's the mage type class does supremem dmg, at the cost of absurd mana and low hp/armor. In guild wars, it seemed every caster did about the same dmg, for the same mana, with the same hp, and armor. Kinda lame.