The MagicBox Forums  

Go Back   The MagicBox Forums > General Topics > MagicBox Member Reviews

Old 10-23-2004, 01:22 AM   #16
Vert1
Banned

It's bad enough SNK has gone 3D but to hear someone complain about butt-cheeks not jiggling...ugh... :annoyed:

You should review Shining Force and Fire Emblem next...
Vert1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-23-2004, 01:28 AM   #17
Icarus4578
Deal with it.

I want the new Fire Emblem for GBA. I also hope N' brings it over on GC.
Old 10-23-2004, 04:08 AM   #18
Paper exe
Pwnd

Quote:
Originally Posted by Drunken Savior
You got a problem? Pony up with your own reviews then. Quit being disrespectful, especially when you havn't done anything to show why people should respect your opinions.

I respect every one here
PS:disrespect me as much as you want I don't care
Paper exe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-23-2004, 04:17 PM   #19
Messanic
I'm D-E-D, Dead!

Gungrave: OD

For all that played the first Gungrave and wanted a seqaul, this review is for you. Gungrave: OD takes place a couple of years after the first game, an illegal dryg known as seed is being sold on the black market. Now its up to Mika and Spike to find out where the drugs are coming from and destroy that source, but to do so, they need the help of Grave. Two new characters will also help Mika as well, Juji, the frankentien swordsman, and Rocket Billy Red Cadillac, a ghost that haunts an electric guitar. The original story and art is done by Yasuhiro Nightow of Trigun fame. Sega didn't want to release this game over in the U.S. due to the horrible sales of the first game, and so Mastiff decided to take matters into thier own hands, and for $15 brand new you get Gungrave: OD.

Graphics - 8
The graphics are damned good, Yasuhiro's style is incorporated incredibly well into the game. Grave lost the hat and his coffin is even more cool than in the first game. The other characters, and even the namless flunkys are modeled very well. The game moves at 30 fps instead of 60 like in the first one, but the 30 fps actually helps the atmosphere more in this game, so its fair game. The fmv's are cel shaded and are of really high quality, then there are some cut scenes in the game where the characters faces are shown, pretty nice... The game also isn't loaded with fmv's like most games today, which is really good. They tell the story and its done using the game engine and the cutcenes in a very equal manner.

Sound - 7
You'll be hearing a lot of click, bang, bam, boom, and kaboom, theres music but you can't really hear over all the guns and explosions. You can however hear music in the cutscenes and fmv's. The voice acting is done really well, despite what some say about English voices, the voice acting is really good. What baffles me is why Mastiff removed the Japanese voices from the game, maybe its an unlockable feature for those that are whiney about the game being in English.

Gameplay - 7
Same as the first and then some, and this time you get two new characters, Grave, Juji, and Billy all have different stats and attacks, giving more variety in the gameplay. Not to mention the coffin has a better use, all of the characters' short and long range weapons have potential uses for any situation that you'll come across in the game. You can also use your weapons in cunjunction with eachother to combo and get a demolition shot (special attack), the max is four demolition shots but you can get more when you run out. You not only have a combo counter, but also an art counter too, this will get you extra points for looking good, then you can buy better demolition shots and such with those points.

Your life meter is kinda like Halo's, when your shield is blown, your life is next (ironic since your already dead), you can however, recharge it at will with R2. You wont do much platform jumping as this is your standard run and gun game. The lock on system still needs work though, while Grave can hit anything without the lockon system, it is indeed useful for bosses that need to have certain targets destroyed. You can also destroy just about everything in the game, nothing is safe, pillars, cars, couches, walls, plants, you can tear it all up, you'll have a lot of fun with this title overall.

Replay - 8
They replay value is moderately high, simply due to the fact that theres so much to unlock and three characters to play with. Not to mention the adjustable difficulty. This game is also not as short as the first game, you'll put at least 10 hours on your first play through.

Overall - 7.5
Good game, $15 brand new, get it now.
Messanic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-24-2004, 10:00 PM   #20
Messanic
I'm D-E-D, Dead!

F-Zero: Climax

Wow, Nintendo's on the ball when it comes to the gba, but not the gcn. This game will show you exactly why thier on the ball. F-Zero: Climax, is yet another F-Zero game by Nintendo, but what makes it different from all the others?

Graphics - 9
These are the best graphics that I've seen on mode 7 3d, the cars look awsome and the game stays at a constant 60 fps. The game has some psuedo pre-rendered 3d and really nice effects for the cars, whether its crashing or speed boosting. The graphics definitely show that developers can still use mode 7 and make a game look awsome.

Sound - 8
The soundtrack is amazing in this game, the returning tracks like Mute City and Port Town, are remixed and sound damned good. However, the announcer tends to talk way too much, its nice that the announcers' voice overs are good quality, but at the same time he can get really annoying.

Gamplay - 8
Where do I start, this game is awsome, you don't go through the insane cork screews and loops that you would in the gcn or arcade game, but you do have ridiculous turns. The best part is that the game is fairly easy to get used to, so any track you havent played you can survive through the first time around. That is of course a good and bad thing. If you were looking for the challenge that was in the snes and gcn games, you might be dissappointed, so it can get incredibly easy, but I havent played past the bronze and silver cups in the first league either. Theres also four different control setups for different types of play.

You have a choice between speeding, defensive, offensive, and snaking when driving. If you push L+R at the title screen, you can see a tutorial on how each control type works too. Theres also a track editor that lets you ediit tracks or make some of your own, and then some. I didn't play too much with the track editor but theres definitely a lot to do with it. If you and your friends are tired of the same tracks on the game, theres over 50 tracks by the way, you can create your own and race on them. Theres also a story mode and a special time attack mode for different missions, this makes the game a lot more diverse than it already is. Theres also many hidden cars, but the best ones are the starting lineup imo.

Speed - 8
Thats right, I'm rating the game on how fast it goes! The game stays at a constant 60 fps, theres no slowdown and when hitting a bunch of boosters and using boost yourself, you get set up with some ridiculous adrenaline pumping speeds.

Replay - 8
You'll be busy with this game for quite a while, theres cars and all types of other stuff wating to be unlocked.

Overall - 8.2
I hope we get to see this game stateside cause theres so much we'd be missing if Nintendo decided not to let it out of Japan. Theres tons of unlockables, different play types and a track editor. What more can I say, import this or hope and wait, either way, this is another great game from Nintendo.

Last edited by Messanic; 10-24-2004 at 10:04 PM.
Old 10-26-2004, 01:47 AM   #21
Messanic
I'm D-E-D, Dead!

Viewtiful Joe: The anime

Yes, I'm reviewing the Viewtiful Joe anime, and I'm reviewing the game later. It was only a matter of time before VJ was made into an anime, and all I have to say is hope 4kids does a good job, it is quick liscence material for them. I've also only seen the raw of episode 2, no fansubbers have picked it up, theres a good reason for it too.

Story - 6
Same as the games, only worse, its made so that little 3 year olds will like it, and well theres stuff added to it. I think they added the balck elf woman that goes by the name of Sprocket, I'm not sure if she's in the game cause I havent played past the third stage yet. You get to see Hulk ride his Harley and Sylvia in a birdcage. Joe also has flashbacks and other sorts of memories from the Captain Blue movies he's seen in the past. Sylvia getting kidnapped again and agian seems to be a recurring theme here too. The worst part is that Joe is more heroic in the anime.

Animation - 7
What can I say, it looks good, just like the game, except not celshaded 3d, the vfx have also been altered and there arent that many frames of animation. Zoom in is now used to find weak points, speed up doesn't make multiples of Joe, and Slow is not as powerful. Not much else here, its drawn well, but its not animated well.

Soundtrack - 6
The intro and ending themes aren't that great and they both have karaoke lyrics at the bottom of the screen. I don't really like the voice acting either, everyone has the crappiest voices. You'll get tired of Joe yelling Sylvia very soon, and Sylvia sounds like she's getting off whenever she sees Joe pose. Hulk sounds like a punk when he should sound more like a Yakuza, he rolls his R's but not enough. I also thought that there would be a lot more english terms like , yo, hey, etc, but they are nowhere to be found. Joe's "Henshin a go go baby," also doesn't sound as cool or funny as it did in the game, or good at all. Sprocket and Captain Blues' voices were the only ones that didn't really annoy me cause they matched and werent overplayed.

Humor - 2
Theres not much humor to be found in this, most of it is just innuendo influenced by the people watching, like my remark about Sylvia. It's based off the game yet the only thing they got right was the character designs.

Action - 6
Theres action, but it isn't as fast paced and hectic as the game, the vfx as I've said before, are toned down a lot. Not much thought was put into the action and that is what made the game awsome.

Overall - 5.4
This is a budget anime used as a cash cow, just like many other anime's. But this one is really bad, I seriously doubt that it'll get a second season, seeing as how this season is supposed to be 52 episodes. Yeah its that bad, with games like Gungrave getting awsome anime's you'd think that they'd put forth more effort into VJ. Unfortunately Capcom thinks that crappy adaptations of thier awsome games like Darkstalkers, Megaman, Rockman Exe, and Street Fighter don't deserve that type of quality.
Old 10-29-2004, 05:57 PM   #22
Messanic
I'm D-E-D, Dead!

Playstation 2

In 1994, Sony released the playstation game console, in 2000, they released the ps2. The ps2 is one of the best gaming consoles out there right now, it has many more games that appeal to all different crowds, it's also very affordable. The only problem is that like the nes, it has its big share of problems.

Design - 7
The design isn't exactly the most efficient one that I've seen between the three consoles this gen. Theres a bunch of vents and the disc drive is made partly of a magnet, this explains why the ps2 attracts so much dust. It has a bunch of vents, but those vents arent really necessary, neither are some of the parts in the console itself. None the less, the ps2 sports a pretty good look, but why the power switch is in the back, I don't know. You can also play it horizontally or vertically.

Durability - 3
The ps2 isn't very stable in lastability, Sony says that a console is only supposed to last a couple of years, but people still like to play thier old games. Most people that bought early ps2's ended up getting pissed as they broke in less than 3 months or a little bit over the 90 day warranty. I have a second gen ps2 and it works fine with all games, when played vertically, which was how it was meant. Some people also get scratches on thier games when playing vertically, it doesn't happen to me, but some people get it from not vaccuming the vents on thier ps2. Blowing a can of air in your ps2 only makes matters worse by the way, the fragile ps2 also shows owners that its better to take more care of thier consoles too. I've only experienced DRE's when playing dvd's and when my brother decided that it would be ok to put a really scratched up game in my ps2. With this I say, don't let idiots stick anything in your ps2, period.

Games - 9
Theres nothing the ps2 lacks in, it has a bunch of great nich games to tide you over for the big titles. Games like Devil May Cry, Metal Gear Solid 2 and Grand Theft Auto, although mainstream, are still awsome games, I usually wait for a drop in price as the really good hyped games get dirt cheap in less than a year. It's not the hyped games but the nich games that you have to watch out for like Veiwtiful Joe, Bujingai, and Gradius V. The ps2 also is home to some of the wierdest games like Guilty Gear X2, Isuka, and Katamari Damacy. The ps2 also has a wide selection of good fighting games, not as big as the ps1, dc, or saturn's library, but theres certainly plenty to choose from. The ps2 also is the big rpg console, while some say that its all the ps2 is good for, it certainly has more awsome rpg's and other games in total than the other two. Theres a wide variety of games for many to choose from, but theres also a bunch of crap to choose from too.

Graphics - 8
The in game graphics for most of the ps2 games that I've played are really good, some of the early games like Dark Cloud, don't show much graphical prowess, but the ps2 has aged and become a fine wine. Games like Fianl Fantasy 10, Kingdom Hearts, and Shinobi are some of the most graphically impressive games that I've seen. The ps2 also unlike the other two consoles have more variety in the style of 3d visuals, Katamari Damacy, Gradius V, Shin Megami Tensei, and Naruto: Narutimet Hero, sport some serious style to thier visual arts. The ps2 is also capable of photo realism, whether people belive it or not.

It may be the weakest of the three but the ps2 has plenty of up in the visuals department. Theres also a bunch of downs in the visuals, mainly ports. Games like Sonic Heroes, Ecco: the Defender of Time, and Need for Speed: Underground have some of the worst visuals that I've ever seen on the ps2. The framerates is horrible and some of the games I named before them, have better visuals, load times, and framerates. What developers manage to do with the ps2 is just astounding though, too bad I'm not going to develop for it in the future. The best part about the ps2, is that you can play your old games, so if you think that the ps2 is lacking somewhat, or don't have any ps2 games, then pop in a ps1 game. If that isn't enough, the ability to play online is sure to get you hooked if your an online gamer, I just found out that all ps2 games, except for FFXI and Evercrack are free, how cool is that. Some of the games also have hd support, and while it doesn't come in handy that much, you can still enjoy your ps2 more if you like being able to store stuff on your hd.

Sound - 8
Nice and crystal clear sound, it has twice as many sound channels as the ps1 did. While that may not seem like a lot, the fact that it supports stereo sound should be more than enough to hold you down. The problem withe ps2 is that the games sound way better than the dvd's. But as I said, in game stereo sound is where its at, the ps2 also has many games like Gradius V, Katamari Damacy, and Guitly Gear X2, which have some stupid awsome soundtracks. Virtua Fighter 4 is another good one too.

Controllers - 9
It's the same as the ps1's dual shock analog controller, it pretty much set the standard for good controllers. The technology has been improved though, the controller is now pressure sensative, and it a lot lighter than the old one. It's also backwards compatible with all old ps1 games, and puts less of a strain on your hands. I couldn't have asked for a better controller.

Overall - 7.3
The ps2 is a well rounded console, despite some of its obvious flaws, I only wish that some of these flaws were further worked on.
Old 10-29-2004, 09:51 PM   #23
Vert1
Banned

MGS2 isn't a good example of good games on PS2...

Giving PS2 a 9 for games is rediculous.
Old 10-29-2004, 10:10 PM   #24
Messanic
I'm D-E-D, Dead!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vert1
MGS2 isn't a good example of good games on PS2...

Giving PS2 a 9 for games is rediculous.
What, you want me to give the games an 8? That means that I'll have to bring my gcn rating down to a 4 if that games for ps2 are that bad. I'll post my gcn and Shining Force(gba) reviews soon, maybe even tonight. Next is Contra Shattered Soldier and Batman Returns for the snes.
Old 10-29-2004, 10:25 PM   #25
Vert1
Banned

PS2 deserves a 9 compared to every other system for quality of games? No...just no.

Quote:
That means that I'll have to bring my gcn rating down to a 4
This comment has nothing to do with anything. It's just flamebait...

Anyhow I won't be surpised when I see your GC review. You'll downplay it as not good as it's predessors NES and SNES yet you give the PS2 a 9 for games and you give no comparison to PS. Than you'll blab about third parties and Nintendo not getting with the times yadda yadda yadda...

It's your review section though. Shining Force on GBA...why not review the Genesis game?

Last edited by Vert1; 10-29-2004 at 10:31 PM.
Old 10-29-2004, 11:32 PM   #26
Messanic
I'm D-E-D, Dead!

Gamecube

Out of the three consoles out this gen, only one is a console made specifically for gaming, the Gamcube. The gcn is the only one of the three that is made just to play games, and although it only plays games, what games that can be played on the gcn is the general problem. Well now that the cats outta the bag, lets see just how much less of a console it is icompared to the n64.

Design - 9
Well its got a handle, seriously, the gcn has four controller ports and a couple of bottom ports to hold the gba player and broadband/modem adapter. Not a bad design, its small, easily fits where its supposed to and has a cd door instead of those dreaded disc drives. A good design indeed, but my beef is why there werent any more colors available for it. In the U.S. wee get Indigo, Platinum, and Jet. It'll be something if Nintendo starts offering gcn's in 8 more colors a year from now. Other than that, its the only console made specifically for gaming.

Durability - 9
One of the most stable game consoles that I've played today, beats the hell outta thier previous consoles, especially the nes. However, when you hold it by the handle it feels a little flimsy, not like it'll break anyway, but still. The open button also tilts or gets stuck after opening it so much. It's still is the only console today that happens to not break after having it for at least a year.

Games - 6
This is where the gcn gets hurt, the third party's have come back, but the little support that is given stinks. I don't have much to look forward to when buying a gcn. The games are some of the same games that I've already played on many other consoles or in Mario and Links case, I've played them on the n64 and snes. There really just arent enough games at all from third paties and Nintendo themselves on the gcn. Every game you could get is on the ps2 or xbox, or will get ported to either one. MGS was awsome on the ps1 and its even better on the gcn, but that isn't going to save the gcn alone. It also kinda sucke for those that baught a gcn so early, those memory card 59's couldn't hold crap, good thing Nintendo rectified this problem with thier memory card 251's and 1024's.

Nintendo also hasn't produced enough games on time for the gcn, this fall, I can look forward to Paper Mario 2 and Metroid Prime 2. But thats it, the games are also very expensive, the console is $100 thats a steal, but games like Metroid Prime 2 going for $50 is a bit of a steal too, meaning stealing from you. The games take forever to drop in price and there arent a lot of niche titles or rpg's. If the gcn had games like DMC and Gradius V, I'm sure that the gcn support would get better. But until then, it makes no sense to have great hardware and crappy software. No online support is also a killer, but the ability to play gba games redeems the gcn of its 2 online game flaw. Next time Nintendo, build the gba player and network connections into the console.

Graphics - 9
This is one other reason why I like the gcn, I personally think that its the best in graphics processing between the three. Most games move at 60 fps and have crazy fast load times, this is something that I definitely like about the gcn. Even cel shading has to work harder to make the gcn choke. Games like Metroid Prime, Super Mario Sunshine, and Zelda: the Wind Waker, really show off the gcn's visual prowess.

Sound - 9
I have played Metroid Prime, Wario Ware, and Donkey Konga in surroound sound, awsome, just awsome. Nice, clear, and loud, a whole lot of volume and a little bit of bass is all it takes. Nothing else to say here, the gcn never gave me any muffled sounds on any of the games that I've played.

Controllers - 7
A gba sized d pad, two analog sticks, and a really jacked up button layou equals lots of fun. This controller was made for 3d games and them alone, try to play CVS2EO and you'll see what I'm talking about. I have always wondered what Guilty Gear Isuka would be like on the gcn though. Some games, mostly fighting, have problems with the gcn layout, this creates problems for people that play a lot of fighting and action games for the gcn. You can also buy a wavebird controller for your gcn if you hate wires, but I'd rather spend money on a controller that I don't have to put more money into after buying it.

Overall - 8.2
This is a solid gaming machine, its just too bad that Nintendo and other developers can't see that.
Old 10-29-2004, 11:40 PM   #27
Vert1
Banned

Alright Messanic fair enough. You better pre-order Baten Kaitos!
Old 10-29-2004, 11:41 PM   #28
Icarus4578
Deal with it.

Messanic ~ "This is a solid gaming machine, its just too bad that Nintendo and other developers can't see that"

Um, believe you me, Nintendo does. And the third-parties will acknowledge that it's a superior console to the PS2 technically speaking. It's just a matter of support (or lack thereof), that's all. Anyway, keep on reviewing. We need more people like yourself to step up to the plate and state their opinions.
Old 10-30-2004, 11:34 PM   #29
Messanic
I'm D-E-D, Dead!

Batman Returns

This was a game that any fan of the Teenage Mutant Ninja Turtles games would like. The head honchos at Konami wanted a piece of the movie industry, so they made Batman Returns for the snes. This game isn't just your run in the mill movie cash cow, this is a masterpiece. The game has the same plot as the movie, theres clowns, but no joker, and the time is during Christmas. The irony of it all is that I got this game on Christman as a younger lad, liked Batman a lot as a kid too. I had a Batman piggy bank, and I even had a cake made out of the Batman cake pan my mom used for two of my birthday's. So theres some real sentamental value in this game for me.

Graphics - 8
These are some of the best graphics I've seen on the snes, theres even a couple of scenes from the movie. The sprites in this game are amazingly high in detail, from Batman, to the clowns, Catwoman and Penguin, this game is amazing in the graphics department. After playing this game again, it made me wonder why Nintendo stepped out of 2d so fast. The animations for the characters, backrounds, and effects were also very true to the movie. Especially the fat clowns when Batman sticks dynamite down thier pants. But due to everything having one or two frames of animation for attacking, you face the trouble of getting pimp smacked by the many enemies you come across, no matter how good you are.

Sound - 9
Konami always made me remember why I liked the snes sound so much, all the sounds are very true to the movie. The punches, kicks, explosions, grunts and screams are all very close to the real thing. Except the bosses, they always gave some weird ass grunt, it was still awsome, I couldn't have asked for a better sounding game.

Gameplay - 8
I started playing this game on hard today and it kicked my ass at first, but its generally the same strategy throughout the whole game. The thing is that the AI is relentless on hard and if your not familliar with the game, you will get your ass handed to you on a silver platter. I don't even think that you can play through the whole game on easy, I'm not sure though, I've only beat the game once on easy and several times on normal and hard. Batman has a bunch of attacks and custom attacks at his disposal in this game too. You can start wailing on a clown with the first three or four hits on your combo, then end it with a cape sweep(not recommended), grab the enemy and get two or three more hits on them and then throw them.

Batman also can use testubes(use them wisely), gaurd and swoop down on enemies. He also can stun enemies with his Baterang and start attacks and strategies from there. The only serious flaw is that when going to grab an enemy in later levels or difficulty's theres an 98% chance that you'll get hit if you havent already started a combo on them already. This of course only decreases your chances of getting hit by like 30% but thats still a lot. Surprisingly, I actually managed to get through the whole game today on hard, using just three lives. Theres also one other thing thats in the game, the Batmobile, although playing in the Batmobile stage isn't that great, they are still loads of fun.

Sincerity - 9
The game is pretty much, what can be found in the movie the plot is the same and the scenes, although somewaht altered, are still true to the movie. Konami did an awsome job in the development of this game and no Batman fan should be without it or the actual movie.

Replay - 9
Theres plenty of replay value in this game, especially if you beat it on easy, theres plenty of stages and lots of combinations to work with in Batman's movelist.

Overall - 8.6
Any Batman fan will enjoy this game and any gamer will enjoy this game. This game is just awsome and a must have for the snes and for Batman fans.
Old 10-30-2004, 11:51 PM   #30
Joe Redifer
Olé!

I got tired of the SNES Batman Returns as I was playing it for the first time. It has nothing on Streets of Rage.
Joe Redifer is offline   Reply With Quote