The MagicBox Forums  

Go Back   The MagicBox Forums > General Topics > MagicBox Member Reviews

Old 01-03-2006, 11:42 AM   #46
Havoc2049
64-bit Interactive Multimedia System

Nice reviews, MarionetteKazuk. They bring back some memories. You have a good taste in games. Zombies Ate My Neighbors was actually developed by LucasArts, or I think they were still known as Lucasfilm Games back then. Konami just published it.

I have Deja Vu I & II(one cart) for my GBA. I need to re-play it and finally finish them. I did finish Deja Vu many moons ago on ye olde C-64, but was a slacker on the GBC version.
Havoc2049 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2006, 11:46 AM   #47
MarionetteKazuk
Problem?

Not only did I not know they had deja vu 1 + 2 for gba, but I didn't even know there was a deja vu 2. Deja vu is also like that game shadowgate... and some other game, I can't remember the name of. But while I was in class someone was playing shadowgate on the pc with an nes emulator and I was like "Is that deja vu?" and he said "Deja who?" (lol) and he said it was shadow gate and the gameplay is exactly the same as deja vu, which was made by the same company.

LucasArts, or I think they were still known as Lucasfilm
I thought so too, but I went to a website to find out who they were made by, at first I assumed lucasarts/lucasfilm, but some site said konami and I was like , so I had put that. I know maniac mansion was done by lucasfilms though.

Last edited by MarionetteKazuk; 01-03-2006 at 11:51 AM.
MarionetteKazuk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2006, 12:01 PM   #48
B.B. Gambini
Banned

Thumbs up

Quote:
Originally Posted by MarionetteKazuk

I would say that anyone who owns a DC (or even those who don't) should buy this game. For me it's not enough to play or rent the game but it's a must buy.
yes indeed, i rented this game, and later bought it 3 different times
B.B. Gambini is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2006, 12:26 PM   #49
Havoc2049
64-bit Interactive Multimedia System

Here you go. You can probably get it for dirt cheap.

GBC, Deja Vu I & II, Ebay

Shadowgate is also on the GBC. It appeals to the D&D crowd(geeks, ) though, so it usaully goes for a little more.

Shadowgate, GBC

Mindscape published all these adventure games, based on the same game system, for the C-64, Amiga, Atari ST, PC and Mac. Eventually, they made their way to the NES and years later, the GBC. The best versions were on the 16-bit Amiga and Atari ST. They also made a horror adventure game called, The Uninvited, which was excellent and also made it's way to the NES. Not sure if The Univited made it to the GBC though.
Havoc2049 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2006, 12:38 PM   #50
MarionetteKazuk
Problem?

Quote:
Originally Posted by AtariX
Here you go. You can probably get it for dirt cheap.

GBC, Deja Vu I & II, Ebay

Shadowgate is also on the GBC. It appeals to the D&D crowd(geeks, ) though, so it usaully goes for a little more.

Shadowgate, GBC

Mindscape published all these adventure games, based on the same game system, for the C-64, Amiga, Atari ST, PC and Mac. Eventually, they made their way to the NES and years later, the GBC. The best versions were on the 16-bit Amiga and Atari ST. They also made a horror adventure game called, The Uninvited, which was excellent and also made it's way to the NES. Not sure if The Univited made it to the GBC though.

Ah..., I think Uninvited was the other game that I played as well. Is it a game where you have to go into this house and there's this ordinary (or what seems to be) lady standing in the hall? If so then I haven't beat that game yet, I forgot why, but I think it was because I took too long or something and my character died. Come to think of it I didn't beat deja vu either, I got to the ending (i think). I know I was following a strategy guide after a while because I was stuck on this one part forever. Thanks for the links btw.
Old 01-03-2006, 01:53 PM   #51
Beam
~The Last Of The Old Guard~

hey i remember zombies ate my neighbors, and it was a great game to boot. but my all time favorite game was rock'n'racing for the snes.

PSN: Beam_626

Twitter: Beam626
Beam is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2006, 06:43 PM   #52
Vicviper
Hello handsome!

Good reviews Marionette.

Super Mario 2 is in my top 3 favorite Mario titles of all time. What a great game and so different from anything else at the time. I remember beating the game in under an hour many many many times with the warp trick. I also really liked the last boss. He rivals Bowser in the evil catagory.

Zombies is a good game also. I enjoyed that one for the most part. I did like the sound effects and music but for me the game was a tad hard but still fun to play.

I should try Deja Vu as I really liked Shadowgate and Sword of Hope 1&2 for GB. Have you tried Sword of Hope? Definetely worth it.
Vicviper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2006, 11:50 PM   #53
MarionetteKazuk
Problem?

Sword of Hope? Nah, I've never played that. If you like shadow gate then you'll like Deja Vu really good, and also Uninvited, those two games have the exact same gameplay as Shadow Gate.
Old 03-11-2006, 07:13 PM   #54
MarionetteKazuk
Problem?

Mortal Kombat Trilogy (N64)

It's been a while since I've reviewed anything, and since I have a bit of free time right now I may as well do one.

Ok, this one's on the N64 version of Mortal Kombat Trilogy.

Story: The story of this game is just basicly continuing from the previous MK games. You have to join the tournament and defeat the opponents and also defeat Shao Kahn (once again). In actuallity there's many different story lines because depending on who you use to win will affect the story's outcome and it'll show the story at the end of the game.

Graphics: The graphics were better on here than the previous MK games. The only problem with them though is that the characters to me seemed bigger on the screen than the previous mk games, but it wasn't a very big problem.

Gameplay: The fighting wasn't entirely great, there were some things about it that I didin't like including the glitches in some parts. The fighting is kinda slow in the game, basicly since I've been playing a lot of face-paced fighting games like marvel vs capcom 2, guilty gear, etc. The character selections were pretty good, they had a decent amount of characters.

Sound: The bg music in the game was good and fit the levels. Also the sound effects were done nicely, although some seemed to have just been ripped from the snes/genesis ultimate mk3 games.

Scores
Story: 7/10 - The stories aren't really great in the game imo.
Graphics: 8/10 - The graphics were good, but they could've done a bit better in some areas.
Gameplay: 7/10 - The gameplay wasn't exactly good, but not bad either.
Sound: 7/10 - The sounds were good, but as I said some seemed like they were ripped from a previous mk game.

Get/Play it?
The game is pretty much worth playing if you like MK 3 and Ultimate MK 3, but really I would rather play other fighting games than this one.
Old 03-12-2006, 07:34 AM   #55
Dracula

I played this game to death back in 98, or was it 97? In any case, I agree with your review, it was enjoyable for what it was.
Dracula is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-28-2006, 10:09 PM   #56
MarionetteKazuk
Problem?

Another genesis flashback.

Theme Park

Story(made up) You are the owner of a small theme park. Your mission is to make it succesfull by setting up rides, attractions, etc and keep your park up and running.

Gameplay:
The gameplay was good for it's time. It's a pretty simple gameplay compared to something like Rollercoaster tycoon. Everything is pretty much pre-made, like the rides, for the exception of a few where you can set a course or track. You can change the admission price (if any) for a ride or the price of food and the main admission fee for the park. You can hire different kinds of staff like maintanance men, mechanics, clowns and security guards, but of course they (like everything else) costs money. I don't recall the walkways costing any money. You can set all the rides and what not pretty much anywhere you want within the park's boudaries.

Graphics:
The graphics had more of a kiddy feel to them, seeing as this is aimed towards kids and plus a theme park has to be "Happy". Really I can't complain about the graphics, they fit the game for the most part.

Sounds:
The music was a theme park style of course and did go well with the game. There was also other misc sounds that were threw in there. Same as the graphics I can't complain really.

Scores
Story: Well, since there was no real story (made one up) I can't give a score for it. You just basicly set your own path in the game..... literally.

Gameplay: 8/10 - The game was pretty enjoyable, but since it's targeted more for kids it's somewhat limited on what it can do.

Graphics: 7.5/10 - This game was on a genesis, so the graphics were horrible, (j/k of course), but they were kiddy, so yeah.

Sounds: 7/10 - Meh, the music went with the game, but if you play the game for more than 15 minutes it gets pretty annoying.

I would say if you haven't played this and you're bored out your mind you could give it a wirl. Don't buy the game, just download the rom.
Old 03-29-2006, 10:29 PM   #57
Alexander
I speak with codes.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Marionette, in his MK review
Story: 7/10 - The stories aren't really great in the game imo.
Man, you over-review things. If a story isn't that great, it definitely doesn't deserve a seven, which is significantly above average. Here's a little scale that might help.

1: Worst story ever
2: Terrible
3: Bad
4: Somewhat interesting
5: Average
6: Good
7: Great
8: Extremely Great
9: Amazing
10: Best Story ever.
Alexander is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-29-2006, 10:44 PM   #58
MarionetteKazuk
Problem?

The way I pretty much think of it is anything below a 6 isn't good, a 6 is somewhat interesting, 7 average, 8 great, 9 very good, 10 best story. Because to me (really to anyone else) 5 is 50% and that's not average to me.
Old 03-30-2006, 08:16 AM   #59
Icarus4578
Deal with it.

With a title like Theme Park, are you actually expecting a classic?
Old 03-30-2006, 09:26 AM   #60
Alexander
I speak with codes.

Quote:
Originally Posted by MarionetteKazuk
The way I pretty much think of it is anything below a 6 isn't good, a 6 is somewhat interesting, 7 average, 8 great, 9 very good, 10 best story. Because to me (really to anyone else) 5 is 50% and that's not average to me.
The American school system has destroyed your sense of logic! 5 is the average of 0 and 10, whether it's "average to you" or not. What's the point of even having a scale that goes below 5 if 5 is bad?
Alexander is offline   Reply With Quote