The MagicBox Forums  

Go Back   The MagicBox Forums > General Topics > PC / Games / Internets Discussion

Old 11-18-2007, 09:10 PM   #16
Mistatee
Linguistic Massacre

Just pray u dont have to add or remove hardware anytime soon. That is going to be a pain in the ass...

Otherwise, awesome though...
Old 11-18-2007, 09:49 PM   #17
Risky
Stop right there criminal scum!

i have that g7, best mouse ever made.
Risky is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-18-2007, 10:15 PM   #18
Reality
Sin and Punishment

To set some records straight. Yeah, we are doing the mineral oil PC. The system though will go under a 2 weeks test period before being placed in any oil. To assure all parts are working.

Last edited by Reality; 11-18-2007 at 10:22 PM.
Reality is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-18-2007, 10:25 PM   #19
Alucard

Seriously the oil thing is stupid. Dont get why you want to waste your time with that. It WILL piss you off later down the track when you need to replace stuff.
Alucard is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-18-2007, 10:56 PM   #20
Reality
Sin and Punishment

This is my bros PC. Not mine. He could put motor oil all in it if he choses so. For better or worse I've heard nothing bad happing to oil machines so it should be a interesting set up through it all and learning experience that will help us all understand the risk or benefits.
Old 11-19-2007, 01:02 AM   #21
Mistatee
Linguistic Massacre

But if something were to break say 2 months down the line, the process of fixing that will be a pain in the ass. As would be adding another HDD, or some other hardware.

Atleast you are waiting awhile to do this though, however with a single fan, heat might get kinda crazy, especially with no PSU vent. If I understand correctly, part of the benefit of using oil is to cool the parts as well.
Old 11-19-2007, 04:56 AM   #22
Alucard

Just SMACK the idiot across the head. Thats all the learning he needs. If you really want fanless then go get liquid cooling setup, not some dodgy retarded oil system. Thats just begging for bad things to happen. Dunno why someone would spend $1000 on a system and then smother it with oil. He'll regret it then label pc gaming as shit and never go near it again. Tell him to buy a 360 and fill it with oil.
Old 11-19-2007, 06:24 AM   #23
spider-prime
NOW IN CINEMAPHONIC QUADROVISION!

Location: I hated going to weddings cause all the grandmas would poke me saying "you're next, you're next". They stopped saying that when I did it to them at Funerals.
I would love to buy a cheap computer/parts to try this tho. and by cheap I mean a computer that is for free..... time to get my brother's old computer!
spider-prime is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-19-2007, 09:50 AM   #24
Reality
Sin and Punishment

Well here is how the oil PC works. The heat through out the entire system is spread evenly. It would take a oil PC 10 hours under massive load to reach the temps a normal system would in 1-2. With the addition of passive reservoir your top tempt can be cut in a flat half. Now what to do when a part needs replaced? Thats always a chance to take. To replace a part, or even add a part later on, will require you to slid the mother board tray up and remove the peice. Then slid it back into its tank. Cleaning that part is a rinse and let dry.
Old 11-19-2007, 09:57 AM   #25
Alucard

You're basically saying thata PC under heavy load will be at risk of something bad after 1-2hours. PCs dont overheat if you have decent fans and heatsinks on them. Unless you plan to overclock everything passed dangerous point, there is zero need for oil. If something goes wrong with the PC, it wont be your brother getting his fingers oily to change stuff. He'll be hassling you to do it.
Old 11-19-2007, 06:46 PM   #26
Kiuju2k
Oh no!

That keyboard kicks ass. I think i want one of those. Its wireless obviously right?

Zechin
Kiuju2k is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-19-2007, 08:32 PM   #27
Reality
Sin and Punishment

The keyboard is sadly wired. I wish they was wireless but at the moment I'm just happy such a keyboard is around. I have one and I love it. Hard to use anything else for gaming.

Now. I'll say this simply. The oil is a go. The appeal is simple. It'll keep a SLI machine 2x cooler without expensive water cooling set up or loud dust sucking fans. I know some are against it and I respect those opinions. Deeply I do. But those views have been posted aplenty now and so I'll kindly request all other comments made out for just for negative down play to my brothers decision be kept away. I respectfully listened and shared them with him but he, and even myself, feel confident that the oil will do no harm and cleaning (if necessary) is not enough to drag down the overall appeal and benefits. So with all that behind I think the best approach to observing this project be with interest in its outcome. Not in the hopes that it all fails but with hopes it pays off and if it does so, it can lead to greater and cooler PCs for other members in the future. As a friend of the forums that is my only request.
Old 11-19-2007, 08:39 PM   #28
Vegetto
Alive

instead of typing such a long paragraph wouldnt it have been easier to just say "STFU quit hasslin me about it"?

lololol anyway Im def curious as to how its gonna work out, so I say go for it
Vegetto is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-19-2007, 11:30 PM   #29
Alucard

yeah I think stfu would of been easier!
Old 11-19-2007, 11:39 PM   #30
Reality
Sin and Punishment

Now lets all hug.