The MagicBox Forums  

Go Back   The MagicBox Forums > General Topics > MagicBox Member Reviews

Old 03-25-2005, 04:58 AM   #166
Joe Redifer
Olé!

Quote:
The PSP had 24 games at launch
Damn! I think that's more games than the DS will have EVER.
Joe Redifer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-25-2005, 05:40 AM   #167
Paper exe
Pwnd

What are you talking about Messanic?PSP launch titles are 15 not 23.
were do you get this falls infromation don't tell me from IGN or GameSpot or EGM. :annoyed:
because we all know that they will lie about it and if you don't believe me go count them from your self and then come and tell me it is 23
and now NDS have 18 games and don't forgot that PSP released after it in only one month in japan thats mean in the past 3 months they were working on the games but instead of releaseing it in time they just wait 1 or 2 extra months
and about PSP just wait 3 or 4 months you will notice that NDS and PSP get the same amunt of games in every month and don't forgot that Sony is the king of cancelling and NDS have as much third party games if not more so expect alot less games. :thumbdn:
Paper exe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-25-2005, 07:09 AM   #168
Icarus4578
Deal with it.

How do you figure that the PSP is an 8.8 overall? You've had it for a day or so, and it's only been available in the US for a couple of days now. Shouldn't you wait until several years down the line before rating a system? Like I said in another thread, the system is only as good as the software, and, thus far, the PSP has had a lackluster showing with ports/rehashes, not unlike the DS' offerings up until now. To make matters worse, there's been a steady stream of complaints against the PSP -- it's unreliable.

Messanic ~ "The PSP is pretty resilient..."

Try dropping it from approx. 4 or 5 feet and get back to me on that.
Icarus4578 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-25-2005, 09:24 AM   #169
Nephlabobo
Banned

How about after the big fiasco in Paper's thread and everybody rushing to his defense about HIS opinions (and rightfully so - it's his thread) that we not start jumping down somebody ELSE'S throat about THEIR opinions?

If the guy thinks it's worth 8.8 - leave it at that.
Nephlabobo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-25-2005, 09:39 AM   #170
Icarus4578
Deal with it.

If he reviews a game system this early, I think that's just as wrong. Messanic, Paper, etc. can do anything they want. But I see this as disingenuous and premature. Placing a rating on a system, no matter which one, should only be done once it's run its course. If you disagree, fine. I'm not losing any sleep over it.
Old 03-25-2005, 10:23 AM   #171
Nephlabobo
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Icarus4578
If he reviews a game system this early, I think that's just as wrong. Messanic, Paper, etc. can do anything they want. But I see this as disingenuous and premature.
That's not the point. This is not your thread. Not your place to be telling people what or how to post.
Nephlabobo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-25-2005, 01:29 PM   #172
Messanic
I'm D-E-D, Dead!

Once again the Sony haters show why people don't take too kindly to them. I reviewed the DS only a day after I got it, and it averaged out to a 9.3, the SNES was the first console to get that same score from me too. You didn't complain about me reviewing the DS one day after I had it, and look how that turned out. Yeah, there was some chaos on launch day with the defective PSP's and whatnot, but at least people were still able to get working PSP's. Anyways, I'm glad I'm not a discriminate gamer, if I was then I'd never play all the great games that I've come across in my life.

Last edited by Messanic; 03-25-2005 at 06:00 PM.
Messanic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-25-2005, 07:05 PM   #173
Messanic
I'm D-E-D, Dead!

Darkstalkers 3/ Vampire Chronicle/ Darkstalkers Chronicle

Thats right, three awsome ports of three awsome Capcom fighters are being reviewed in one. Darkstalkers 3 was released on the PS1 in 1998, Vampire Chronicle for the DC in 2000, and for the PSP yesterday in the US, now then.

Graphics - DS3 8/ VC 10/DSC 10
Lets start with DS3, most of the animations are there, it was actually the closest Capcom ever got to arcade perfection on the PS1 until SFA3 and Jojo's Bizzare Adventure came out. The animations are smooth and this was actually the start of good things to come from Capcom fighters for the PS1. The Dreamcast version, was arcade perfect, it even surpasses the Saturn version by having all the animations for every character from all the games they were in. The new characters also have a few new animations to adjust to the old play styles of the previous three games they werent in. The PSP version also follows suit and is just as pretty as the DC version, it can also be played in widescreen or normal.

Sound - DS3 8/VC 9/DSC 10
The PS1's voices are almost arcade perfect, but due to only having so much memory, the sound quality had to be lowered a little. The most noticable sounds are the voices, they don't sound as clear as they do in the arcade. The Dreamcast version however, is just that, arcade perfect, all the sounds are of the same exact quality of the arcade. The PSP version however, has better sound than all the DS games ever ported, even better than the arcade versions. To back up that claim, I was playing Vampire Savior 2 on Kawaks, and I wanted to play with the sound test. I was also messing with the sound test on my DSC for PSP, it turns out that Capcom had resampled all of the sound for the PSP version.

Gameplay - DS3 9/VC 9/DSC 8
DS3 for the PS1 managed to keep the same great gameplay along with most of the animations found in the arcade version. This makes for one awsome port, it was also packed with a crazy amount of extras. Theres a character building mode, tons of extra options to make or break the game at your leisure, and an art gallery for pics, and movies. The actual gamplay only offers gameplay modes from the Vampire Savior 1+2 games, but you also get Huitzil, Pyron, and Donovan. VC for the Dreamcast not only offers you the gameplay, characters and appendix options from DS3, it also has an online mode. You can also choose which game engine and which particular style of gameplay for all the characters from all the DS games in history.

The only downside is that the endings arent present in the DC version, but all the intros are, they also don't use the game engine. The PSP version has all that the DC version has, but you actually get all the endings for every character from all the games as well as the intros, and a new Chaos Tower mode. The Chaos Tower mode is actually the subtitle for the PSP version and it's pretty much like SC2's Edge Master/Quest mode with a little survival thrown in for fun. The PSP version isn't as nice to people when it comes to button motions though, your also stuck with just the digital pad, so Capcom included an easy mode for people who can't hack it. All the attacks have new button motions and even people that suck can play this awsome game on the PSP.

Overall - DS3 8.3/VC 9.3/DSC 9.3
These are all awsome games, and I own them all, you all should own them too. I don't own the Saturn version Vampire Savior, but I don't need to when I have these three, the PSP version is also portable and unedited. So to all, get these games, if you hate the PS1 then get Vampire Chronicle for the PSP and DC, if you hate the PSP, show Sega and Capcom love whilst you spite Sony and thier PSP.
Old 03-26-2005, 12:46 AM   #174
Icarus4578
Deal with it.

Nephlabobo ~ "That's not the point. This is not your thread. Not your place to be telling people what or how to post."

Please, get a life. Your sorry crusade is pathetic. Notice that I never told anybody what to do; I simply disagreed with reviewing systems so early. If Paper, Messanic, ME, or ANYBODY ELSE reviewed a system just a day or so after owning it, it's just as wrong from my perspective.

Messanic ~ "Once again the Sony haters show why people don't take too kindly to them. I reviewed the DS only a day after I got it, and it averaged out to a 9.3, the SNES was the first console to get that same score from me too. You didn't complain about me reviewing the DS one day after I had it, and look how that turned out. Yeah, there was some chaos on launch day with the defective PSP's and whatnot, but at least people were still able to get working PSP's. Anyways, I'm glad I'm not a discriminate gamer, if I was then I'd never play all the great games that I've come across in my life."

I never agreed with that, either. But since this is becoming the norm, I just felt like sounding off on the subject. Whether it's the DS or the Vectrex, why would you wanna rate something based on first impressions and then attach a score to it? That's like if I had just bought a game, played it for 20 minutes and then fired up a review. My remarks weren't meant to be an insult, just an opinion. In regards to your last comment (swipe), I'm glad I'm a discriminate gamer because I won't be a sheep to the mainstream and waste my money and my time on the rehash, 'me-too' garbage that's out there. I discriminate against games that are developed without any thought or passion behind the production. Being "open-minded" shouldn't mean that one should simply accept everything that happens.
Old 03-26-2005, 03:27 AM   #175
Messanic
I'm D-E-D, Dead!

So this argument will stop here and now, your right, you don't have to agree with the way I write my reviews. Either way, thier just opinions, we arent being payed off by Sony or Microsoft to do them, but some people here do enjoy reading our reviews, especially Joes. Lastly, I don't accept everything that happens, if I did that then I wouldn't have taken my PSP back to exchange it.
Old 04-04-2005, 12:25 AM   #176
Messanic
I'm D-E-D, Dead!

Devil May Cry 3

Time for another long overdue review, I said that I would review DMC3, and well I am. This time it's a prequal, and what a prequal it is. Some pedo- err, Priest, barges into Dante's shop and invites him to a party hosted by none other than Dante's twin brother Vergil. After the faggot runs off like a pansey, a few demons intterupt Dante's meal by stabbing him a few times. Rather than taking all the sharp obhects Dante had been impaled with, he decides to beat the crap out of all the demons while these sharp objects are still stuck in his flesh. After Dante finally takes all those sharp objects out, the first mission starts.

Graphics - 9
This game is a technical marvel on the PS2, while not the best graphics ever seen on PS2, this game looks good and always runs at a constant 60fps. There is absolutely no slowdown, at least I havent ran into any, but some people have, maybe they just suck. I really like the gothic and dark level and character designs that the team at Capcom put into this game too. The Dynamic camera angles have also returned and with that, they are awsome. The lighting effects are also some of the best that I've seen on the PS2 so far. In short, kudos to Capcom for making a very well rendered game with no slowdown. The camera is also fully rotatable in the areas where you have to fight, so bad camera problems are solved already.

Sound - 8
The vocal tracks can grate on your nerves and they could have used a better artist for such a task, like System of a Down or Mudvayne. But other than that, the non vocal tracks are standard action game stuff and are no more an no less. The voice acting is also of high quality, while there are some lame sets of dialogue, I enjoyed the effort that Capcom put into making the voices not suck.

Gameplay - 10
You can equip up to four different weapons, two melee and two guns, at a time and switch them on the fly. There are different styles to choose from and all of the styles as well as weapons have a lot of strengths and very few weaknesses, especially the Trickter, and Swordmaster styles with the Rebellion and Beowulf weapons. You start off with four different styles, the Rebellion and Ebony and Ivory. You find the extra guns along the way through the game, and the other weapons and styles are earned from bosses just like the old Megaman games. You can also level up your weapons, and styles so that you can kick even more ass. You can also get awsome combos starting from titles like "Alright, Dope and Showtime," whats even better is that you can taunt to get an even better combo. Combo's are only for measuring your style while the styles affect how you go about achieving those combos, in other words the styles are just types of gameplay engines for Dante. Lastly, you can devil trigger, this mode gives you increased speed and strength for a limited amount of time, and while it takes a whiles to run out, it doesn't tak long to get back. This game is downright fun and regardless of what people say, theres a use for everything Dante has in this game.

Redeeming quality - 10
While I never played DMC2 I think I'm glad I didn't, I've read enough reviews on the game to know it's booring. But for those that didn't like DMC2 and are afraid of playing DMC3, rest assured, this game has it all, the gameplay even surpasses Ninja Gaiden on everything except difficulty, it also isn't linear like NG and DMC. Now before Gearhound attacks me because what I've said about his beloved Ninja Gaiden, I'll say that this game isn't as hard as NG. The gameplay is better though, it has what Itagaki tried to make excuses for, and that is a difficulty that doesn't need patching and switching between multiple wepons during gameplay, on the PS2 even. Sadly like Tekken 5, people are walking away from it when they see it on the store shelves, and with good reason, DMC2 sucked.

Replay - 9
I enjoy playing this game over and over agian, my personal favorite difficulty is hard mode, becuase you take less damage and are able to do more awsome combo's on it. There are also hidden missions and some power leveling to do, while it helps, you can still do without it. I also didn't earn the Easy difficulty like most did, I used the code to unlock everything. While the unlockables are nice after beating the game on different difficulties, or losing too much, I find that playing the game for the game alone is enough for me.

Overall - 9.2
It's $50, while it isn't cheap, I haven't seen a price drop or a trade in for this game yet. So wether you want it now or later, you still have to play it as it's one of the best action games this year and this gen for that matter.
Old 04-04-2005, 03:25 PM   #177
Messanic
I'm D-E-D, Dead!

I might or not at all review:
Nights - Saturn
Chaos Field - Dreamcast
DDR Utramix 2 - Xbox
Sonic Jam - Saturn
Sonic Mega Collection - PS2, GCN, Xbox

Last edited by Messanic; 04-09-2005 at 05:03 PM.
Messanic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-04-2005, 06:07 PM   #178
gearhound
Versus the World

DMC3 uses in-game polys and not pre-rendered drops. i think they mix it up with the cut scenes and of course the movies are rendered. you can barely move the camera in DMC3 with the right thumb stick. i think it is useless when you are fighting. nice score, btw.

Last edited by gearhound; 04-04-2005 at 06:13 PM.
gearhound is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-04-2005, 10:26 PM   #179
Messanic
I'm D-E-D, Dead!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Joe Redifer
Damn! I think that's more games than the DS will have EVER.

I made a mistake, there were actually 24 games announced to be out around the PSP's launch. But even still, theres even more good games/ports for the PSP at launch than the DS had. Gearhound, all the movies arent prerendered, they actually use the game engine but the quality of the visuals are much better, but because of how far the PS2 can be pushed, the cutscenes run at 30fps.
Old 04-04-2005, 10:53 PM   #180
gearhound
Versus the World

yeah, i am talking about the real-time graphics though.