The MagicBox Forums  

Go Back   The MagicBox Forums > General Topics > PC / Games / Internets Discussion

Old 05-12-2006, 01:02 AM   #1
MarionetteKazuk
Problem?

A+ Certification

Does anyone know of any kind of free A+ certification software, or study aid? I'm going to switch from C+ studying to A+. Any help for it's appreciated. :cool guy:
MarionetteKazuk is offline   Reply With Quote
Connect With Facebook to "Like" This Thread

Old 05-12-2006, 01:59 AM   #2
Seraph
>:3

A+ certification is not that hard to get. At least I dont think it is.
Seraph is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-12-2006, 02:30 AM   #3
Mistatee
Linguistic Massacre

My school used a program called Test out when I was studying for my A+ cert.
heres a link!

http://www.testout.com/

And if your real lazy, a direct link to there A+ section

http://www.testout.com/aplus/index.htm

Unfortunelty these are $700, so you can "obtain them" or drop a Ps3 size wod of cash, or take others advice.

Personally I wouldn't pay that much for it. I got mine free when I enrolled in a class in my Public school. Then again both of the test you take for A+ cost $90 or more each time, so it could be worth the investment if you feel really weak in the A+ field.

Personally I found both tests easy, though the OS section was harder, and I would of definetly had to study my ass off for it if I wasn't already certified in Windows 2000.

As for the software, it has a lot of boring demos that seemed to help a lot. It was simulated hands-on. But the main part that helps are the tests. They have 5 years worth of old old tests compiled, so passing their test consistantly means you pass the A+ cert garunteed. Plus a lot of the questions they give you, the A+ exam will actually have, since they tend to re-use a lot of questions.

Id definetly recomend it for the OS section, as that is alot harder then the Hardware. So if you really are interested, but can only buy one, get the OS.

Now if only I could remember the damn book we used as well.

Last edited by Mistatee; 05-12-2006 at 02:33 AM.
Mistatee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-12-2006, 04:11 AM   #4
Northeastmonk

Thanks for the information on A+. Does being certified for an OS go on resumes as well? Or do companies look at this as being a tool for gaming?
Northeastmonk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-12-2006, 10:46 AM   #5
MarionetteKazuk
Problem?

Thanks for the info Mista. Wow it says it's "only" $695. Yeah, that's quite a bit for software, but at least it's for something that's going to make you some money. It's probably going to be hard to "obtain" it *wink* because I can't find it anywhere, but it won't stop me from still looking. In my computer class I'm taking right now, one of the teachers game me some software to put on my computer that's supposed to be a study aid for A+, but it's broken into 3 parts. There's the main part of the program that's used for studying/training and the other 2 are for tests. The study part for some odd reason only works on windows nt, and of course we're running xp, and the test parts worked fine for me. It has a..... I guess "study" mode on one of the test where it asks you questions, you answer it and you click on a button called "Explain", and it'll give you the right answer and explain why it's the right one, it seems pretty good, but the thing is I'd rather have the actual study section as well because it'll go into more detail with it. Then my other teacher game me some other software which is just a bunch of videos, some vids are like of what is a motherboard and the parts of it and what they do, how slots work, ect. Then there's another set of vids that are more about the OS section like saying if you're upgrading from windows (insert server version) to another server version what steps would you have to take and what not. But those videos to me seem a bit dated, but still helpful none the less.

Also, NWMonk, yes certification for an OS definitely goes on your resume. In fact, any kind of certification you get should be put on your resume. Btw, I got my NRF customer service certification a few weeks ago, and we're also supposed to be getting another certification in something else, but every damn time I ask specifically what certification is it (it's for computers) they are sketchy on the details. I was thinking it was one in basic A+, but I pretty sure that I'd have to be studying that for at least 6 months, I've only been in that class for about 3. And about being a tool for gaming..... not really. A+ (from what I understand) deals with computer hardware and OS stuff, like maintaing servers. I was doing C+, but since I'm not in college right now (i was going there for programming) I'm focusing more on hardware and OS stuff since it'll probably be a lot more beneficial to me than programming right now.

Also, mistatee, you said you're certified in windows 2000? Is that certification for life, or do you have to renew it every so often? Because my teacher says that A+ certifications are for life, and he also said our NRF (National Retail Federation) certification is for life as well, but he didn't read on it that it says it's good up to 3 years and we have to get it renewed, so...... that kinda put a dent in my trust if he knows about the A+ certification being for life.
Old 05-13-2006, 06:16 PM   #6
Northeastmonk

Is C++ a basic class or does it go into the program later on? In some classes it seems its the whole semester of learning it and others seems to be learning each fields..ie Advanced, II, etc. Get my point? I wouldn't mind getting certified in an OS if it would help me get a job, but what would a certification of XP do if they switch to Vista?
Northeastmonk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-13-2006, 06:59 PM   #7
MarionetteKazuk
Problem?

As far as C++ it goes on. Such as when I was going to college, you would start off in intro to programming for C++, then the next term you would go onto Intermediate C++, and so on. Eventually they moved onto other stuff too like direct x and what not. About the certification in XP, it would still be good because chances are a lot of people are still going to be using xp when vista comes out.