The MagicBox Forums  

Go Back   The MagicBox Forums > General Topics > General Gaming Discussion

Old 04-16-2020, 07:33 PM   #16
Nem
Smash bro!

Journey on ps4.

Cute, but ultimately boring walking simulator. At least it was over fast.
Old 04-17-2020, 08:39 PM   #17
BlindMaphisto
DANGER-HUMAN

Journey to a Savage Planet. Pretty good. Lots of humor and personality.
Old 04-20-2020, 09:12 PM   #18
Nem
Smash bro!

Tales of Berseria.

The weebs will tell you this is their favorite one. It has a troll comic relief character and an interesting ending and that's all it takes for them really.

From the post Vesperia era, this is the best one. But, it still isn't in the level of a Symphonia/Vesperia/Abyss in terms of pacing and imo combat, because the titles since adapted the graces spammage combat i'm not a fan of. I always prefered the more tactical TP management combat style. But, from the spammy combat, this is the best one, cause even if you run out of resources mid combo, you can still continue and the damage scaling isn't messed up like the other games where you hit like wet noodles until an AI goes on the same target as you.
In this one, you can do ok damage by yourself and it increases as the combo counter does, but it's not an exponential increase, though it's still visible. They also added some character specific special moves and made it so you can use more than one character in battle.

Anyways, this game embraces mmo tropes in gear randomness and time locked mini games from mobile. Either of those systems was unecessary and just means they put more grind in there.
Some dungeons are really long cave corridors, wich is never good form. Many zones were just big for no reason wich made for a lot of boring trecking. The hoverboard was kind of slow and difficult to control too.

Verdict is that, it's not so bad. It's alright. Not amazing, not awful.

Took me about 60 hours. I skipped most optional stuff. The combat was not interesting enough after 50 hours that i could be bothered.

Last edited by Nem; 05-15-2020 at 04:24 PM.
Nem is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-20-2020, 09:32 PM   #19
spider-prime
NOW IN CINEMAPHONIC QUADROVISION!

Location: I hated going to weddings cause all the grandmas would poke me saying "you're next, you're next". They stopped saying that when I did it to them at Funerals.
I beat DOOM 2016, now I just need the new one. Loved it. I want Doom guy in Smash bros now!

Going to beat Dishonored 2 now. Going through my backlog finally.
spider-prime is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-21-2020, 01:36 AM   #20
Escaflowne2001
... ... ... ...

This was a nice little horror game that while in 2D has the same kind of atmosphere as a Project Zero/Fatal Frame games. The game is set in the 1960's during Taiwan's martial law and deals with the officials fear of Chinese propaganda. Which were known to be very strict and overzealous at the time, also dealing with the aftermath that can cause. I found it very interesting as I never really knew much about it beforehand if I'm honest. The game mainly centers around puzzles and finding out what to do next with the occasion fight with a spirit which mainly involves finding the right way to get past, two endings you should aim to watch both to see what happens to all the characters.
Escaflowne2001 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2020, 06:38 PM   #21
BlindMaphisto
DANGER-HUMAN

Streets of rage 4. Super fun and quick game. I feel like it has a ton of replay value.
Old 05-08-2020, 11:34 AM   #22
flamingspiral
Watch Out!

FF12: Zodiac Age. Put in around 85 hours into this game. Huge maps with huge replay value. Would've put in more, but the last couple of hunts were just too hard.
flamingspiral is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-2020, 03:10 AM   #23
Rubeus

Just finished Final Fantasy VII Remake, you can treat it as a different game from the original FF7. The ending is confusing -- would be even more confusing if you don't know the "universe" of FF7.
Rubeus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-15-2020, 04:20 PM   #24
Nem
Smash bro!

Persona 5 royal.

That one was a doozie! 160 hours! I did get the platinum though.
I'm not gonna say the game is perfect. The hardest boss fight was like on the 5th palace, wich is a bit after the middle of the game.
It's not like i loved the start (all npc's are dicks to the MC), though i understand the necessity. The menu's were over stylised. The chat box in particular covered too much of the screen for no reason. Finally, too many useless phone text chat conversations. I started skipping them later in the game.

But, there's no denying it's a great game. Though, i think i prefered Persona 4 golden. Both are great though.

Oh... beat Streets of Rage 4 aswell.

The modern soundtrack wasn't as good as the originals but i got used to it. They really need to put back the original end stage gingle though. Though it is in there with the classic soundtrack. Unfortunely the game gear tunes are not ideal. Apparantly, they couldn't get the rights for the mega drive original SoR soundtrack. No SoR3 tracks either.

Aside from that, i prefered the classic controls to the new ones. So, i was happy they gave that option.

Just a really fun game. Short, but sweet, with lots of replay value. They don't make these anymore. Lets hope we see more Streets of rage. Gaming needs this series.

Last edited by Nem; 05-15-2020 at 08:05 PM.
Old 05-26-2020, 10:37 AM   #25
BlindMaphisto
DANGER-HUMAN

Shadow Warrior 2. Like a mashup of Doom and Diablo. Fun game for sure.
Old 06-02-2020, 12:44 AM   #26
Nem
Smash bro!

Witcher 3 Wild hunt

I have mixed feelings about it. It's an amazing looking game. Exploration and a vast world. But, just like most open worlds, it just takes too damn long to get anything done. Only being able to fast travel in a road post was pretty annoying. The combat itself isn't amazing but the strategising is. Gear is treated like an mmo as well. Set bonuses, tiers, augmentation slots.
Also the game is way too complex. 100 different traits but you have to choose what to get and can only equip 12.
I guess what i'm saying is that the game is amazing, but also overbearing.
Oh and the in-game gwent mini game was pretty cool!

Last edited by Nem; 06-11-2020 at 06:25 PM.
Old 06-05-2020, 05:36 PM   #27
BlindMaphisto
DANGER-HUMAN

Minecraft Dungeons and The Outer Worlds. Liked them both but Minecraft was super short.
Old 06-11-2020, 11:46 AM   #28
BlindMaphisto
DANGER-HUMAN

Titanfall 2. Absolutely fantastic campaign.
Old 06-15-2020, 11:18 PM   #29
Nem
Smash bro!

C&C Tiberium Dawn (remastered).

Basically one of the ones from the recent remaster. Still a pretty damn good game. I enjoyed it a lot!
Old 06-18-2020, 08:13 AM   #30
BlindMaphisto
DANGER-HUMAN

Played the order 1886. Beautiful animation and graphics, good story, but any game with that many quicktime events can kiss my ass.