The MagicBox Forums  

Go Back   The MagicBox Forums > General Topics > PC / Games / Internets Discussion

Old 12-07-2005, 07:35 PM   #1
MarionetteKazuk
Problem?

Angry Effin' router!

Ok, so some of you know that I couldn't play the mario kart ds wifi because my router was acting weird. Well I thought maybe if I'd update the firmware it would be fine. So I go into my router by typing the ip address and making a backup of the firmware/settings I had. Then I went to the linksys site and downloaded the newest firmware. I downloaded it and updated the router's firmware. During the update (towards the end) this thing was displayed on the page that looked kinda like the download status for ie when it shows the percentage downloaded of the file. Well it got to the end and then the page failed to display. So I try going into the router again through the ip address but no success. So I rebooted my computer. Still nothing, I couldn't even connect to the internet with my pc. So I unplug the router for about 1 1/2 minutes and then restore the power and it worked. The problem now is that the wireless light indicator on my router isn't on, and when I try to connect with my ds it can't detect it. Also I have two other computers + a ps2 on this router and the ps2 and my sister's computer won't connect (even though they're on a network cable not wireless), but my computer can connect and even if I switch the cables in the router mine still connects but not theirs. I'm probably going to have to return it for a new one, but I hwas hoping if maybe if by some chance someone knew how to get this working.
MarionetteKazuk is offline   Reply With Quote
Connect With Facebook to "Like" This Thread

Old 12-07-2005, 08:33 PM   #2
Dr. Bombay
ificouldjustbemorehuman

Wireless is disabled. Change it in the router settings. also check the DHTP settings for your computer. Worst case situation, you'll have to assign IP's for all your computers.
~And The Lies There, The Scent Of It, Just Too Much~

~So Should You~
~Sow It Once and Make It Grow, The Sweet Clematis~
~Let It Flower, and Paint it All Of The Colors Old~
Instantly Things Fall and Fade, Return to Silence~
~Why Oh Why, Why Does It All Feel So Sorrowful?~
~Dreams Of What Is Real~
Dr. Bombay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-2005, 08:52 PM   #3
MarionetteKazuk
Problem?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dr. Bombay
Wireless is disabled. Change it in the router settings. also check the DHTP settings for your computer. Worst case situation, you'll have to assign IP's for all your computers.
That's the thing, I can't change the router settings. In order for me to change them I have to type the ip address of the router along with the password, but the dialogue box won't come up for me to type the password in and it'll just show that Can't display page.

How to I assign IPs for all my computers? Btw there's only 2 computers and a ps2.
Old 12-07-2005, 09:01 PM   #4
Reality
Sin and Punishment

I'm curious about something. If its not to personal, what kind of wireless card are you using and can you tell me what you paid for the router?
Old 12-07-2005, 09:04 PM   #5
MarionetteKazuk
Problem?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Reality
I'm curious about something. If its not to personal, what kind of wireless card are you using and can you tell me what you paid for the router?
I'm not using a wireless card, the router is wireless, it's G and B compatible. Also I wasn't the one who paid for it, my sister's boyfriend (who lives here with us) bought it, I don't really know how much because he's out somewhere right now, but it wasn't too expensive, i'd say about $30 - $35, but regardless it wasn't my money wasted.
Old 12-07-2005, 09:09 PM   #6
Reality
Sin and Punishment

Oh ok. So your just using the DS to connect. Hmm, to bad it was your Sis's bf who bought it. I would suggest maybe returning it and getting another branded router (even a doggle). This one sounds like a pain to hook up and get online with. And since you don't have a wireless card, hard to say if even a computer is able to connect on it right now.

Last edited by Reality; 12-07-2005 at 09:16 PM.
Reality is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-2005, 09:15 PM   #7
MarionetteKazuk
Problem?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Reality
Oh ok. So your just using the DS to connect. Hmm, to bad it was your Sis's bf who bought it. I would suggest maybe returning it and getting another branded router. This one sounds like a pain to hook up and get online with. And since you don't have a wireless card, hard to say if even a computer is able to connect on it right now.
Yeah, my ds is the only thing using the wireless part of the router, the 2 Pcs + ps2 are connecting to the router with network cables. I'm guessing that if we exchange and get the same kind of router (but a brand new one) that it'll fix this problem of me connecting with the DS, because at some times I can connect and others I can't. But I'll probably eventually get the DS doggle thing if the new router gives me problems because they're going to exchange the router tomorrow. But I just thing that this particular router was crappy and maybe a new one will work better. Actually this one isn't too old, it's about 3 weeks that we've had it.