The MagicBox Forums  

Go Back   The MagicBox Forums > Console Specifics > Microsoft Discussion

Old 03-11-2012, 05:19 AM   #31
Joe Redifer
Olé!

Indeed. Not wimpy-ass SD cards, either. But man-sized carts like we had for Genesis and Super Nintendo, only more like the Genesis because the SNES carts were pretty fugly. Neo-Geo sized carts would be good for bigger games like Metal Gear Solid 5. And make sure we need to blow on them in 10 years!
Joe Redifer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2012, 06:10 AM   #32
spider-prime
NOW IN CINEMAPHONIC QUADROVISION!

Location: I hated going to weddings cause all the grandmas would poke me saying "you're next, you're next". They stopped saying that when I did it to them at Funerals.
I still have unopened packages of cart cleaners for my original Game boy..... after looking in my storage bins, I also have some old Gameboy Printer paper that hasn't been opened. Oh, the memoriesssssssss.
spider-prime is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2012, 08:47 AM   #33
Icarus4578
Deal with it.

Digital distribution would be an immediate turn-off and inevitably lead to price-fixing. I say go with cards like TG16. They'll be able to fit just as much, if not more memory onto cards than Blu-rays come next year. They fit snug into a jewel case and are very easy to maintain, whereas cartridge-based software is more susceptible to dust, dirt and grime build-up, especially inside its shell plastic casing.
Old 03-11-2012, 09:18 AM   #34
Escaflowne2001
... ... ... ...

I'm under the belief DD isn't really that popular in Japan so that could prolong retail games on Sony's and Nintendos future consoles aswell. You don't see many Japanese games on XBoxlive I could be wrong though.
Escaflowne2001 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2012, 11:28 AM   #35
darren
... lol

I think there are a few. But the user base is not that great anyway. If it was a Japanese product they would be all over it.
XBL Herr Lip Steam Butters' Bottom Bitch (http://steamcommunity.com/id/buttersbottombitch)
darren is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2012, 02:42 PM   #36
Alucard

The whole reason for this is to sidestep the used market. Thats the only reason.
Alucard is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2012, 04:09 PM   #37
Joe Redifer
Olé!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Icarus4578 View Post
I say go with cards like TG16. .... whereas cartridge-based software is more susceptible to dust, dirt and grime build-up, especially inside its shell plastic casing.
Being on a cartridge doesn't make them any more prone to dust and whatnot. In fact since the TurboGrafx-16's pins are more exposed than regular carts, it's even worse. "But what about NES carts?" most people will retaliate with. Well, Nintendo sucked in the 8-bit days because they didn't know how to build their hardware. It's more the system's fault than the cart's.
Old 03-11-2012, 04:22 PM   #38
darren
... lol

my neogeo cart machine was the best for reliability back in the day
XBL Herr Lip Steam Butters' Bottom Bitch (http://steamcommunity.com/id/buttersbottombitch)
Old 03-11-2012, 04:54 PM   #39
Icarus4578
Deal with it.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Joe Redifer View Post
Being on a cartridge doesn't make them any more prone to dust and whatnot. In fact since the TurboGrafx-16's pins are more exposed than regular carts, it's even worse. "But what about NES carts?" most people will retaliate with. Well, Nintendo sucked in the 8-bit days because they didn't know how to build their hardware. It's more the system's fault than the cart's.
Not really. If dust gets inside a cart, it's much more difficult to clean out. I get what you're saying about the pins being exposed but it's the same deal with carts. I've yet to have an issue with a TG16 Hu-Card. They're small, slim and far easier to keep clean. Unlike much cart-based software, I don't have to blow on them in order to get them to work. They come with protective sleeves and are stored away in their jewel cases for safe-keeping. Obviously if you don't keep software stored away properly when not in use, it will be exposed to all the elements.

Some people I knew back in the day would leave their software strewn about everywhere with complete disregard for its well-being: on the floor/rug, bed, shelves, TV, etc. Heck, I'm probably just as guilty. As kids, we didn't really take software maintenance into consideration. Then again, I know some adults who will leave discs lying around in similar fashion... Point being, there is no full-proof format, especially against the element of stupidity.
Old 03-11-2012, 05:32 PM   #40
spider-prime
NOW IN CINEMAPHONIC QUADROVISION!

Location: I hated going to weddings cause all the grandmas would poke me saying "you're next, you're next". They stopped saying that when I did it to them at Funerals.
yah the NES carts weren't the problem, it was the push down 72 pin connector in the system that made it never work, they would get dirty from people putting their spit all over it hence rotting the pins.

But the pins in the system usually just get worn out and need replacing, if you bought the new system redesign of the NES, you would notice it lasts a lot longer and starts up games a lot easier.

I had games that were almost untouched and were in their box, I bought a NES off of ebay with the redesign model and the games worked perfectly, but the older games that I blew in when I was younger, still had problems, but that is my fault cause my spit is all over it wrecking the pins
spider-prime is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2012, 07:01 PM   #41
Joe Redifer
Olé!

Why would dust inside the cart matter? Nothing needs to make a connection with anything inside of a cart. I have a few HuCards which are problematic. It's easier to get Genesis carts or NES carts working again. Carts are also stored in protective cases except for those made by Nintendo which came in shitty-ass cardboard boxes because the company was too poor/cheap to afford real boxes.

Spider, sand the pins and get the layer of gunk off and your carts should be OK. Do not be afraid of the sandpaper!
Old 03-11-2012, 08:38 PM   #42
Icarus4578
Deal with it.

Things wear down over time; that's entropy at work. At some point all of the old stuff will become obsolete, save for any restoration projects, emulation and whatnot.

My dream console would be a 2D-dedicated system with simple plug-&-play carts/cards but with enhanced power at a low price, like say $79. Games would go for between $15-20 and it would have its own dedicated magazine a-la Nintendo Power. It would have no multimedia functionality, no online play, no firmware updates, and no gimmicks. Yup, that's my ideal game console.
Old 03-11-2012, 08:51 PM   #43
Shipper/Reciever
Yes, I realize I spelled"Receiver" wrong

Quote:
My dream console would be a 2D-dedicated system with simple plug-&-play carts/cards but with enhanced power at a low price, like say $79. Games would go for between $15-20 and it would have its own dedicated magazine a-la Nintendo Power. It would have no multimedia functionality, no online play, no firmware updates, and no gimmicks. Yup, that's my ideal game console.
I like this idea.
Shipper/Reciever is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2012, 09:27 PM   #44
Icarus4578
Deal with it.

It could work. There's definitely an audience for it, even if comparatively smaller than the casual market as a whole. The price alone would be a huge draw, plus factor in high-quality original software and it could have a following similar to what both Nintendo and Sega enjoyed back in the day. Only problem is, in this day and age of high-tech multimedia functionality, fancy 3D worlds, DRM protection schemes, et al., nobody would dare such a novel old-school approach. Too bad.
Old 03-12-2012, 04:38 AM   #45
darren
... lol

Quote:
Things wear down over time; that's entropy at work. At some point all of the old stuff will become obsolete, save for any restoration projects, emulation and whatnot.

by a raspberry pi for $30 and write your own ..