The MagicBox Forums  

Go Back   The MagicBox Forums > General Topics > MagicBox Member Reviews

Old 03-17-2006, 01:00 PM   #1516
Joe Redifer
Olé!

Interesting piece. Game music kicks ass and believe it or not it comprises the majority of music I listen to when I choose to listen to music in places like my car or on my MiniDisc player before I sleep or whatever. Game music often influences how much I am able to get in to a game.

A few things, though:

It would be nice to not only read which system each selection is on (is Outrunners for arcade or Genesis? I prefer the arcade soundtrack myself). Also it would be nice to read your opinions on what makes each soundtrack great instead of just the title. 100KB isn't 1/10th of a meg unless you are referrring to a megabyte. 128KB is 1 game meg. A game like Super Castlevania IV has only 1024KB... 1 megabyte or 8 megabits. The game's soundtrack probably comprises around 1/9th of the game's entire code (or so). It gets tricky when talking about game megs.

Back when you were looking for web space I was going to offer to store the files for you, which is why I asked how much you wanted to upload. You seemed adamant on doing it yourself so I did not ask, but the offer still stands.
Joe Redifer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-17-2006, 02:07 PM   #1517
Icarus4578
Deal with it.

Quote:
Originally Posted by tpfkanep
I am not that big on game soundtracks. I must admit tho I am a sucker for ambient music and sound effects... when used wisely.
So I take it you enjoy the soundtracks to games like Resident Evil?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Joe Redifer
Interesting piece. Game music kicks ass and believe it or not it comprises the majority of music I listen to when I choose to listen to music in places like my car or on my MiniDisc player before I sleep or whatever. Game music often influences how much I am able to get into a game.
That's certainly true, and I agree about game music comprising the majority of your selection of music. There's so much great stuff out there.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Joe Redifer
A few things, though:

It would be nice to not only read which system each selection is on (is Outrunners for arcade or Genesis? I prefer the arcade soundtrack myself). Also it would be nice to read your opinions on what makes each soundtrack great instead of just the title. 100KB isn't 1/10th of a meg unless you are referrring to a megabyte. 128KB is 1 game meg. A game like Super Castlevania IV has only 1024KB... 1 megabyte or 8 megabits. The game's soundtrack probably comprises around 1/9th of the game's entire code (or so). It gets tricky when talking about game megs.

Back when you were looking for web space I was going to offer to store the files for you, which is why I asked how much you wanted to upload. You seemed adamant on doing it yourself so I did not ask, but the offer still stands.
Right. The reason I still refer to old games by MEGS rather than specifying 'megabytes' and/or 'megabits' is purely to evoke the sense that the past generation of gaming is still just as alive today as it was before. It's just a small quirk which I've clung tooth and nail to. As for storing the sound files, if you want to do it I'll send you all of the songs in .wma format (almost 125Mb total). Since I'm not going to sit on the PC for several hours uploading 50 songs I'll just send them on disc. I tried out several online webhosting sites only to be given the runaround. When I called iPowerWeb they explained that they didn't accept money orders, and I'm not using a credit card for this. So I went over to RegisterFly.com which Drunken Savior recommended to me and figured it out but found myself in a somewhat tight spot financially (they're asking around $145 for their annual services), and I'm still not sure how much I'm going to need for the rest of the month, so I'm going to take a wait-and-see approach to this.

Finally, I'll update the music page around the same time you do with links to various soundtracks available for purchase.
Old 03-17-2006, 02:21 PM   #1518
Joe Redifer
Olé!

Send 'em via e-mail and I'll upload them. 125MB is nothing unless you are still on dial up. You use AOL and each e-mail can contain around 16 megabytes. Just cue 'em up and walk away for a little while. I'll upload them and send you the URLs. Then you can do your thing.
Joe Redifer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-17-2006, 04:40 PM   #1519
Nindalf

Quote:
Originally Posted by Icarus4578
Uh-huh. Well I've got news for you: No Mario title managed to make it to the top 10. However, Zelda did.
Quote:
#10: Castlevania ~ Symphony of the Night

#9: Suikoden

#8: Dark Legend

#7: Ys Book I & II

#6: Ridge Racer Type 4

#5: Final Fantasy VI

#4: Alundra

#3: Chrono Trigger

#2: Super Castlevania IV

#1: NiGHTS ~ Into Dreams/Christmas NiGHTS
WHAT IS THIS TOMFOOLERY?
Nindalf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-17-2006, 05:54 PM   #1520
Lord_Yggdrassil
Lord Yggdrassil

That list must be RETRO games.
Lord_Yggdrassil is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-17-2006, 06:12 PM   #1521
Alexander
I speak with codes.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lord_Yggdrassil
That list must be RETRO games.
Older games had to rely on music to convey emotion and surroundings. Since graphic capabilities were limited, much more time was spent on story and sound rather than visuals. Today, however, graphic powerhouses sacrifice music and story because they believe that the game's world can be more accurately conveyed through realistic visual portrayals.

That, of course, is not true.
Alexander is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-17-2006, 06:40 PM   #1522
Icarus4578
Deal with it.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nindalf
WHAT IS THIS TOMFOOLERY?
You fell for it!
Old 03-18-2006, 05:59 AM   #1523
Paper exe
Pwnd

I find it weird that you choose Megaman 8 over 2. As much as I am a Megaman fan I still think that 8 have the weakest soundtrack.
Paper exe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-18-2006, 11:13 AM   #1524
Icarus4578
Deal with it.

I have to post the special again in two sections. This time you can download all the music (thanks to Joe lending me a hand).
--------------------------------------------------------------------
The Top 50 Game Soundtracks of All Time

I have enjoyed game music since the days of the NES and SMS. Humble though they may be, a large amount of the enjoyment and atmosphere present in many of yesteryears' classics can be attributed to the music. That's because music is the universal language, one which anybody can relate to and understand. In fact, long after a game's visuals and gameplay have had their full effect and sort of wither, the music, considering it's good, remains enjoyable forever. There are those games which aren't incredibly fun to play ...except that their soundtracks are so good, you can't help but want to stick it out. Have you ever played Sonic 3D Blast? Let me tell you, that was a serious letdown. But I'll always remember its soundtrack.

Sega, Capcom, Konami, Nintendo, Atlus, et al. are all notable for hiring exemplary musicians who have increased the enjoyment of countless titles and helped, in no small way, to transform certain games into series of legendary proportions. Would people still be talking about what a great game Chrono Trigger was if it had a soundtrack as uneventful as Light Fantasy? Not likely. How many people can hum the tunes to games like Super Mario Brothers and The Legend of Zelda? Millions. What did people do after they had played Symphony of the Night? Bought the soundtrack. In fact, there are those who purchased the soundtrack before they even had the game because the Castlevania series has a long tradition of great soundtracks, one of its most recognizable traits.

That all being said, although there have been vast improvements in audio quality throughout the years, the music itself hasn't necessarily improved or remained consistently well-composed. I feel that this is largely due to the fact that it's easier than ever before to work out a composition on a synth/sequencer and then translate it to the game. It doesn't require the countless hours of programming individual notes into the game's code, often restricted to a considerably small fraction of the game's ROM. Consider Super Castlevania IV - it's a mere 8-MEGS. How much of that space did the programmers need to fully flesh out the computer AI, graphics, special effects, controls, etc.? Most of it. And the composer is supposed to arrange entire pieces, tell the SNES' sound board which sounds to use, when to play each note and for how long to sustain, where to add effects like vibrato and such, all within a file size of probably less than 100KB, or 1/10th of a MEG. How many of today's video game composers do you think could do that?

Nevertheless, with the dawning of the CD era we were treated to soundtracks which couldn't be accomplished on cartridge-based consoles. For once, game musicians were largely unrestricted and, in an almost odd sense, given more storage space to work with than the programmers (unless the game utilized a lot of FMV). And they took full advantage, too. Whether it was epic symphonic scores for games like Shining Force CD or rocking out like some supreme metal band a-la Lords of Thunder, appreciative gamers like myself were being spoiled rotten and those who previously didn't think much of game music became converts overnight. Those who dismiss game music as being "random noise" have never heard Suikoden's bliss-inducing soundtrack. They cannot comprehend the greatness of Mega Man 2's aural majesty, even while they're tapping their feet along with Wood Man's stage music. A studious musician should readily understand the craftsmanship and pedagogical importance which these and other works have to offer.

The purpose of this feature is not to do an expos? on the history of game music but rather to present to you what I personally feel are the 50 greatest game soundtracks of all time -- up to the present, of course. Please note that this is not a boring list of the most recogizable soundtracks, just my personal favorites. Rest assured that I've heard countless game soundtracks across the spectrum of console history and have taken into consideration hundreds upon hundreds of different soundtracks for this list. If a soundtrack only has one or two outstanding pieces, e.g. Valis III, it doesn't stand much of a chance.
-------------------------------------------------------------
#50: Outrunners
Soundtrack available ~ None currently available.

#49: Night Warriors
Soundtrack available ~ Out of print, but there is one for Vampire Hunter. Vampire ~ The Night Warriors soundtrack is sometimes seen on eBay.

#48: Strider
Soundtrack available ~ Not that I'm aware of. The Sega Genesis version arguably has better music than the original arcade. If you purchase the Strider 2 Soundtrack it supposedly comes with the original as well.

#47: Final Fight CD
Soundtrack available ~ Yes, if you purchase the Sega CD version which had a rearranged soundtrack courtesy of T's Music. Awhile ago, Capcom released a CD titled Street Fighter II ~ G.S.M. Capcom 4 ALFH LYRA which contained an arranged medley of Final Fight music.

#46: Ys III
Soundtrack available ~ Yes, if you purchase the TurboGrafx CD version. There is a wide assortment of various Ys soundtracks and arranged versions available.

#45: Tokimeki Memorial
Soundtrack available ~ Yes, it is a two-disc set which is now out of print but it appears on eBay frequently. There is also a wide assortment of arranged, piano, and vocal TM albums.

#44: Dragon Quest IV
Soundtrack available ~ Yes, it can be found within Dragon Quest Game Music Super Collection Vol. 1. You can also check www.CDJapan.co.jp for cheaper prices.

#43: Rage Racer
Soundtrack available ~ There was but it's out of print. You can always purchase the PlayStation game and listen to the music from the disc.

#42: Shining Force CD
Soundtrack available ~ Yes, just purchase the game and you own the soundtrack.

#41: The Legend of Zelda ~ A Link to the Past
Soundtrack available ~ Not that I'm aware of. .SPC files have become a popular way of listening to SNES soundtracks.

#40: Dark Wizard
Soundtrack available ~ Yes, simply purchase the actual game.

#39: Daytona USA
Soundtrack available ~ Yes, purchase the game. There is a soundtrack floating around for Daytona USA ~ Circuit Edition, the arranged re-release of the original, though it's rather scarce ...and stupid because if you purchase the game you'll own the soundtrack anyway.

#38: Street Fighter EX+@
Soundtrack available ~ Not sure, but SFEX2 is available in both original and arranged versions.

#37: Albert Odyssey
Soundtrack available ~ Yes, as you can see here. However, it may be hard to come across.

#36: Actraiser
Soundtrack available ~ There was but not anymore. Also, for a time there was the Actraiser Symphonic Suite available.

#35: Salamander II
Soundtrack available ~ Yes, but it's out of print.

#34: Lunacy
Soundtrack available ~ Not that I'm aware of.

#33: Arcana
Soundtrack available ~ I've never seen a soundtrack available for this.

#32: Breath of Fire
Soundtrack available ~ There might have been; Capcom released soundtracks for the other BoF titles, so I don't see why not.

#31: Secret of Mana
Soundtrack available ~ It's a Square game. Of course there is, though I think it's out of print. You can check GameMusic.com's Seiken Densetsu page to see if Square ever decides to release it again. Also, the original soundtrack can occasionally be found through eBay and other online stores.

#30: Shining Wisdom
Soundtrack available ~ I'm almost certain there was one but maybe not. There have been various Shining Force soundtracks available as you can see here.

#29: Lunar 2 ~ Eternal Blue
Soundtrack available ~ Although you can find some Lunar soundtracks available, I've never seen the full soundtrack available, even though there was one called Lunar 2 ~ Eternal Blue "Complete" Soundtrack, it is not the complete soundtrack. Also worth noting is that with the Lunar 2 OST you don't get the actual original version nor the somewhat arranged Satrun/PlayStation versions but rather different arrangements altogether. I found the original music to the Sega CD version by downloading it many years ago.

#28: Streets of Rage 2
Soundtrack available ~ There used to be but not anymore.

#27: Dragon Slayer ~ The Legend of Heroes II
Soundtrack available ~ Yes, if you purchase the TurboGrafx CD game. It's worth noting that there was a Perfect Selection available for the original (and perhaps this one as well) which had different versions of most of the music except for the boss theme. Here are some of the Legend of Heroes soundtracks available.

#26: Final Fantasy VII
Soundtrack available ~ ...Do I even need to answer this?

Last edited by Icarus4578; 03-18-2006 at 11:26 AM.
Icarus4578 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-18-2006, 11:14 AM   #1525
Icarus4578
Deal with it.

#25: Persona 2 ~ Innocent Sin
Soundtrack available ~ Yes, it's rather easy to obtain.

#24: Mega Man 2
Soundtrack available ~ No.

#23: Shinobi III
Soundtrack available ~ I've never seen one.

#22: Street Fighter Alpha
Soundtrack available ~ Yes, you can purchase either the Saturn or PlayStation version and listen via your system/CD player.

#21: Soul Blade
Soundtrack available ~ Yes, there were several soundtracks available.

#20: Final Fantasy IV
Soundtrack available ~ How about these?

#19: Sega Rally Championship
Soundtrack available ~ Probably was. You can simply purchase the Sega Saturn game and listen to it as a CD.

#18: Phantasy Star II
Soundtrack available ~ Yes, Sega released Phantasy Star Sound Collection I awhile ago and it contained all the music from Phantasy Star I, II, and III. However, good luck finding it.

#17: Axelay
Soundtrack available ~ There was but it's out of print.

#16: Mega Man 8
Soundtrack available ~ I'm not sure.

#15: Dragon Slayer ~ The Legend of Heroes
Soundtrack available ~ Yes, scroll up to Dragon Slayer ~ The Legend of Heroes II.

#14: Lords of Thunder
Soundtrack available ~ I don't know but if you purchase either the Sega CD or Turbo CD version....

#13: Tekken 2
Soundtrack available ~ Yes, but it's getting harder to come by. You can look here to find various Tekken soundtracks.

#12: Wild ARMs
Soundtrack available ~ Yes, and there's one available for Alter Code F, the remake of the original PS game. However, I feel the original to be truly superior.

#11: Persona Revelations
Soundtrack available ~ Yes, though it is becoming more obscure.

#10: Castlevania ~ Symphony of the Night
Soundtrack available ~ This soundtrack will be available for the rest of the century.

#9: Suikoden
Soundtrack available ~ Yes, a ton of 'em. Check here. The original Genso Suikoden still has the best soundtrack of the series by far.

#8: Dark Legend
Soundtrack available ~ No, unfortunately, and Data East is R.I.P. But if you purchase the Saturn game you can listen to all of the music. Also, they released Suikoenbu: Fuuun Saiki, A.K.A. Dark Legend 2, as an import Saturn title and it had a couple of arranged tracks and some new ones as well.

#7: Ys Book I & II
Soundtrack available ~ There certainly is.

#6: Ridge Racer Type 4
Soundtrack available ~ Yes, it's everywhere.

#5: Final Fantasy VI
Soundtrack available ~ So how are you doing today?

#4: Alundra
Soundtrack available ~ Yes, there was but not anymore.

#3: Chrono Trigger
Soundtrack available ~ You want this version, not that version.

#2: Super Castlevania IV
Soundtrack available ~ Konami recently reissued this as Dracula Best 2 and it even comes with the soundtrack for the GameBoy's Castlevania Adventure.

#1: NiGHTS ~ Into Dreams/Christmas NiGHTS
Soundtrack available ~ Yes. However, they have yet to release a full soundtrack because each stage has four different arrangements for every section of each song. Also, the boss clear song isn't available on any of the soundtracks (I had to make my own version with a lot of hard work). Your best bet is to own the original game and then access the music using Christmas NiGHTS and the discs themselves.

Last edited by Icarus4578; 03-18-2006 at 11:23 AM.
Icarus4578 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-18-2006, 04:16 PM   #1526
Alexander
I speak with codes.

Does the music get better in Nights than the one you posted? It sounds like generic "snow" music to me... I don't mean any offense, but I feel like I've heard it a hundred times even though this is my first time listening to it. The piano-y part is nice though. It feels very Ragnarok Online. That game has some great music. Check it out.

Also, I'm surprised Dragon Quest V or VI didn't make the list. Brilliant soundtracks, both of them. I prefer them over IV, but IV is still quite good. Tekken 2 is pretty weak in my opinion. I think Soul Blade is justified. I would also place PS II around #18.

Like Paper, I'm wondering why Megaman 8 is even on the list. Here, these are some things you need to take into consideration.

MegamanVII~Cloud Man.

MegamanX~Highway,
Spark Mandrill and Storm Eagle.

Last edited by Xander; 03-18-2006 at 04:33 PM.
Old 03-18-2006, 04:21 PM   #1527
Nindalf

Yeah, if that really is the best video game music has to offer, it just confirms my theory that video game music = crap.

Just tiituutiituu sounds that might sound fun while playing, but nothing worth paying for or wasting time to listen to if you're not playing a game.
Nindalf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-18-2006, 04:46 PM   #1528
Alexander
I speak with codes.

If you didn't catch my earlier edit, be sure to look at that. And where's the Mother music? Let me help you out:
Overworld 2
Overworld 3
Fourside!
Battling Hippies
Sound Stones (Short, but very nice)
Venus's Performace

I would put the Mother series in the top 20, simply because of how many different styles of music they incorporate into a single game. And since the story somewhat revolves around music, it comes as no surprise that the team would spend a lot of time on just that.

Whoops. Doesn't allow it. Forget it.

Last edited by Xander; 03-22-2006 at 09:12 PM.
Old 03-18-2006, 11:18 PM   #1529
Icarus4578
Deal with it.

Xander, did you read this part?

Quote:
...what I personally feel are the 50 greatest game soundtracks of all time...
I didn't forget about the other Mega Man games. I simply don't enjoy the others' soundtracks as much as 8 and 2. I do like some of their soundtracks, like 3.

Nindalf, I bet you wouldn't be saying that if there was a game with a Pink Floyd soundtrack. But then there are those game soundtracks which I know you just adore, like Bruce Lee: Quest of the Dragon.
Old 03-19-2006, 12:51 AM   #1530
Alexander
I speak with codes.

It wasn't that I was questioning your opinion, I just didn't know if you'd heard the songs or not.