The MagicBox Forums  

Go Back   The MagicBox Forums > Console Specifics > Microsoft Discussion

Old 06-27-2006, 12:36 AM   #1
Sinful Sam
gnarf! gnarf!

No plans for 360 price drop

Quote:
John Porcaro, group manager of PR and communications for Microsoft US, has reacted to persistent rumours by reiterating that the company has no current plans to cut the price of the Xbox 360.

In a post on his blog, Porcaro wrote: "As you?re all aware, there have been rumors of a price drop for the Xbox 360 coming along later this year. The official word from folks in the know is that there are currently no plans for a price drop this fall."

"If you?ve been holding off picking one up because you think they?ll be cheaper in the future, or they?ve been hard to find, or because you?re too busy catching up on past episodes of Lost, wait no longer," he added, before highlighting the Xbox 360's features and the range of games available for the console.

Porcaro also took a potshot at the PlayStation 3, which is due to launch in the US on November 17th priced at US$499 / US$599. "Just think? This holiday as some people go broke because they?re forced to buy movie technology with their game console, you?ll be choosing from 160 games, including Gears of War, Madden 07, Splinter Cell, Forza 2, and lots more."

Not forgetting Mass Effect, Halo 3 and Grand Theft Auto "later on", Porcaro added.

His comments echo those made to GamesIndustry.biz earlier this year by Xbox Europe boss Chris Lewis, who said that the PS3's price point "forces the consumer down a choice path in a way that I'm surprised to see."

He said Sony's decision had removed any pressure on Microsoft to cut the cost of the Xbox 360 by year-end, stating: "We're confident that we are at the right price at the right time and will remain so."
http://www.gamesindustry.biz/content_page.php?aid=17932

STEAM: Sinfulsam
PSN: Sinfulsam
Live Gamertag: Sinful Sam
3DS Code: 1461-6914-4192 (PM me your code if you add me)
Sinful Sam is offline   Reply With Quote
Connect With Facebook to "Like" This Thread

Old 06-27-2006, 04:03 AM   #2
phknrocket1k

With the PS3 price, there is no reason to.
phknrocket1k is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-27-2006, 05:29 AM   #3
TheHardware
The Moment..

Quote:
Originally Posted by phknrocket1k
With the PS3 price, there is no reason to.
dumbest thing ive heard, good thing you dont run M$. many people think that xbox and ps3 are too expensive....saving $400 and expecting a price drop. is the plan of most.....if the xbox doesnt drop price and you ahve 400 in your hand and the ps3 look bananas.....you may just bite the bullet and throw 200 to get it..not likely but i guarantee you a small amount of ppl will, and can M$ really afford to lose any ground to sony.....I just sold my ps3 and quit FFXI, major reason.....I WONT PLAY XBOX OR FF WHEN THE PS3 HITS...im sure im not the only person who feels like this
Old 06-27-2006, 11:13 AM   #4
shinobi00
Hyper Ninja 100%

Of course they're saying theres not going to be a price drop. People will stop buying systems right now.
shinobi00 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-27-2006, 11:47 AM   #5
DBJAY

Exactly. They know the summer is a slow season for gaming while people wait for the major releases in the fall.

There might not be a price drop (MS would be insane not to take advantage though imo), but new pack in games are a lock most likely. In the past, they did combos with SegaGT/JSRF and StarWars/Tetris. Hopefully if they do a new combo pack, they choose better games this time around.
DBJAY is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-27-2006, 11:48 AM   #6
Mistatee
Linguistic Massacre

But they better drop it when Ps3 comes out.
Or better yet, when GTA comes out, so people buy a 360 + GTA a month before Ps3 arrives...
Old 06-27-2006, 11:58 AM   #7
BlindMaphisto
DANGER-HUMAN

If you're allready loosing money on your hardware and the main competition is allready going to be at LEAST 100 bucks cheaper than your most expensive model I can't help but wonder if it's even worth them bothering to drop the price.
"This seems like a good time for a drink, and a cold calculated speech with sinister overtones. A speech about politics, about order, brotherhood, power. But speeches are for campaigning. Now is the time for action."
BlindMaphisto is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-27-2006, 01:05 PM   #8
Seraph
>:3

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheHardware
dumbest thing ive heard, good thing you dont run M$.
Actually what he said sounded pretty smart to me. When your competition is 50% more expensive than you are, it starts to make your product look really appealing.

Your whole reason about the price drop is so that people waiting for that drop it will get snagged and buy one. But when in history has microsoft ever dropped its prices for consumer benefit? Windows XP is still $100 last time i checked, the price it launched at. MS dosent lower prices unless they have to, and with a $600 competition, they dont have to do nothin.
Seraph is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-28-2006, 02:54 AM   #9
TheHardware
The Moment..

[quote=seraph830]Actually what he said sounded pretty smart to me. [d/QUOTE]

im not surprise
Old 06-28-2006, 04:50 AM   #10
phknrocket1k

Quote:
dumbest thing ive heard, good thing you dont run M$. many people think that xbox and ps3 are too expensive....saving $400 and expecting a price drop. is the plan of most.....if the xbox doesnt drop price and you ahve 400 in your hand and the ps3 look bananas.....you may just bite the bullet and throw 200 to get it..not likely but i guarantee you a small amount of ppl will, and can M$ really afford to lose any ground to sony.....I just sold my ps3 and quit FFXI, major reason.....I WONT PLAY XBOX OR FF WHEN THE PS3 HITS...im sure im not the only person who feels like this

A price drop in the face of a more expensive console would show weakness.
phknrocket1k is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-28-2006, 05:06 AM   #11
Kiuju2k
Oh no!

Yeah I wouldn't drop the price either. You see the price of the ps3(avatar) ? I wouldn't drop the price either until they did.
Kiuju2k is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-28-2006, 08:19 AM   #12
Seraph
>:3

Quote:
im not surprise
considering everyone whos commented in this thread agree's with the notion "a price drop would be stupid", I would say were on to something.

thanks for insulting my inteligence based off an opinion though.
Seraph is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-28-2006, 01:03 PM   #13
shinobi00
Hyper Ninja 100%

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mistatee
But they better drop it when Ps3 comes out.
Or better yet, when GTA comes out, so people buy a 360 + GTA a month before Ps3 arrives...
This is a major misconception. GTA isn't coming out until the fall 2007. It'll be simultaneously released on both platforms.
shinobi00 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-28-2006, 04:51 PM   #14
Sinful Sam
gnarf! gnarf!

Well if they don't bring a price drop then they should make a good bundle out this fall.

STEAM: Sinfulsam
PSN: Sinfulsam
Live Gamertag: Sinful Sam
3DS Code: 1461-6914-4192 (PM me your code if you add me)
Sinful Sam is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-28-2006, 06:18 PM   #15
Diavle

If they don't do a price drop I think there's a higher chance of people going for the Wiinus.
Diavle is offline   Reply With Quote