The MagicBox Forums  

Go Back   The MagicBox Forums > General Topics > General Gaming Discussion

Old 04-12-2011, 02:26 PM   #1
Nem
Smash bro!

Streets of Rage on SEGA here!

Quote:
Fan-Made Streets Of Rage Remake Pulled After Request From Sega

Streets of Rage Remake, the exhaustive, fan-made homage to the classic Sega Genesis beat 'em up series, looks to have finally gotten the attention of Sega. The creators of that freely distributed Streets of Rage title have pulled the game after a request from Sega.

Released last week after some eight years in development, creators Bombergames pulled previously posted links to downloads for Streets of Rage Remake, asking forum members not to redistribute the game. Streets of Rage Remake is available for Windows PCs.

"SEGA have contacted regarding the download hosted on this site," writes a Bombergames forum moderator. "While this issue is being resolved, please do not upload the game for others to download. Any links posted on this site will be removed. Thank you."

Forum moderators have since locked a thread discussing the availability of Streets of Rage Remake.

The Streets of Rage Remake web site says its creators had informed Sega of the project during development via "a formal letter," but recent press of the 16-bit beat 'em up may have gotten Bombergames noticed.

Sega is still in the business of selling versions of Streets of Rage games through various means, including Steam, Wii Virtual Console and disc-based compilations for consoles.

Kotaku contacted Sega for details on its request to Bombergames, but the company has not yet officially responded.

Update: Sega Europe reps responded with the following statement: "SEGA is committed to supporting any fans that take an interest in our games, and where possible we do so by involving them in Beta tests and other development, marketing or research opportunities. However we need to protect our intellectual property rights and this may result in us requesting that our fans remove online imagery, videos or games in some instances."
Thats from Kotaku.

I have the game and im sure anyone can still get it.

The game is bloody awesome (it has something like 80 levels, 20 playable characters or more, 50 something different enemies, a storyline and several custom options like using a gamepad to play and a level editor - in short its a fans dream). I think SEGA might've pulled it cause it contained the original SoR levels... but they were more than that, they had their own twist and were made better. But in short they did it cause this game was several times better and more polished than anything SEGA has put out.

I was once a die-hard SEGA fan... today i finally reached the point where i wish SEGA bankrupts and lets the legacy live on instead of the retardness of a company that has lost its way.

With that said im sure they are gonna pull out the awesome Sonic 2 remake aswell (Sonic remix).

Old 04-12-2011, 03:37 PM   #2
loempiavreter
Belt Scroll Game Supremacy

They pulled it off supposedly because they had a paypal donation button, SEGA interpreted that as if they where making money off the fangame.

It's a fangame in development for what 8 years? Ofcourse it's polished.
I'm not to keen on fangames and mods myself, fans never know what's good for the series anyway. It's an amazing fangame (with 8 years of finetuning it should be) i'll give you that, but I can't shake off this fanfiction feel, I'd rather have seen this team develop their own title.

They also forgot the dwarf with the rocketlauncher and the top hat boss from the one exclusive to the Mastersystem version of the first game. Only Gamegear boss
Old 04-12-2011, 05:30 PM   #3
Joe Redifer
Olé!

I am a Streets of Rage fan and Streets of Rage Remix sounds like a nightmare to me. I don't want 80 levels and thousands of characters in a game. I am happy with a straightforward beat 'em up that knows when to end. The game itself used existing artwork from the Streets of Rage games. They should have redrawn everything from scratch. I am not a fan of sprite hacks.
Joe Redifer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-2011, 07:47 PM   #4
Zack

yea i have no interest in this and streets of rage 2 is probably my fav genesis game
Zack is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-13-2011, 01:15 AM   #5
Nem
Smash bro!

Silly people that havent played the game... The game is divided into areas/chapters. You can choose one of 4 chapters at the start wich correspond to the 3 first games.

Its like they spread out SoR1, with 2 and with 3 and with 4-5 etc that were created by them. Youre not supposed to play it all at once, you can choose the order in wich you clear these chapters. Really, you need to try it out to find out how good it is.

Pay Pal really isnt an excuse. I'm sure it was there years before the game was released. Every one of these development teams has it. The reason SEGA cared is cause the game is so great it got pretty good press and made them look like crap(wich they are at this point). My only perk with it is i actually wished that SEGA had developed and released the game themselves so i could play it on my TV/console instead of my monitor.
Old 04-13-2011, 01:47 AM   #6
Joe Redifer
Olé!

I would only support it if it were an actual Genesis release. If it requires any other system, the graphics need to be upgraded accordingly.
Joe Redifer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-13-2011, 04:07 AM   #7
Nem
Smash bro!

It does have a graphical mode that smoothens the image. About the same thing SEGA did with that mega drive collection for the new consoles.

Its not HD though, if its what you mean.

Really Joe, you should give it a try. The number of customization options and quality of the game is very surprising.
Old 04-13-2011, 07:57 AM   #8
Kiuju2k
Oh no!

I heard that Sega never gave them go ahead in the first place. It's no surprise really if you ask me. When does Sega ever listen to their fans.

Quote:
Originally Posted by loempivator
I'm not to keen on fangames and mods myself, fans never know what's good for the series anyway. It's an amazing fangame (with 8 years of finetuning it should be) i'll give you that, but I can't shake off this fanfiction feel, I'd rather have seen this team develop their own title.
I half agree/disagree. Fans do know what is good for almost any series especially the older fans. The problems start when they get carried away and don't know when to stop (ie Mugen hacks, SFR, *troll*melty blood *troll*)

Honestly it's the younger guys that don't know what they are talking about and make the rest of any given community look like retards.

Zechin
Kiuju2k is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-13-2011, 09:50 AM   #9
Soba
:D

I like how the game was in development for 8 years, and Sega waits until it's done to fire a C&D at 'em. Dick move, Sega!

I thankfully downloaded it before they took it down.
Old 04-13-2011, 01:37 PM   #10
Badrats Studio
Hate it or Love it ヽ(•̀ω•́ )ゝ✧

Location: Medan, Sumatera Utara, Republic Indonesia, South-East Asia
If this not move Sega to make a true sequel, I don't know what can move them more.

Just don't let it be like Altered Beast sequels. Ugh ... The horrors ...
Currently Playing : Final Fantasy IX [PS1] - /random shit [PS3]
Badrats Studio is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-13-2011, 05:49 PM   #11
Sinful Sam
gnarf! gnarf!

It sounds fun. It does suck how Sega pulled the plug on this game that was in development for so long. I'm sure you can maybe find it on torrents.

STEAM: Sinfulsam
PSN: Sinfulsam
Live Gamertag: Sinful Sam
3DS Code: 1461-6914-4192 (PM me your code if you add me)
Sinful Sam is offline   Reply With Quote