The MagicBox Forums  

Go Back   The MagicBox Forums > General Topics > Community Board

Old 08-15-2004, 11:38 AM   #106
Mistatee
Linguistic Massacre

i watched the first 18 episodes (2 dvds) of Berserk the first day i owned it. Watched the lat 9 or so the next day.

If Raxeaphon is as good as Decado says (as he is a respectable member of this community) i will have to check it out. I had only strayed away from it becuase every says its a NGE clone, and follows the same story.
Old 08-15-2004, 01:02 PM   #107
Meshugana
Daddy Fat Sacks

berserk! *cries*.....i think theres only 24 episodes, fro the looks of it berserk is ver unattractive and a really turned me off to it, but its fucking sweet, i almost cried at the end because of how cool it was
Old 08-15-2004, 01:05 PM   #108
Renegade X
Return of the Renegade

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mistatee
i watched the first 18 episodes (2 dvds) of Berserk the first day i owned it. Watched the lat 9 or so the next day.

If Raxeaphon is as good as Decado says (as he is a respectable member of this community) i will have to check it out. I had only strayed away from it becuase every says its a NGE clone, and follows the same story.

RahXephon is not a NGE clone... for one... the main character actually evolves from where he started unlike Shinji who... just screamed and sighed a lot. Though there is some similarities in the end story, it's played out very very differently and you don't feel as jaded as you do once you finish it. Defineately a must for anybody who liked NGE, but it doesn't lay it on as heavily as NGE does in the religion and red harrings part.

As for animes I think once I actually was able to watch RahXephon, Trigun, and Martian Successor Nadesco all in one day, that included the movies for Nadesco and RahXephon. Of course I skipped the openings, closings and previews so... that shaved off a good chunk of time.

Currently PLAYING: Oblivion(PC), Rise of Legends Demo (PC), Commandos 2 (PC)

Just Finished: Kingdom Hearts 2 (PS2), Castlevania Symphony of the Night (PSOne)
Renegade X is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-15-2004, 05:21 PM   #109
Escaflowne2001
... ... ... ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Meshugana
but its fucking sweet, i almost cried at the end because of how cool it was
It'll be even cooler if there was an ending.
Escaflowne2001 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-15-2004, 05:48 PM   #110
Dr. Bombay
ificouldjustbemorehuman

Azumanga Daioh.

I love anything that can make me laugh, and Azumanga Daioh makes me laugh about every 2 minutes.
~And The Lies There, The Scent Of It, Just Too Much~

~So Should You~
~Sow It Once and Make It Grow, The Sweet Clematis~
~Let It Flower, and Paint it All Of The Colors Old~
Instantly Things Fall and Fade, Return to Silence~
~Why Oh Why, Why Does It All Feel So Sorrowful?~
~Dreams Of What Is Real~
Dr. Bombay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-15-2004, 05:52 PM   #111
gabriel
infinity in finity

Anime is one of those things that's pretty cool, but has such a dreadful fan-base, that I can't really get into it/take it seriously.

The only series I've seen are Trigun, and Cowboy Bebop, both of which were incredible (especially the ending of Bebop). I've also seen, and enjoyed, the first dozen or so episodes of Naruto.

Is there anything out there that matches the calibre of Trigun/Cowboy Bebop?
Old 08-15-2004, 08:03 PM   #112
Sinful Sam
gnarf! gnarf!

I wasn't big on Trigon. It has it's moments but I found too much of a joke.

I want to check out the RahXephon moive. Has anyone seen it yet?

STEAM: Sinfulsam
PSN: Sinfulsam
Live Gamertag: Sinful Sam
3DS Code: 1461-6914-4192 (PM me your code if you add me)
Sinful Sam is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-15-2004, 08:11 PM   #113
Renegade X
Return of the Renegade

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sinful Sam
I wasn't big on Trigon. It has it's moments but I found too much of a joke.

I want to check out the RahXephon moive. Has anyone seen it yet?
Seen it, and I like some of the changes it made from the orginal series. Thing is about... 80 percent of the movie is stock footage from the TV series... but I think it's worth it and if you don't really wanna spend over a hundred dollars for the 7 DVDs of the series, it sums things up perfectly.

Just Finished: Kingdom Hearts 2 (PS2), Castlevania Symphony of the Night (PSOne)
Old 08-15-2004, 08:33 PM   #114
Sinful Sam
gnarf! gnarf!

Wow, 80 percent that kind of sucks. Well I already own the 7 dvds. Is it still worth watching?

STEAM: Sinfulsam
PSN: Sinfulsam
Live Gamertag: Sinful Sam
3DS Code: 1461-6914-4192 (PM me your code if you add me)
Sinful Sam is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-15-2004, 08:34 PM   #115
Dr. Bombay
ificouldjustbemorehuman

But the series is so good. It'd be a shame to simply skip to the end and miss out on all the wonderful scenes in the movie.
~And The Lies There, The Scent Of It, Just Too Much~

~So Should You~
~Sow It Once and Make It Grow, The Sweet Clematis~
~Let It Flower, and Paint it All Of The Colors Old~
Instantly Things Fall and Fade, Return to Silence~
~Why Oh Why, Why Does It All Feel So Sorrowful?~
~Dreams Of What Is Real~
Dr. Bombay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-15-2004, 08:40 PM   #116
burpingcat
Really Enjoys The Magic Box

Hellsing's (quite literal) shortcoming is that it's too short. 13 episodes was not near enough episodes to even get Hellsing's story out of the door. But Hellsing had many awesome moments where all of it's shining elements came together beautifully. The directing, the visual style, the characters, and especially the music (one of my favorite soundtracks) REALLY kicked ass. It all had an overall cool mood...Alucard's attitude and mannerisms were the best. It's a fricken shame that the anime was cut short. I guess the truly good shows have to make room for the same old recycled 100+ episode cash-cow animes......*glares at Naruto*
burpingcat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-15-2004, 09:36 PM   #117
Renegade X
Return of the Renegade

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sinful Sam
Wow, 80 percent that kind of sucks. Well I already own the 7 dvds. Is it still worth watching?

I'm biased, I loved RahXephon, so I'm gonna say it's worth it because you can kinda put some of the new content into the series and understand the characters a little bit more. I say it's worth the time, but I don't know about the money... maybe if you can find a place that rents anime DVDs near you, I'd check it out threw that first. But if your a fan, don't hesistate to pick it up.

Old 08-15-2004, 09:43 PM   #118
naruto_sensei
O N E P I E C E

Quote:
Originally Posted by burpingcat
Hellsing's (quite literal) shortcoming is that it's too short. 13 episodes was not near enough episodes to even get Hellsing's story out of the door. But Hellsing had many awesome moments where all of it's shining elements came together beautifully. The directing, the visual style, the characters, and especially the music (one of my favorite soundtracks) REALLY kicked ass. It all had an overall cool mood...Alucard's attitude and mannerisms were the best. It's a fricken shame that the anime was cut short. I guess the truly good shows have to make room for the same old recycled 100+ episode cash-cow animes......*glares at Naruto*
hellsing was short cause the manga was short and actually the last arc wasn't even in the manga. I wish people would stop praising hellsing, it really wasn't that great...
as for naruto its better than hellsing
naruto_sensei is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-15-2004, 10:09 PM   #119
DeathStroke
Lone Wolf

I'd say the RahXephon movie is worth it simply if you want to see more development of Haruka/Ayato's relationship. That's really the only aspect explored with some brief asides here and there. The biggest thing is that they show Haruka and Ayato as they were in Tokyo. The movie presents an alternate ending to the series which I don't think is as good as the ending to the actual series as well as adds a few elements of its own that I didn't really like. They pretty much redo the series in places. That last scene with Haruka and Ayato (when the credits are done rolling) was just too good. And while I had spotted it coming 20 episodes away, it did give some insight into the painting that Ayato is always drawing. Comparatively speaking, the ending to the RahXephon movie doesn't really give us anything to ponder and it feels too cliche.

Quote:
Originally Posted by gabriel
Anime is one of those things that's pretty cool, but has such a dreadful fan-base, that I can't really get into it/take it seriously.

The only series I've seen are Trigun, and Cowboy Bebop, both of which were incredible (especially the ending of Bebop). I've also seen, and enjoyed, the first dozen or so episodes of Naruto.

Is there anything out there that matches the calibre of Trigun/Cowboy Bebop?
Offhand, I'd say Berserk and RahXephon. If you don't mind a 13 episode series, Generator Gawl is pretty good too.
Old 08-16-2004, 12:20 AM   #120
burpingcat
Really Enjoys The Magic Box

Quote:
Originally Posted by naruto_sensei
hellsing was short cause the manga was short and actually the last arc wasn't even in the manga. I wish people would stop praising hellsing, it really wasn't that great...
as for naruto its better than hellsing

the thing is, the last arc didn't even fit into the storyline they were building up with the rest of the anime. so i'm not giving any praise to its storyline...but i think its other elements deserve a lot of praise.

....and screw naruto .
burpingcat is offline   Reply With Quote