The MagicBox Forums  

Go Back   The MagicBox Forums > General Topics > Community Board

Reply
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 10-18-2004, 03:28 PM   #151
bemanisuperstar
Banned
 
bemanisuperstar's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2004
Location: In HP Lovecraft's world
Posts: 2,461
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dr. Bombay
Then Kenshin OAV's don't make any sense! They were made purely due to the fanaticism over the Cowboy Bebop Ending and totally ruin the semi-godly nature of Kenshin's skills. Do you know how retarded it is to have someone battle in a 170 degree battlefield, only to have them die of TB 30 years later?

People like the Kenshin OAV's because of the well animated but ultimately meaningless death it carries. It's terrible and it should be stricken from the record.
Umm NO

The Final OAV was the demand to have the Jinchuu arc animated.

Trust and Betrayal was made to Explain Kenshin's background in the Revolution which was also part of the JInchuu arc.

Get your history right.
bemanisuperstar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-18-2004, 03:34 PM   #152
Mainstreme Fan
Banned
 
Mainstreme Fan's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2004
Posts: 677
Quote:
Originally Posted by Renegade X
I have to agree, there just wasn't enough interesting between big events content that kept the TV series as good as the OVAs... in fact, if you buy the box set of the OVAs, you can get the entire premise of the TV series in the last 2 episodes of the OVA and still fell very statisfied.

As for Last Exile, the next DVD can not come out soon enough for me.


How can you say the OVA is better then the TV when the OVA was nothing like the manga? Atleast the TV series keept most of the stuff in the manga intact. And the whole drag on excues is getting real old.
Mainstreme Fan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-18-2004, 06:07 PM   #153
Robo Halloween
Banned
 
Robo Halloween's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2002
Location: Guaynabo, Puerto Rico
Posts: 1,736
Robo's collection:
  • Berserk: Box of War
  • Fatal Fury: The Box Set
  • The Complete Bastard!!
  • Kousetsu Hyaku Monogatari: Complete Box Set
Robo Halloween is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-18-2004, 06:40 PM   #154
Renegade X
Return of the Renegade
 
Renegade X's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2002
Posts: 3,565
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mainstreme Fan
How can you say the OVA is better then the TV when the OVA was nothing like the manga? Atleast the TV series keept most of the stuff in the manga intact. And the whole drag on excues is getting real old.

Because the OVA was based off of actual historical events. When it boils down to things... I will always like thing that a based in actual fact rather than total fiction which is what the bulk of the manga and TV series are... after the events set in the first two OVA's, literally nothing about the Man (I think he was also named Kenshin, not sure though, gotta research that. anyways) Kenshin's character was based off of just faded from exsistance... they don't even know how he died or even if he went on to have a actual real life.
__________________
"Do you want it done fast, or do you want it done right?"
~Ignignokt, Aqua Teen Hunger Force

Currently PLAYING: Oblivion(PC), Rise of Legends Demo (PC), Commandos 2 (PC)

Just Finished: Kingdom Hearts 2 (PS2), Castlevania Symphony of the Night (PSOne)
Renegade X is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-18-2004, 08:11 PM   #155
bemanisuperstar
Banned
 
bemanisuperstar's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2004
Location: In HP Lovecraft's world
Posts: 2,461
You know Samuari Shodown paid homage to Kenshin and Kenshin Paid homage to Shodown and Last Blade was HOmage to Kenshin right?

Did that make any sense at all?
bemanisuperstar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-18-2004, 09:34 PM   #156
Mistatee
Linguistic Massacre
 
Mistatee's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2002
Location: Rain Central, WA
Posts: 4,836
Quote:
Originally Posted by Robo Halloween
Robo's collection:
  • Berserk: Box of War
  • Fatal Fury: The Box Set
  • The Complete Bastard!!
  • Kousetsu Hyaku Monogatari: Complete Box Set
YES BASTARD IS SWEET!!!!!
Only becuase mine is horibbly subbed. You can barely understand whats going on, and thats how i like it
__________________
C'mon get back on your feet!
Mistatee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-18-2004, 09:51 PM   #157
Robo Halloween
Banned
 
Robo Halloween's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2002
Location: Guaynabo, Puerto Rico
Posts: 1,736
I saw on Previews that Viz will be releasing Vol. 6 of the manga. Didn't cath the date though, but I'm happy to hear that, they are finally going to continue it stateside.
Robo Halloween is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-19-2004, 12:20 AM   #158
DeathStroke
Lone Wolf
 
DeathStroke's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2002
Posts: 1,004
Quote:
Originally Posted by bemanisuperstar
Ai Yori Aoshi (currently watching)
I love this show
I'm liking it so far but am not too thrilled with the episodic nature of the show. See next comment concerning Cowboy Bebop.

Quote:
Originally Posted by bemani
Cowboy Bebop (sold this because I didn't like the series)
WHY?!?!?!?!?!?!? have you a soul?
Well, it's not that I didn't like the series but rather that I felt it was too episodic. Some of the episodes were really well done like Toys in the Attic and the one with the fat clownish assassin but overall, it just didn't stand up well to marathon viewing. That's how I like to watch anime.

Quote:
Originally Posted by bemani
Neon Genesis Evangelion (sold this off because I didn't like how it ended)
What kind of dumb excuse is that? did yOU SEE THE MOVIES?
I've seen End of Evangelion and have no compulsion to watch Death and Rebirth which I've heard is just a retelling of the show. I'm not going to spend another thirty buck just to hear Shinji whine some more.

Quote:
Originally Posted by bemani
Ninja Scroll movie (VHS) and TV series (DVD)
and you kept this crap?
In the end, I actually liked Ninja Scroll TV. It was just the type of popcorn entertainment anime I expected from Urban Vision. However, in the case of Evangelion, I expected a lot more because of its reputation and it left me disapointed. Ditto for Cowboy Bebop.

Now, concerning how the Kenshin series ended. I thought it was quite cliched actually. THe whole OVA was put together to jerk at our heartstrings. And if you don't think this can happen to a great fighter, just look at Mohammed Ali.

Finally, yeah, I know about Angel Links. I mainly bought it to complete my Outlaw Star Collection. Did I mention that title in my list? Anyway, I've had it sitting around for a while and have only viewed one episode but that was enough. I'll get to it when I run out of everything else.
__________________
AoE: Senior Member
DeathStroke is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-19-2004, 12:29 AM   #159
bemanisuperstar
Banned
 
bemanisuperstar's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2004
Location: In HP Lovecraft's world
Posts: 2,461
Quote:
Originally Posted by DeathStroke

I've seen End of Evangelion and have no compulsion to watch Death and Rebirth which I've heard is just a retelling of the show. I'm not going to spend another thirty buck just to hear Shinji whine some more.
Why didn't you just say Shinji is a pussy in the first place?

If you're going to Not like Eva that's the reason to not like Eva

Because

1, Shinji is a whiny bitch

2. The most likeable person in the whole show has no Free Will or soul or body of her own. (Rei)

and what is your problem with "episodic anime" ?

I think it's just fine and dandy
bemanisuperstar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-19-2004, 03:46 PM   #160
Dr. Bombay
ificouldjustbemorehuman
 
Dr. Bombay's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2003
Location: The Nexus Between Jersey and NYC
Posts: 9,197
Quote:
Originally Posted by bemanisuperstar
Umm NO

The Final OAV was the demand to have the Jinchuu arc animated.

Trust and Betrayal was made to Explain Kenshin's background in the Revolution which was also part of the JInchuu arc.

Get your history right.
And was it? No. Thus it FAILS. The same way CNN fails at delivering unbiased news. Thus it still sucks, and should be stricken from the record.
__________________
~There's a Door Here, But It Will Not Break~
~There's a Stone There, But It Won't Remain~
~Up There's a Heaven Now, But It Will Not Wait~
~And The Lies There, The Scent Of It, Just Too Much~

~So Should You~
~Sow It Once and Make It Grow, The Sweet Clematis~
~Let It Flower, and Paint it All Of The Colors Old~
Instantly Things Fall and Fade, Return to Silence~
~Why Oh Why, Why Does It All Feel So Sorrowful?~
~Dreams Of What Is Real~
Dr. Bombay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-19-2004, 03:52 PM   #161
Danchastu
. . .
 
Danchastu's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2002
Location: Koholint
Posts: 72
Neon Genesis Evangelion hands down

Followed closely by Cowboy Bebop and Trigun

...and love hina.........
Danchastu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-19-2004, 03:53 PM   #162
Dr. Bombay
ificouldjustbemorehuman
 
Dr. Bombay's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2003
Location: The Nexus Between Jersey and NYC
Posts: 9,197
Quote:
Originally Posted by DeathStroke



In the end, I actually liked Ninja Scroll TV. It was just the type of popcorn entertainment anime I expected from Urban Vision. However, in the case of Evangelion, I expected a lot more because of its reputation and it left me disapointed. Ditto for Cowboy Bebop.


Quote:
Finally, yeah, I know about Angel Links. I mainly bought it to complete my Outlaw Star Collection. Did I mention that title in my list? Anyway, I've had it sitting around for a while and have only viewed one episode but that was enough. I'll get to it when I run out of everything else.
that's why I felt the need to finish it. Too bad the series is nothing remotely close to the Angel Links within Outlaw Star. Oh well
__________________
~There's a Door Here, But It Will Not Break~
~There's a Stone There, But It Won't Remain~
~Up There's a Heaven Now, But It Will Not Wait~
~And The Lies There, The Scent Of It, Just Too Much~

~So Should You~
~Sow It Once and Make It Grow, The Sweet Clematis~
~Let It Flower, and Paint it All Of The Colors Old~
Instantly Things Fall and Fade, Return to Silence~
~Why Oh Why, Why Does It All Feel So Sorrowful?~
~Dreams Of What Is Real~
Dr. Bombay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-20-2004, 01:57 AM   #163
Mainstreme Fan
Banned
 
Mainstreme Fan's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2004
Posts: 677
Quote:
Originally Posted by Renegade X
Piccolo is too much of the token alien bad ass, gohan just annoys me to all ends, Trunks was good when they had him as a teenager, once he went kid that was it for him, and don't get me started on Goku... he'd much rather be eatting than saving the world. The Characters in YYH are by far more interesting, I never felt like Goku was really fighting for anything other than the sake of fighting, Yusake at times is reluctant to fight, some times DBZ can just be doo dang goofy. It's not really that lame when you consider that at least he lets some of the other characters have more than 5 episodes of fame before they become radically obsure.


How can YYH char bemore intesting when they all are cliche char from other anime. Yosuke is wonna be badass that deep down a crybaby crying out for attention, kurbumw is a dumbass sidekick, the red hair dud the faggit pretty boy of the series, hehi is angius loser, boten is a airhead and the villains are just sad. Atlest goku is not always the hero like yusake is alway saving everyone ass all the time.
Mainstreme Fan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-20-2004, 02:02 AM   #164
Mainstreme Fan
Banned
 
Mainstreme Fan's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2004
Posts: 677
Out of NGE or CB I don`t know which one is more overrated? Nither shows has interesting char ecept for 1 or 2 of them. CB only hase 5 cannon ep`s while NGE started off asa good series had a train wrack around ep 14 which soon lead to one of the worst ending in any from of animation...
Mainstreme Fan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-20-2004, 04:23 PM   #165
DeathStroke
Lone Wolf
 
DeathStroke's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2002
Posts: 1,004
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mainstreme Fan
Out of NGE or CB I don`t know which one is more overrated? Nither shows has interesting char ecept for 1 or 2 of them. CB only hase 5 cannon ep`s while NGE started off asa good series had a train wrack around ep 14 which soon lead to one of the worst ending in any from of animation...
While I don't care much for your DBZ argument, I wholeheartedly agree about NGE.

As for Ninja Scroll TV, what were people expecting? The original movie was only as popular as it was because it featured over the top violence and a near rape scene. We got over the top violence in Ninja Scroll TV minus the near rape scene. That should only piss off Bemani.
__________________
AoE: Senior Member
DeathStroke is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Forum Jump


All times are GMT -4. The time now is 11:09 AM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.7.4
Copyright ©2000 - 2018, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.