The MagicBox Forums  

Go Back   The MagicBox Forums > General Topics > PC / Games / Internets Discussion

Old 12-15-2007, 11:59 AM   #1
Reality
Sin and Punishment

Crysis underperforming in sales.

Quote:
Perhaps this can be considered a lesson for game developers eager to deliver tomorrow's game technology today: Crysis hit the PC market with an exoskeleton-enhanced thud. The critically praised -- but processing intensive -- title sold a disappointing 86,633 units in the States following its Nov. 13 release.

Holding hands with Crysis is Epic's Unreal Tournament 3 which sold an even more disappointing 33,995 units following its Nov. 19 release. Although not a pixel pushing monster on the level of say, oh ... Crysis, the Unreal Engine 3 game is still a beast in an already crowded genre. At the very least UT3 will make up some sales with the recently released PS3 version and the future Xbox 360 version.
Vista was the biggest hold up in my opinion. More people buy Dx10 cards then copies of Vista.

Old 12-15-2007, 01:25 PM   #2
murray
<insert witty motto>

The biggest hold up is people pirate PC games. Why people even bother with these benchmark type games on PC i will never know, they are just exercises in losing money. PS3/360 version will definately happen now
murray is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-15-2007, 02:32 PM   #3
Decado

I wonder what those sales include, though? Online sales? Sales through downloadable media? Probably not, and they have more impact than retail sales these days for PC gamers.

That said, Crysis isn't so impressive after learning that you need a ridiculously powerful PC to make it look better than games like Uncharted, CoD4 and AC that are running on consoles. Crysis is going to need some major performance patches.
Decado is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-15-2007, 05:44 PM   #4
Alucard

Yeah these dont include online sales which make a big slice of the sales. I know I buy some games off the internet download services. But you'll fin the games will sell steadily for a long time since pc gamers dont all rush out on day 1 to buy stuff like the console side of things. Piracy shouldnt be a big factor either since these games are played online. Use a pirate cdkey and you wont be able to play on official servers, which is a massive draw back especially for UT3. For example I havent bought either title but do plan to after I upgrade in a few months.
Alucard is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-16-2007, 02:27 AM   #5
Meshugana
Daddy Fat Sacks

UT3 has been released!!!!??!?!?!?
Old 12-16-2007, 04:24 AM   #6
spider-prime
NOW IN CINEMAPHONIC QUADROVISION!

Location: I hated going to weddings cause all the grandmas would poke me saying "you're next, you're next". They stopped saying that when I did it to them at Funerals.
yeah I download a lot of games now though services like Steam. I actually get the game faster this way I have to drive out of town into the City to buy my stuff
spider-prime is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-16-2007, 07:25 AM   #7
Escaflowne2001
... ... ... ...

It'll sell better when it's ported to the consoles.
Escaflowne2001 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-16-2007, 09:01 AM   #8
Alucard

If its plugged enough then yeah it'll sell better. Although you need to remember they dont have to pay a percentage of each title released on the pc like they do for the consoles to sony and microsoft. And direct download games like through STEAM, way more money returned because they dont have to pay a publisher.
Alucard is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-16-2007, 01:50 PM   #9
AmishNazi
Skag Killer Extraordanaire

People just don't want to upgrade for ONE game. It's basically like a tech demo went on sale really.

Whenever you find yourself on the side of the majority, it is time to pause and reflect.
- Mark Twain
AmishNazi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-16-2007, 02:13 PM   #10
Decado

Pathetic thing is that no other developers are really supporting DX10 let alone trying to push technology in ways consoles can't. Double flop for M$ (though they're probably not upset since they would rather devs support their console).
Decado is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-16-2007, 05:45 PM   #11
spider-prime
NOW IN CINEMAPHONIC QUADROVISION!

Location: I hated going to weddings cause all the grandmas would poke me saying "you're next, you're next". They stopped saying that when I did it to them at Funerals.
The thing is, even tho these games like bioshock require high end cards to look good, you don't need to upgrade 1000s of dollars to play them.

My brother has a cheap 100 dollar radeon 2600 XT from sapphire and it runs all the games, even the newest ones like crysis just fine, sure you can't put on AA/AF and crap like that but it still looks fucking great!

I laugh at people who thought that TF2 would be a systems hog and my other brother is running the game on a onboard GPU on his motherboard lolol I keep trying to upgrade to at least a 8600GTS but he won't do it! cheap bastard.
spider-prime is offline   Reply With Quote