The MagicBox Forums  

Go Back   The MagicBox Forums > General Topics > PC / Games / Internets Discussion

Old 03-08-2007, 12:33 PM   #1
Nindalf

Are there any games like Civilization IV that are actually good?

Topic is slightly simplifying the issue. I like Civilization IV, but I just think it's extremely flawed.

For example in Civilization IV, the border system is really stupid. Only ways to increase your border is by building or conquering cities or spreading your culture. That all fine, but there should be ways to give or demand territory from other civilizations without actually taking cities. When a war ends that doesn't include the total destruction of a rival civ, you should be able to draw up new borders.

Also, combat is just retarded. All you can do is just to attack. Only real tactics come from choosing the different experience points or damaging the units with air strikes before attacking. You should at the very least to be able to execute a sickle cut move to attack enemies' flanks. You should get massive bonuses if you flank an enemy that is currently engaged with another of your units. Also, surrounding cities should be done better than just bombarding. I want to go all Leningrad on those losers.

Also, in Civilization IV resources seem like total waste. Once I had an empire that was the entire Europe, minus the British Isles, pretty deep in Russia, part of middle east, parts of North Africa and a big chunk from South America, but I had one oil well off the coast of Norway, and it was enough to support my entire empire. What the fuck? No challenge what so ever there. All the other resources seem like filler, too. Especially if you have more than one of them.

What also should be changed is the way new and conquered territory can be treated. Why should I have to rule my colonies the same way as my country? You should be able to have freedom and luxuries on your main area, and enslave and exploit your conquered areas. They should also add how you can treat minorities. Each city and country could have a list of ethnicities and religious minorities, and you could choose how you treat each one. You should basically be allowed to choose to lump cities into states or provinces and treat them differently if you'd want.

I think It's pretty clear that Sid Meyer should call me for the next Civilization game. These are just the main flaws.
Nindalf is offline   Reply With Quote
Connect With Facebook to "Like" This Thread

Old 03-08-2007, 12:34 PM   #2
B.B. Gambini
Banned

no. there are none.
B.B. Gambini is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-2007, 01:08 PM   #3
Decado

Galactic Civilizations II
Decado is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-2007, 01:16 PM   #4
Voltigeur

LEGION and is ok you can make an allience's but the border system is the same i guess thats the only system out in the market today.

"That was Burt Haggert in I kissed my Sweetie with my Fist"
Voltigeur is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-2007, 01:20 PM   #5
Nindalf

Quote:
Originally Posted by Decado
i should have said i'm not into trekkie crap.
Old 03-08-2007, 03:16 PM   #6
welshfreak
: )

Civilization is flawed. I want to love it so much, any game where you can install fascism into your state should be applauded, but yeah, border system ftl.

And what? Didn't crush the British Isles? Any oppertunity to pillage Wales should be taken, old bean.
welshfreak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-2007, 03:57 PM   #7
Nindalf

Oh, I did. I conquered them next. But there was an oil well off their coast, and my example worked better with just one oil well, so I used my pre-Operation Sealion empire to make my point about the silly resource system.

I suffered serious losses, though. I waited too long and they grew strong and fat, so it took tons of troops and aircraft to take their juicy islands.
Old 03-08-2007, 04:04 PM   #8
Mistatee
Linguistic Massacre

Quote:
Originally Posted by Decado
QFT
Old 03-08-2007, 06:14 PM   #9
Nano Fox
All your WIFI are belong to us!

Location: I fell in love with a woman, but my family didn't like her. (Friend)Your parents? (Me) No, my wife and kids.
Civilization 4 sucked for me, my friends, my family... Civilization 3 is where it is at still.
You could always play Conquest: Frontier Wars, great game fo shoo!
Old 03-17-2007, 06:19 AM   #10
welshfreak

What civilization do you prefer to play as Nindalf?
Old 03-17-2007, 07:41 AM   #11
Nindalf

Rome or Germany. I love me some Panzers.
Old 03-17-2007, 08:15 AM   #12
welshfreak

Germany are good, but lack of Hitler, whilst terrorists like Gandhi get in for India is too unfair.
Old 03-17-2007, 08:34 AM   #13
Nindalf

Yeah, that annoyed me. There's Stalin in the expansion, but I consider that offensive. If you have a game with Roosevelt, Churchill and Stalin, you should damn well have Hitler. I blame those goddamn Germans for that. Since it's illegal to even sell games or movies with swastikas in there, those losers would probably ban a game with Hitler in it.
Old 03-17-2007, 08:53 AM   #14
welshfreak

Also they should follow the religion/race idea up further in Civ V. They got the 'culture' idea nailed in Civ IV, but I want to see the results of say, 'fascism' more so, you should be able to segregate populations, have lolocausts and the like. I know these ideas have been touched on, but I want to actually see what lack of free speech does to my civilization other than a few coins on the stat counter or whatever. Yes, I'm in dream land. : (
Old 03-17-2007, 11:05 AM   #15
Zachalmighty
Future Demon King

You can try Rome Total War or Medeivil Total War 2.