Go Back   The MagicBox Forums > General Topics > General Gaming Discussion

Old 03-27-2019, 02:13 AM   #1
Rubeus

EA lays off 350 employees in marketing, publishing and operations

The EA evil bosses' grin.

Click for full size

Quote:
EA LAYS OFF 350 EMPLOYEES IN MARKETING, PUBLISHING, AND OPERATIONS

"We are doing everything we can to ensure we are looking after our people to help them through this period to find their next opportunity."

EA has announced that it will be laying off 350 employees as it makes changes to its marketing, publishing, and operations teams and prepares to ramp down its presence in Japan and Russia.

Andrew Wilson, CEO of Electronic Arts (EA), released a public statement explaining these "important but very hard decisions," and and that EA is "doing everything we can to ensure we are looking after our people to help them through this period to find their next opportunity. This is our top priority."

The full statement can be read below:
Today we took some important steps as a company to address our challenges and prepare for the opportunities ahead. As we look across a changing world around us, it’s clear that we must change with it. We’re making deliberate moves to better deliver on our commitments, refine our organization and meet the needs of our players. As part of this, we have made changes to our marketing and publishing organization, our operations teams, and we are ramping down our current presence in Japan and Russia as we focus on different ways to serve our players in those markets. In addition to organizational changes, we are deeply focused on increasing quality in our games and services. Great games will continue to be at the core of everything we do, and we are thinking differently about how to amaze and inspire our players.

This is a difficult day. The changes we’re making today will impact about 350 roles in our 9,000-person company. These are important but very hard decisions, and we do not take them lightly. We are friends and colleagues at EA, we appreciate and value everyone’s contributions, and we are doing everything we can to ensure we are looking after our people to help them through this period to find their next opportunity. This is our top priority.

This day is another sad day in the games industry this year that has already seen around 800 employees being laid off from Activision Blizzard, which accounted for around 8% of its workforce, as well as layoffs impacting employees at the studio behind Guild Wars, ArenaNet.

As for EA, these 350 people made up almost 4% of the 9000 that are employed by the company responsible for such titles as Madden, FIFA, Apex Legends, Anthem, Battlefield V, Star Wars Battlefront and so many more.

https://ca.ign.com/articles/2019/03/...and-operations
Rubeus is offline   Reply With Quote
Connect With Facebook to "Like" This Thread

Old 03-27-2019, 05:32 PM   #2
Hagane
Unlucky dog

It is indeed disheartening to see people lose their jobs but at the same time makes sense because unlike in America and Europe over there most people must be well aware that EA games are just garbage.
Hagane is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-27-2019, 10:14 PM   #3
spider-prime
NOW IN CINEMAPHONIC QUADROVISION!

Location: I hated going to weddings cause all the grandmas would poke me saying "you're next, you're next". They stopped saying that when I did it to them at Funerals.
well, mcdonald's is always looking for new people.
spider-prime is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-28-2019, 11:33 AM   #4
BlindMaphisto
DANGER-HUMAN

Ea could make some of the best games on the planet if they just stopped letting the people who aren't passionate about gaming make too many decisions.
When life gives you lemons? Don't make lemonade. Make life take the lemons back! Get mad! 'I don't want your damn lemons! What am I supposed to do with these?' Demand to see life's manager! Make life rue the day it thought it could give Cave Johnson lemons! Do you know who I am? I'm the man who's going to burn your house down! With the lemons! I'm going to get my engineers to invent a combustible lemon that burns your house down!"
BlindMaphisto is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-28-2019, 08:20 PM   #5
spider-prime
NOW IN CINEMAPHONIC QUADROVISION!

Location: I hated going to weddings cause all the grandmas would poke me saying "you're next, you're next". They stopped saying that when I did it to them at Funerals.
It's all about those washingtons, yo.
spider-prime is offline   Reply With Quote