The MagicBox Forums  

Go Back   The MagicBox Forums > General Topics > PC / Games / Internets Discussion

Old 05-09-2005, 12:36 PM   #16
Finalizer

Yeah, that's what I've been hearin, it's just for better textures.

...Okay, I know this probably sounds totally newbieish, but with SLI-compatible motherboards, it's supposed to allow dual video cards, correct? So therefore, if you had a pair of 256 mb video cards, could that act like 512 mb of video memory, or does it not work quite like that?

Sorry for the stupid question.
Old 05-09-2005, 01:20 PM   #17
Alucard

hmm.. No it wouldnt. The way SLI works is pretty simple. Hopefully I wont be saying this wrong, as I read it a while back. Generally one card is used to power half of the game, lets say the top half of the screen is done by one card and the lower half by the other card. So this means less work and more power left over. The texture memory would still be the same, only it would be read ALOT more faster. Try think of it as multiple core processes. Each part does its own thing.
Alucard is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-2005, 01:51 PM   #18
Finalizer

Hm... Well, I was just trying to see if it would be able to allow what this 512 mb video card could, that is, allow the higher-quality textures that this 512 mb video card can. I wanna know if I'd be able to play Doom 3 on ultra-high or not. (Yes, I know it's petty, but I'm just curious...)

Yeah, from what I've heard, it can render things in three ways:
1. One video card works for the top-half of the screen while the other works for the bottom.
2. Each video card will alternate between rendering frames.
3. ...Damn it all, I can't remember. ><

But yeah, I was just seeing if this thing would truly be as beastly as it sounds.