The MagicBox Forums  

Go Back   The MagicBox Forums > General Topics > PC / Games / Internets Discussion

Old 02-12-2008, 06:54 PM   #1
Zachalmighty
Future Demon King

Guess what bitches?!

Mass effect on the PC in 2008

http://www.rpgamer.com/news/Q1-2008/021208a.html

Old 02-12-2008, 08:17 PM   #2
Reality
Sin and Punishment

I thought it was always heading to PC.
Old 02-12-2008, 08:18 PM   #3
Drunken Savior
El Psy Kongroo!

I hate 'clever' thread titles.

Games I'm hyped for
The Last of Us Part 2, RE2 Remake, The Last Night

Current Platforms:
PC (i7-7700K, 16GB, GTX 980Ti), Wii U, PS4
Drunken Savior is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2008, 08:40 PM   #4
Alucard

Yeah noone caled that... AT ALL
Alucard is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2008, 09:00 PM   #5
Zachalmighty
Future Demon King

: ( Hatin on my thread. I DONT HATE ON YOUR THREADS!!!
Old 02-12-2008, 11:17 PM   #6
Alucard

Whos up for giving Zach an atomic wedgie!
Old 02-12-2008, 11:18 PM   #7
Drunken Savior
El Psy Kongroo!

Tear the hem off, Con!

Games I'm hyped for

Current Platforms:
Old 02-12-2008, 11:31 PM   #8
Chronos
fuggit

Cool now i can play this for free! This is why i avoided the 360 version.
Chronos is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-2008, 05:13 AM   #9
Alucard

Quote:
Optimized controls designed specifically for the PC.

High resolution visuals – Mass Effect for the PC features highly detailed textures, characters and environments.

Fully customizable controls – PC gamers can re-map the control scheme any way they like.

Run & Gun Control – Players can assign biotic powers or skills to ‘hot keys’ allowing them to play Mass Effect with a heavier focus on action.

New decryption mini-game.

New inventory screen GUI and functionality – The enhanced inventory system makes it easier for players to equip and modify their weapons and armor.
Old 02-13-2008, 06:54 AM   #10
Drunken Savior
El Psy Kongroo!

Yeah having multiple hotkeys will make this game wayyyyyyy more dynamic. In the 360 version, you pick one ability and have it hotkeyed. Kinda weak. Spent too much time in the menu screen in the heat of battle. Though, it is nice to have a break during some battles, like the last boss......Spiderman.

Games I'm hyped for

Current Platforms:
Old 02-13-2008, 12:00 PM   #11
memory to zack

It´s because Mass Effect is a PC RPG in its core or, differently put, made with the PC in mind, even if it came first on X360. So, no wonder why it will play better on PC. Ever since Microsoft came in the console race, the number of from PC to console ported games as well as the jack-of-all-trades pcXconsole games dramatically increased. That´s what started the pc-console gamers hate imo, up to the ps era there weren´t any such issues.

I won´t be getting Mass Effect neither for PC or X360 as The Witcher covers all my PC RPG needs right now.
memory to zack is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-2008, 12:52 PM   #12
murray
<insert witty motto>

The hate between PC gamers and console gamers is down to PC gamers acting pompus because their £800 PC is more powerful than a £300 console.
murray is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-2008, 01:09 PM   #13
memory to zack

And this wasn´t happening because back then, if you wanted to play a console game you had only the console and if you wanted to play a pc game you only had the pc and it was good so. Nowadays you can play myriads of dumbed down (gameplay-wise) pc games on consoles, which also affects to some extent the gameplay on PC. That´s why PC gamers bash consoles and they are right. I wouldn´t like to play a pure console game whose gameplay was dumbed down for keaboard+mouse use and lost its console flair.
Old 02-13-2008, 02:01 PM   #14
Alucard

PC gamers bash console gamers because the console gamers are double standard whores. I know thats a bit harsh but it is. All those years of hearing nothing but pc games are shit, all pc games are fps games, fps games are shit ollolo. So now some of the biggest console game titles are...halo, killzone, Resistance, Timesplitters, and more. Its ok since these are on the consoles. Yet fps games suck if they're pc games.

And lets not forget the age old retarded I'd rather sit on my large couch with my controller infront of my 50" tv instead of a little monitor using a keyboard on an uncomfortable chair. Seriously. wtf. Thats why console only gamers are given shit.

On a personal note I have issues with the games being dumbed down, like Zach said. Deus Ex is a brilliant example. The second was so dumbed down it was beyond a joke. And dont get me started on Mech Warrior. Fucking nightmares for the rest of my life. I play and like consoles too. Thats the sad thing. But I can point out the advantages of both and enjoy both, unlike someone who only prefers one side. Like say ...Halo for example. Thats perfect. I can stab at a halo whore all week if they try to trash pc games.
Old 02-13-2008, 03:34 PM   #15
memory to zack

Did the bashing from the console gamers´ side existed up to the ps-era? I don´t think they were ever bashing, rather merely pointing out why they like console games. Shooters also existed back in the days on consoles as third-person and they were definitely more enjoyable than the current console fps.

The stupid excuses from console and pc side first started out when the xbox came out and started mass porting of pc games on consoles and created an hybrid of console and pc game that I call jack-of-all-trades consoleXpc games in order to please everyone a bit and of course maximize sales. 10 years ago people didn´t buy console games that were ported on pc and vice-versa, why? Because they knew that porting would ruin the game, unlike nowadays that curent-gamers don´t have this privileged education.

Up to the ps-era console gamers were served AAA console games one after the other and thus were served console games, that´s why they owned a console to begin with. Ever since the transitioning happened with microsoft coming in the console race, the number of the aforementioned types of games drastically increased and the 100% console games decreased. Nowadays, pure console games mainly come out of Japan and since the gaming industry there, excluding handheld since handheld is still considered kid-gaming in the West, dropped a lot compared since the ps-era, the quality of console games decreased as well.

Nowadays, console gamers consist of newcomers that never experienced the old games on consoles, pc gamers that are poor and/or don´t want to spend money for a good rig and gamers that like both console and pc games of the same genre. Console gamers have to accomodate, wait for the good console game to come out or buy one of the aforementioned because they can´t wait anymore.

I think that the whole console industry is pretty much fucked up nowadays, it seems as if they forgot their roots and the old games. Many games get overhyped and overreviewed, whereas the games that should don´t. The console industry chaps mainly care of maximizing profits, whereas pc guys serve their userbase like they always used to. That´s why I believe the pc industry will catch up consoles and eventually surpass them. Console gaming will be just gaming for poors, playing on the Wii, only the PS3 will eventually serve dedicated console gamers, if Sony doesn´t follow Microsoft´s steps that is.