Old 01-30-2019, 12:16 AM   #1
Rubeus

Xbox "Going Big" At E3 This Year After Sony Drops Out

It's a bad move for Sony.

Click for full size

Quote:
Xbox "Going Big" At E3 This Year After Sony Drops Out
"It's go time," Spencer says.

E3 2019 is going to be a big year for Xbox at E3, it seems. Head of Xbox Phil Spencer said on a recent podcast that Microsoft's showing at E3 this year will be "as big" as it's ever been for Xbox, and one reason why might be because Sony is dropping out of E3.

Speaking to Major Nelson, Spencer started off by saying, "This is going to be a fun E3 for us." He recalled an internal Microsoft conversation about E3 after the "news" that dropped last year about E3, which is presumably a reference to Sony skipping the show.

"There was some news about E3 back in the fall. We had a discussion internally about, 'Should we go big?' 'Should we save some money?' 'What does that mean?' We decided, no [we're not going to save money], we're going to do our thing," Spencer said. "We're going to go and be as big at E3 as we've ever been. I love that opportunity."

Right now, with about five months to go before E3 2019, Microsoft is in the midst of thinking about how and who the company can get to come on stage, Spencer said. The company is also talking about if the company wants to talk about titles and products coming in the short-term versus the long-term. Spencer said he personally likes to be transparent, but he's also mindful of being careful not to announce something too early.

Spencer didn't get into specifics, but he said the content lineup from Xbox for E3 2019 is already "great." The company also plans to talk about the future of Xbox and more about what the Xbox brand means--beyond console. The Xbox is a console, but there are "millions" of people who spend time and money on Xbox outside of the console family through PC and mobile, Spencer pointed out. At E3, he wants to let people know that they don't need to own an Xbox to be part of the Xbox community.

Also in the interview, Spencer talked about Xbox's position in 2019, saying the groundwork that Microsoft put down in recent years will really begin to pay off this year. Quoting George W. Bush, Spencer said, "This is a year where it's not strategery--we're going to roll up our sleeves and we're going to show. I love that. Now it's go time."

One of the new platforms Microsoft has in the works for gaming is Project xCloud, which is the working title for the company's game-streaming service. It's already up and running, and Spencer said he was using it during his travels at the end of 2018. It'll probably be "years" before streaming becomes the primary way people play games, but the technology is coming together, Spencer said.

Additionally, Spencer discussed Microsoft's recent spree of studio purchases. One of the reasons Microsoft bought and set up a total of seven studios in six months was to create a catalog of titles that "surprise and delight" fans, and release on a "regular cadence." Microsoft has been criticised in recent years for not having enough compelling first-party content, and Spencer acknowledged that Microsoft's first-party lineup is "so different" than what it's been over the past five years. He also shared an anecdote from Microsoft CEO Satya Nadella, who apparently said he's eager and happy about Microsoft investing so heavily in teams that will make exclusive content for Xbox going forward.

One of Microsoft's announcements at E3 2019 could be a new console. Spencer has already confirmed that Microsoft is working on multiple new consoles. According to Brad Sams, one is a disc-free streaming box and another is a console more powerful than the Xbox One X.

E3 2019 takes place June 11-13, 2019 in Los Angeles. While Sony is backing away, the show is expected to be a very big one full of surprises and reveals of all kinds.

https://www.gamespot.com/articles/xb.../1100-6464682/
Rubeus is offline   Reply With Quote
Connect With Facebook to "Like" This Thread

Old 01-31-2019, 05:49 AM   #2
Joe Redifer
Olé!

I hope they introduce the Xbox Two. Only 180 times less powerful than the Xbox 360.
Joe Redifer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-2019, 12:41 PM   #3
Nem
Smash bro!

Yes, Sony were dumb.

Microsoft is gonna drive the Xbox next-gen there and grab all of the coverage.

It was such a stupid decision that i got no words to describe how daft they were. If they don't want to be left behind, they have to unveil the PS5 before E3. Otherwise all those multi-plats will be covered as X2 exclusives. God... i don't even. I don't understand how Sony can be this stupid sometimes.
Old 01-31-2019, 09:56 PM   #4
spider-prime
NOW IN CINEMAPHONIC QUADROVISION!

Location: I hated going to weddings cause all the grandmas would poke me saying "you're next, you're next". They stopped saying that when I did it to them at Funerals.
They all get cocky whenever one console does the best.

PS2 most popular, made sony be stupid with PS3.

Xbox 360 more popular, xbox one too stupid for anyone to care.

Wii gets popular...…… so they make the wii u thinking they can't do wrong.

Next is the PS4. Can't wait to see how stupid they get with the PS5.
spider-prime is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2019, 01:22 AM   #5
Rubeus

Nintendo never gets stupid with its handheld machines, they always dominate the markets.
Rubeus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2019, 10:40 AM   #6
spider-prime
NOW IN CINEMAPHONIC QUADROVISION!

Location: I hated going to weddings cause all the grandmas would poke me saying "you're next, you're next". They stopped saying that when I did it to them at Funerals.
Really, tho, that is weird that no matter who makes a handheld, Nintendo does better still.

3DS tho, almost did screw them over. They had to do a major price drop in the first year and give out 20 free games to people who bought it before the price drop. But, did better after the price drop.

But, another reason they probably always did better is that they were always the cheapest handhelds too, other than the 3DS when they went insane with the price. lol

Gameboys were always under a 100 dollars, while others were usually over 100 dollars. Wasn't till the DS/3DS when they started charging more.
spider-prime is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2019, 08:57 PM   #7
SavedFromSin
RAWR!!!

I see no problem with Sony leaving E3. They have nothing to show so why be there? MS will be 3rd party central as they have nothing but Gears and Forza left for this generation. If they announce the new machine they are just harming themselves because that gives Sony an edge into their plan. Personally, i think all of them should just follow Nintendo's idea. The long show is just a waste of time.

The above post wasn't checked for: spelling or grammatical errors, comma splices, awkward phrases, run-on sentences, subject-verb agreement, and other errors in the English language.
PSN=MrBear14518 XboxLive=Teaching Bear
SavedFromSin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2019, 10:06 AM   #8
Nem
Smash bro!

Yeah but how long will every game be covered as an next-gen Microsoft exclusive until Sony unveils their hand? That is so much coverage to be handing to your direct competitor.

They can't let them have the spot-light like that. Going first was actually how Microsoft managed to make the 360 a success.
Old 02-09-2019, 12:35 PM   #9
BlindMaphisto
DANGER-HUMAN

To be fair I think skipping a year at the end of console life cycle to double up on a more impressive ps5 reveal might have some merit. Ms is going to need their new studios to have something to show to catch up on the reveals for the next cycle.
"This seems like a good time for a drink, and a cold calculated speech with sinister overtones. A speech about politics, about order, brotherhood, power. But speeches are for campaigning. Now is the time for action."
BlindMaphisto is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2019, 02:47 PM   #10
SavedFromSin
RAWR!!!

Whatever their new studios are producing for MS, they are at least 2 years off at the very best. Sony may not be in such a position as I imagine many of their studios began production shortly after they released their last games. I foresee MS having a killer E3 that makes them shine....until Sony announces the PS5 at PSX (which I really believe they will do) and steals that light. I don't think Sony is worried since they have 93 million units sold this gen and are on top. I think the biggest concern is that a winning Sony is a cocky Sony. And a cocky Sony effs up and we have a repeat of the beginning of the PS3 era at which point MS, who is a way better position than they were going into Xbox 360, will take off and never be caught thus define the next generation.

The above post wasn't checked for: spelling or grammatical errors, comma splices, awkward phrases, run-on sentences, subject-verb agreement, and other errors in the English language.
PSN=MrBear14518 XboxLive=Teaching Bear
SavedFromSin is offline   Reply With Quote