The MagicBox Forums  

Go Back   The MagicBox Forums > General Topics > PC / Games / Internets Discussion

Reply
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 03-08-2012, 08:44 AM   #16
Alucard
Registered User
 
Alucard's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2002
Location: Australia
Posts: 32,625
Completely everything to do with. You're saying you cant say you wont enjoy a game unless you have specifically played it, regardless of if the game fits in the criteria you yourself make for games you will enjoy. Watching Syndicate for an hour, it looked trashy to me. I dont see exactly how playing it will change that opinion. Its no different to em uploading these trailers here and saying WILL YOU PLAY THEM?







[youtube[LIW6a1BsUcU[/youtube]












Examples of good games you may or may not have played before. After watching the trailers of the ones youhavent played, would you play them? If not why not? You dont know if its bad unless you play it. They're all great games where majority of the people who have played them love the games, so you're basically obligated to play these before you can say anything.

Also if Vampire Bloodlines was a recent game coming for Xbox, all you whores who havent touched it would be lining up to play it straight away.
Alucard is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-2012, 09:11 AM   #17
darren
... lol
 
darren's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2006
Location: Ippy O Switch, UK
Posts: 11,806
Quote:
Originally Posted by Alucard View Post
You're saying you cant say you wont enjoy a game unless you have specifically played it, regardless of if the game fits in the criteria you yourself make for games you will enjoy..
that is not i what said at all ..

you said "Syndicate was average at the extreme best to poor." how do you know? you never played it .. saying you probebly wouldn't enjoy it is VERY different.

the amount of stuff that is 'festering rubbish' from watching round a mates house for 5 mins is laughable ..

i know for a fact that i wouldnt like football manager as i dont like that kinda thing .. would i call it "average at the extreme best to poor" no as i'v not played it.

i'd call the sims a dull as fuck as i have played it and much prefered going out and meeting real people in bars and fucking them tbh.
__________________
Currently playing : Mass Effect 3
Playing next : Tales of the Abyss
Waiting on : Diablo 3
XBL Herr Lip Steam Butters' Bottom Bitch (http://steamcommunity.com/id/buttersbottombitch)
darren is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-2012, 09:21 AM   #18
KingOfSentinels
Kossy
 
KingOfSentinels's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2009
Location: Engrand.
Posts: 5,704
Quote:
Originally Posted by Alucard View Post
Either of you played The Sims, X, Gran Turismo or Vampire Bloodlines?
Yes, no, yes, yes. I've never even heard of 'X' and given an opinion on it, and funnily enough, if it came up in discussion, I wouldn't just say it was shit when I hadn't played it. I would say "I don't know, not played, but it looks..." and say what I think it looks like, but wouldn't say as a matter of fact it was shit just because I saw it. I'd be open to playing it depending on other views.

But played the others and they're good, alright, and awesome.
__________________
Currently Playing
'Too lazy to keep updating'
KingOfSentinels is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-2012, 09:22 AM   #19
Alucard
Registered User
 
Alucard's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2002
Location: Australia
Posts: 32,625
No, he said you cant say anything about a game unless you've played it, and usually in its entirety. I listed reasons for why I thought the game was bad. All those reasons dont change throughout the game. ie it does not improve on what it does or looks like. So if you can enjoy that then good. comparing that to other better games would set it way below on the list of good fps games. Therefore I am pretty sure after watching it for an hour, not to be confused with your indepth 5min example, should be more then enough to make an opinion on the game itself.

I'm also told that I cant not say a game is good with limited gameplay. How long did you play sims for? And did you play Sims 3 as that game is heads and shoulders a totally different breed then the first two. You cant say its crap if you havent played it. Same goes for football manager. On what grounds are you saying you wouldnt enjoy that kind of thing? Whether the game is good or not isnt the basis for your opinion of it. Its the fact that you wont play it so you dont actually know if you wont enjoy it. Plenty of games out there that people thought they wouldnt enjoy and suddenly realise they do after playing it. Taking into account that you actually follow the premier league is also double standard almost in refusing to play it. So I dont see how I can be criticized on one hand while on the other you for example can go along your merry way just fine with your own opinions.
Alucard is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-2012, 09:36 AM   #20
darren
... lol
 
darren's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2006
Location: Ippy O Switch, UK
Posts: 11,806
Quote:
Originally Posted by Alucard View Post
No, he said you cant say anything about a game unless you've played it. How long did you play sims for? And did you play Sims 3 as that game is heads and shoulders a totally different breed then the first two. You cant say its crap if you havent played it.
i played sims 2 long enough to know i would rather go out and meet real people tbh

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alucard View Post
Same goes for football manager. On what grounds are you saying you wouldnt enjoy that kind of thing?
i have never enjoyed any game like that. i've never said its shit but i know i dont like that kinda game.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alucard View Post
Taking into account that you actually follow the premier league is also double standard almost in refusing to play it.
WTF???? utter rubbish .. by that account i should being playing fifa as well then .. nonsense.
__________________
Currently playing : Mass Effect 3
Playing next : Tales of the Abyss
Waiting on : Diablo 3
XBL Herr Lip Steam Butters' Bottom Bitch (http://steamcommunity.com/id/buttersbottombitch)
darren is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-2012, 09:41 AM   #21
Alucard
Registered User
 
Alucard's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2002
Location: Australia
Posts: 32,625
Quote:
Originally Posted by darren316 View Post
i played sims 2 long enough to know i would rather go out and meet real people tbh
2 is different. I played 1 way more then I did 2. I actually hardly played 2 because it didnt feel like a big enough jump. 3 is massively better and awesome. Using the excuse of wanting to go out and meet people doesnt work. Why bother playing any kind of interaction game when you can go out and do it yourself.


Quote:
Originally Posted by darren316 View Post
i have never enjoyed any game like that. i've never said its shit but i know i dont like that kinda game.

How many manager games have you actually played? I've played plenty and MAJORITY of them were pretty shit. This is easily one of the best ones around and it sucks you in. Not playing it because you dont like other different managers isnt a viable reason to not play it.


Quote:
Originally Posted by darren316 View Post
WTF???? utter rubbish .. by that account i should being playing fifa as well then .. nonsense.
Not rubbish. I thought fifa was shit. I started liking it recently because the newer versions are actually good. Where as pro evo was my fave, it is now my most detested. I cant stand watching tennis or golf, but I'll play certain games in their genre. We're talking games here. Liking football is a good enough reason to play a football game. But in the end its a game that you're playing, not watching on tv. So its completely different.
Alucard is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-2012, 09:46 AM   #22
KingOfSentinels
Kossy
 
KingOfSentinels's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2009
Location: Engrand.
Posts: 5,704
I haven't played Sims 3, I thought you were referencing the first game. Which was good. I've not played Sims 3 so funnily enough I'm not going to comment whether it's a good or bad game because I don't know until I've played it. You can make a hunch about it sure, nothing wrong with that, and you making a hunch about it after watching is fine, like, I got bored of Sims after a little while of it and generally I'm not a fan of those types of games, even strategy in general, so probably would get bored with Sims 3 too, but I don't say "SIMS 3 IS DEFINITELY BORING AND A BAD GAME!!!!" just because I've seen it played.

Borderlands to me looked bad when it was leading up to release; I played it, and found an awesome game in there. If I never played a game based on looks or what other people said I'd miss some awesome awesome stuff.

Played Football Manager and didn't like it either. I'm not a football fan. I watch/support my team, I have a season ticket and always go and see home games, but ignore all the other teams basically. Plus I'm dating a Welsh girl so I need to learn more rugby...
__________________
Currently Playing
'Too lazy to keep updating'
KingOfSentinels is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-2012, 10:01 AM   #23
darren
... lol
 
darren's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2006
Location: Ippy O Switch, UK
Posts: 11,806
Quote:
Originally Posted by Alucard View Post
2 is different. I played 1 way more then I did 2. I actually hardly played 2 because it didnt feel like a big enough jump. 3 is massively better and awesome. Using the excuse of wanting to go out and meet people doesnt work. Why bother playing any kind of interaction game when you can go out and do it yourself.
its not an excuse .. for me id rather go to a bar and meet people than pretend. guess what id rather buy a house than pretend as well . i don't like that kinda game .. i'v played it didn't like it .. deal with it


Quote:
Originally Posted by Alucard View Post
How many manager games have you actually played? I've played plenty and MAJORITY of them were pretty shit. This is easily one of the best ones around and it sucks you in. Not playing it because you dont like other different managers isnt a viable reason to not play it.
enough to know i dont like the genre /end/


Quote:
Originally Posted by Alucard View Post
Not rubbish. I thought fifa was shit. I started liking it recently because the newer versions are actually good. Where as pro evo was my fave, it is now my most detested. I cant stand watching tennis or golf, but I'll play certain games in their genre. We're talking games here. Liking football is a good enough reason to play a football game. But in the end its a game that you're playing, not watching on tv. So its completely different.
not its not rubbish .. its UTTER rubbish .. to suggest because i follow Spurs i MUST like a mgmt footy game .. LOL .. utter utter rubbish
__________________
Currently playing : Mass Effect 3
Playing next : Tales of the Abyss
Waiting on : Diablo 3
XBL Herr Lip Steam Butters' Bottom Bitch (http://steamcommunity.com/id/buttersbottombitch)
darren is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-2012, 10:07 AM   #24
Alucard
Registered User
 
Alucard's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2002
Location: Australia
Posts: 32,625
Quote:
Originally Posted by KingOfSentinels View Post
I haven't played Sims 3, I thought you were referencing the first game. Which was good. I've not played Sims 3 so funnily enough I'm not going to comment whether it's a good or bad game because I don't know until I've played it. You can make a hunch about it sure, nothing wrong with that, and you making a hunch about it after watching is fine, like, I got bored of Sims after a little while of it and generally I'm not a fan of those types of games, even strategy in general, so probably would get bored with Sims 3 too, but I don't say "SIMS 3 IS DEFINITELY BORING AND A BAD GAME!!!!" just because I've seen it played.

Borderlands to me looked bad when it was leading up to release; I played it, and found an awesome game in there. If I never played a game based on looks or what other people said I'd miss some awesome awesome stuff.

Played Football Manager and didn't like it either. I'm not a football fan. I watch/support my team, I have a season ticket and always go and see home games, but ignore all the other teams basically. Plus I'm dating a Welsh girl so I need to learn more rugby...
Fuck rugby lol

You say you dont like those sorts of games so it gives you enough of an idea that tells you that you wont like the new one either. Thats not accurate and the same as saying it doesnt look good. That doesnt mean there wont be one in that style that you will. I dont enjoy hack and slash games. I find them boring and repetitive. God of War is one of the very very very few games that I actually love and its in that genre.

Going back to Syndicate, can you tell me if any of those points I made change later in the game. If they dont, and from what I've seen and been told its fairly standard through the entire game, I cant see how points that I dont like in a game will suddenly become things I do like just because the controller is in my hand. I'm not one of those gamers who can only enjoy something once I've played it. Plenty of people dont enjoy something if they're watching it. I'm the opposite. Before I had a C64 I used to watch my friend play his consoles and PC games all the time. If its entertaining its entertaining. I dont need to play it myself to know I wont enjoy it after watching it. Recent example of a friend trying to tell me otherwise was Dead Space. It looked fairly bland and boring to me. He hassled me to play it, and I came away loathing the game after 7 hours.

You dont need to play a game to know if you wont like it after watching it. At least this rule works for me as I have never ever enjoyed a game that I thought didnt look good and then changed my mind after picking it up. When it comes to action games like this you pretty much know after a trailer if you are interested in the game or not. Once you watch the game in motion for a while, and by a while I mean well over an hour, that should be well enough time to form an opinion of the game. Especially if its an fps.


Quote:
Originally Posted by darren316 View Post
its not an excuse .. for me id rather go to a bar and meet people than pretend. guess what id rather buy a house than pretend as well . i don't like that kinda game .. i'v played it didn't like it .. deal with it


enough to know i dont like the genre /end/


not its not rubbish .. its UTTER rubbish .. to suggest because i follow Spurs i MUST like a mgmt footy game .. LOL .. utter utter rubbish
Again, everything you say I completely and totally disagree with and gave examples of why which you just basically backhand. Yet I'm the one who isnt allowed to not have an opinion of a game after watching it for a few hours after the things you just put forth? Laughable mate.
Alucard is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-2012, 10:10 AM   #25
darren
... lol
 
darren's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2006
Location: Ippy O Switch, UK
Posts: 11,806
Quote:
You dont need to play a game to know if you wont like it after watching it
no you dont, but thats different from saying its festering shit.
__________________
Currently playing : Mass Effect 3
Playing next : Tales of the Abyss
Waiting on : Diablo 3
XBL Herr Lip Steam Butters' Bottom Bitch (http://steamcommunity.com/id/buttersbottombitch)
darren is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-2012, 10:15 AM   #26
KingOfSentinels
Kossy
 
KingOfSentinels's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2009
Location: Engrand.
Posts: 5,704
I'm not asking you to play it. But fobbing off my liking of the game when you haven't even played it yourself was just what I thought was a bit off. If you don't like the look of it, don't play it, and that's fine, I do the same with the Sims going off my personal opinion of it's first game, but you're not in a position to say how good or bad it actually is until you've had a good play around with it. That's why I like Kotaku reviews, since they only publish them 10 days after release so there's enough time to finish it and give a good opinion.

Also, I wish football would take a leaf out of rugby's group. You can hear the referee and exactly what he's saying, they've got cameras so if there's a dispute it can be solved rather than in football it's whether or not the retard referee saw it.
__________________
Currently Playing
'Too lazy to keep updating'
KingOfSentinels is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-2012, 10:20 AM   #27
Alucard
Registered User
 
Alucard's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2002
Location: Australia
Posts: 32,625
Sadly wont happen because the people that run football are idiots.

Again, you cant make an opinion of the third game by playing only the first game as they are so completely different in evolution. You wont play a game that doesnt look good to you because in your opinion it doesnt look good for you. Thats no different to saying it looks shit. Its the exact same thing. You wont play it because it doesnt look good to you. Being nice about it doesnt change that your opinion of whatever game is negative. I just say it looks shit because its easier to do.

How many movies have you watched a trailer and went looool looks like shit. Same thing. Although a movie is different since you cant judge it by a trailer. But how many have you done that for though and not watched it? No different to a game. Its like starting a tv show or movie and halfway through deciding omg this is crap and stopping. Same goes for gaming to me.
Alucard is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-2012, 10:41 AM   #28
darren
... lol
 
darren's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2006
Location: Ippy O Switch, UK
Posts: 11,806
Quote:
Originally Posted by Alucard View Post
How many movies have you watched a trailer and went looool looks like shit. .
LOOKS and IS are very different words
__________________
Currently playing : Mass Effect 3
Playing next : Tales of the Abyss
Waiting on : Diablo 3
XBL Herr Lip Steam Butters' Bottom Bitch (http://steamcommunity.com/id/buttersbottombitch)
darren is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-2012, 10:42 AM   #29
KingOfSentinels
Kossy
 
KingOfSentinels's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2009
Location: Engrand.
Posts: 5,704
I wouldn't go out and play a game that doesn't look good, and wouldn't with a movie either, and I'm not saying you do that with Syndicate; but I would never just write the game off completely by the look of it. I'm not going to go out and buy Sims 3 but if it was cheap on a Steam sale or something I'd still go for it. I wouldn't say "IT'S SHIT" or something like that until I've played it at least. And I haven't, if you've noticed.

Same with a movie. Trailer doesn't look good, I'd ignore it but not say it's shit until I watch it. If it was on TV a year later I'd watch it still, and make up my mind after that. Lots of stuff with shit trailers end up good. And lots with shit trailers end up shit too, but I've only said they're shit after watching them, or watching as much of them as I can (Resi movies) before saying that.

And yes, it's just that one old guy who heads the football who refuses to add cameras at the goal lines and shit like that. He's the Michael Atkinson of football.

Quote:
Originally Posted by darren316
LOOKS and IS are very different words
Yeah, that's what I've been saying basically.
__________________
Currently Playing
'Too lazy to keep updating'
KingOfSentinels is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-2012, 11:04 AM   #30
Alucard
Registered User
 
Alucard's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2002
Location: Australia
Posts: 32,625
Basically you're saying my opinion of syndicate would only be viable if I played it from beginning to end, and even then my shit label would be incorrect because other people like it. Thats pretty much what it boils down to. You like the game thats cool. To me it would go in my shit pile. And there is no way you would watch a movie if you thought the trailer looked back for your tastes. No chance in hell unless you were horribly bored. And Sims 3 is on sale. Bu tit depends on how cheap you'd want to get the game for.
Alucard is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Forum Jump


All times are GMT -4. The time now is 05:49 PM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.7.4
Copyright ©2000 - 2019, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.