The MagicBox Forums  

Go Back   The MagicBox Forums > General Topics > PC / Games / Internets Discussion

Old 11-10-2009, 11:45 AM   #1
shaselai
RPG Fanboy

Pc or laptop upgrade?

Currently my pc is kinda old - i think it is like 4 years old dell dimension desktop. I am thinking of either getting a new desktop or laptop with some gaming into it - starcraft 2 and diablo 3 are on my mind right now. I understand that desktop will almost always be better than laptop in terms of equal money spent on it. I dont travel much but i know when i do travel i have to mess around with my 9 year old ibm thinkpad t20 and its not fun... So is it better to get a laptop if i dont do heavy gaming (since many top name pc games going to console and diablo3/starcraft 2 never been that graphics intensive) or i should just get a desktop?

And how long do laptop graphics card go obsolete?
i am kinda interested in this deal:
http://slickdeals.net/permadeal/26170
Connect With Facebook to "Like" This Thread

Old 11-10-2009, 11:53 AM   #2
Seraph
>:3

The best advice I can give you if you are looking to play those games is to wait and only upgrade if you really can't stand what you currently have.

I really want to play Diablo 3 and was pricing out a machine that could do so. But then it occurred to me, with as fast as technology moves the $500 I was looking to spend could buy me much more PC when the game was actually out. Meaning it's silly to upgrade now to prepare for games so far away.

Do what I'm doing, just wait till the games come out and then upgrade.
Seraph is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-10-2009, 11:54 AM   #3
darren
... lol

i agree with Seraph if you can wait till the games you want are out you will get more for your money
XBL Herr Lip Steam Butters' Bottom Bitch (http://steamcommunity.com/id/buttersbottombitch)
darren is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-10-2009, 11:57 AM   #4
shaselai
RPG Fanboy

if i know the specs of the 2 games i mentioned what would be good decision to judge which one to buy at that point?
Old 11-10-2009, 12:02 PM   #5
Seraph
>:3

Alucard and the PC crew could help you more when the time comes. They are usually up to date on what is the best bang for buck.

The rate at which PC hardware changes and drops in price makes the DS & PSP's yearly hardware refreshes seem conservative. If you buy now you can start having "I should have just waited" moments not even a month afterwards.

Diablo 3 especially since I'm not even sure thats due out next year, it might be a 2011 title.
Seraph is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-10-2009, 03:22 PM   #6
Alucard

Yeah what seraph says, wait for the games to come out because there will be benchmarks out that show how the game performs on multiple video cards so you can choose the best price/performance you want. Give a yell on here when you're ready to upgrade.
Alucard is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-11-2009, 02:46 PM   #7
shaselai
RPG Fanboy

http://slickdeals.net/forums/showthread.php?t=1655999

i took bite on that offer. I think it is pretty decent deal for what it offers. upgraded to G240M and total comes to 640$. The better graphics cards from other laptops has their value double or even triple this price so not that bad at all. I wont cry if i cant play those blizzard games but i think the laptop will last a while..... or should i cancel asap....???
Old 11-11-2009, 04:03 PM   #8
Alucard

For what it is the laptops very good. Should play alot of games at medium smoothly and some others at max. I dont think you'll have any problem playing games like Torchlight or Diablo 3 at max. Or at the very least medium.

But yeah its a laptop which means you're not going to be upgrading it ever. But definitely good deal with the discount for what it is. Lenovo is an excellent brand also.
Old 12-19-2009, 08:31 PM   #9
shaselai
RPG Fanboy

just setup the laptop... reporting in from it . it is running great. Screen looks very nice. Windows 7 seems to be OK but i cant believe they dont allow downloading language packs till more pricier version... kinda ripoff heh.
Old 12-19-2009, 09:13 PM   #10
Alucard

Awesome. Look forward to hearing how it performs.