The MagicBox Forums  

Go Back   The MagicBox Forums > General Topics > PC / Games / Internets Discussion

Old 12-10-2005, 04:29 AM   #1
Alucard

Source Engine and new effects

This ones a bit tricky to post because theres stacks of info here and also quite a few large clips to download that show before and after types. The new effects the article talks about and shows are Depth of Field, Motion Blur, depth and motion together, film grain, and colour correction. You might think w00t and then walk off thinking they arent that impressive sounding. Ofcourse the clips will show you exactly what they're talking about. And also the article will blah about it some too.

http://www.bit-tech.net/gaming/2005/...effects/1.html
Alucard is offline   Reply With Quote
Connect With Facebook to "Like" This Thread

Old 12-10-2005, 09:35 AM   #2
FoolishOne9k2
Don't Hax Me Mr. Mod

but i already thought DoD source was good enough....

but will it really matter? i mean all you do is point, click, and watch hot metal go through some guys skull.
i dont really care if the wall next to me is "realistic" as long as it stops that sniper from shooting me.
FoolishOne9k2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-10-2005, 10:55 AM   #3
Alucard

Oh it'll matter once you play with everything. Its like when they said whats the use of HDR. You throw all these into the game and you'll notice it and appreciate it!
Old 12-10-2005, 01:18 PM   #4
QECocoa

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alucard
This ones a bit tricky to post because theres stacks of info here and also quite a few large clips to download that show before and after types. The new effects the article talks about and shows are Depth of Field, Motion Blur, depth and motion together, film grain, and colour correction. You might think w00t and then walk off thinking they arent that impressive sounding. Ofcourse the clips will show you exactly what they're talking about. And also the article will blah about it some too.

http://www.bit-tech.net/gaming/2005/...effects/1.html
throw in realtime radiosity/global illumination and fluid simulations then i would be truly impressed , although it doesnt seem too far off from where things are going. :cool guy:

but might as well .. w00t
QECocoa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-10-2005, 03:09 PM   #5
Decado

I guess this is cool stuff. If the engine keeps evolving perhaps companies that are making games and distributing them via steam won't have to use a new engine anytime soon.
Decado is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-10-2005, 06:05 PM   #6
Xero
Sleep deprived...

Wow this is impressive. Hows Day of Defeat: Source in comparison to Call of Duty 2? Which is better so far? I've been playing Call of Duty 2 mainly for its cinematic 'story-mode', but the pics in that article looks like its much better graphically (I just love the Source engine so much because of its flexibility) than Call of Duty 2.
Crysis.
PSN: XeroPSN, Xbox Live: XeroLive
Xero is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-11-2005, 04:08 AM   #7
Alucard

Day of defeat is only a mulitplayer experience, like counter strike. Its pretty cool, but weird if you arent used to it. Speed is kinda fast. The spawning after you die happens straight away sorta like in Battlefield. I'm more of a CS person myself though.
Old 12-11-2005, 06:54 PM   #8
Xero
Sleep deprived...

Awww it doesn't have a 'story-mode' thingy? Well I play CS alone sometimes so maybe i'll like this. Thanks anyways Alucard~
Crysis.
Old 12-12-2005, 12:04 AM   #9
Alucard

Alone? I'm guessing you dont have broadband or something?
Old 12-12-2005, 03:07 AM   #10
spider-prime
NOW IN CINEMAPHONIC QUADROVISION!

Location: I hated going to weddings cause all the grandmas would poke me saying "you're next, you're next". They stopped saying that when I did it to them at Funerals.
yeah HDR is awesome! I love it, but I turn it off during maps like Nuke

cause oh crap, the glare! I look up and and then the sunlight is in my eyes from the game and I can't see people on the side of the building but they can see me cause the sun in the game isn't in their eyes! hahaha

it truly is a awesome feature.
spider-prime is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-12-2005, 05:22 PM   #11
Xero
Sleep deprived...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alucard
Alone? I'm guessing you dont have broadband or something?
Yeah unfortunately im on 56k... I only play CS multiplayer at a friend's house. I can't have DSL because there's something wrong with my home's phone lines. Until that gets fixed, I shall play alone... lol.
Crysis.
Old 12-12-2005, 09:12 PM   #12
Anthrax

Quote:
Originally Posted by spider-prime
yeah HDR is awesome! I love it, but I turn it off during maps like Nuke
Nuke as is cs_nuke? I don't recalling CS:Source had Full HDR or HDR-Bloom. Then again, I haven't touched CS:S for over year.
Anthrax is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-12-2005, 09:22 PM   #13
Alucard

Quote:
Originally Posted by Xero_0
Yeah unfortunately im on 56k... I only play CS multiplayer at a friend's house. I can't have DSL because there's something wrong with my home's phone lines. Until that gets fixed, I shall play alone... lol.
Lift a gear son! You NEED broadband! Lord knows it would save money on dialup costs.
Old 12-13-2005, 03:12 AM   #14
spider-prime
NOW IN CINEMAPHONIC QUADROVISION!

Location: I hated going to weddings cause all the grandmas would poke me saying "you're next, you're next". They stopped saying that when I did it to them at Funerals.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Anthrax
Nuke as is cs_nuke? I don't recalling CS:Source had Full HDR or HDR-Bloom. Then again, I haven't touched CS:S for over year.
no as in de_nuke hehe yeah its a new map and its the first map that uses HDR.

Try it out, its a awesome remake, I knife so many people on it, SOOOO many new spots to hide! I LOVE IT>!
spider-prime is offline   Reply With Quote