The MagicBox Forums  

Go Back   The MagicBox Forums > General Topics > PC / Games / Internets Discussion

Old 12-14-2005, 05:40 PM   #1
BlindMaphisto
DANGER-HUMAN

PC gaming is a pain in the ass.

I install battlefield 1942. Try to play it, need an update, get the update, go on gamespy, launch into a game and get kicked from server, must enable punkbuster. Try again, Map not found, try again, game disappears after map loading screen. Does this every time. Don't know what to do then I remember why I haven't played pc games in a long time.

I'd uninstall the damn game but it's yet more time waisted. I've already spent 20 minutes trying to get into a game fruitlessly.

Anybody have any clue why this is happening?

Old 12-14-2005, 06:12 PM   #2
Nykad

pc gaming isnt a pain in the ass. EA gaming is. The BF series are good games but they have been known to have bugs in them. I've found punkbuster for BF1942 and BFV to be a PITA.
Nykad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-14-2005, 07:47 PM   #3
Alucard

Yes, EA are retards. But you need to remember that games made SOLELY for online, like BF, get something that console games dont...they get updated often. Theres new maps and new patches to improve the game. So since 1942 has been out for a few years, you're going to expect alot of updates in one go. Head off to the main 1942 site and download any patches they got, including map packs. If you play these sorts of games when they've just come out then you wont notice the patching.

I reinstalled Counter striker Source yesterday since I got my PC up and running after the upgrade. I had to install a crap load of patches/maps that they've release since the game was released. Took about half hour but thats nothing since I was finishing off FEAR.
Alucard is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-14-2005, 08:29 PM   #4
BlindMaphisto
DANGER-HUMAN

Thing is I think I installed the latest update. I figured out how to tell if I have the map or not. Easy enough to avoid maps I don't have but when the game gets to the end of the loading map screen The game eats itself. It's pissing me off because it's the only pc game I own I actually feel like playing.
Old 12-14-2005, 10:16 PM   #5
Alucard

Eats itself? Whats it actually doing and when does it do it?
Old 12-15-2005, 07:35 AM   #6
BlindMaphisto
DANGER-HUMAN

That's the expression that used to get used in this mmo I used to play a long time ago. Anyway it connects to the server and goes to the loading map screen. After the bar is full the game completly disappears without an error message. Nothing in Alt+tab and nothing running in the background.
Old 12-15-2005, 07:52 AM   #7
Alucard

Ah, so the game crashes. What video card drivers do you have installed? And what video card too?
Old 12-15-2005, 08:23 AM   #8
Escaflowne2001
... ... ... ...

Buy Battlefield on the PS2, put the disc in switch it on and play. ;)
Escaflowne2001 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-15-2005, 01:23 PM   #9
Alucard

bah! I had none of these problems he's having and neither did any of my friends. How about you go play king kong on the 360! Theres a good lad!
Old 12-15-2005, 04:00 PM   #10
BlindMaphisto
DANGER-HUMAN

Battlefield 2 for the xbox is actually what made me want to play it. I was playing it on xbox live for the longest time but they shut down the demo servers.

The video card I'm not sure on. It's been awhile since I thought about it so naturally I can't remember exacly but it's an Nvidia card 5200 or 5600 something.

I'm gonna try downloading there unified driver package and see if I have any luck.
Old 12-15-2005, 04:15 PM   #11
Alucard

All you should have to do is go to nvidias site and download the XP drivers. They should be something like Detonator 81.95 or whatever. Then UNINSTALL your current drivers through the add/remove programs option. Reboot PC, and cancel each message you get saying its detected new hardware. Then install the new drivers. Reset.

The closing down just sounds like a driver issue. Also that 5600...its kinda weak. Though you're working on a laptop arent you?
Old 12-15-2005, 08:18 PM   #12
BlindMaphisto
DANGER-HUMAN

Nah regular pc.

It worked by the way. I just installed the new drivers. Didn't bother uninstalling what was there allready. Working good so far. BF1942 runs good on it but the maps take forever to load. I wish I could run Battlefield 2 that's what I really want to play though. Wonder how much a 3 gigahertz dual core 2g memory and a high end ATi would run me.

Btw what's the recomended on bf2? I saw the dvd pc version in the store the other day but it didn't have a single system requirement listed.
Old 12-16-2005, 03:52 AM   #13
Alucard

hmm... I played B2 on my PC before my BIG upgrade. My specs were 2100xp, 1gig ram, and a little over the top 6800GT video card. It ran surprisingly well with details on medium. I was a bit shocked. The video card is around...say $280. But thats the most expensive part.2100xp is SERIOUSLY out of date crap. They're like $70. Ram, well we all know it depends on whether you want high latency or not. Bu tnormal ram is pretty cheap for 1gig.

I dont think you can get a dual core 3gig cpu. The dual cores seem to begin at 3800+ and onwards. and they're about $300 which is isnt too bad considering. Though you can get away with a lovely 3500+, which is what I have, which go for about $200. I dont know if you'd have the spare money for a 6800GT, because doing a FULL upgrade is kinda costly. The trick is replacing one or two parts every couple years and that way it ends up being quite inexpensive. Chances you'll need to upgrade your motherboard too so you can use the new 939 cpus, which are everything above a 3200 I think.

Strange thing about video cards is the new PCI-E cards are cheaper. Mines an AGP at 280, the PCI-E, which are the new format, are about $240. Big difference there I'm sure you'd agree. Same performance too. Ofcourse this sort of card will play majority of games at full detail, requiring your cpu is lovely and 3500 or above, at full detail for the next couple years . Ofcourse using shadows in a game is a bit different. They are a system resource WHORE, so we generally put them on low or off. Especially any game with 'Soft Shadows' as an option. Thats just screaming for death unless you have a super sonic PC. Otherwise you can probably get away with a 6800 GS, I think they're called. Almost the same power as a GT, but like around $180. Definately a good direction if you cant afford much.

Ah, but you wanted ATI. I'd recommend going for the nVidia instead. To be fair they're cheaper then the ATI counterparts and actually perform better on MOST game engines. But to be fair the difference isnt really huge between 90% of the games out there, and ATI doesnt have the GLORIOUS Digital Vibrance option in the colour setup. That alone is the reason I even buy nvidia cards.
Old 12-16-2005, 10:18 AM   #14
BlindMaphisto
DANGER-HUMAN

Yeah first thing I would have to upgrade is my Motherboard. It's limited to 4x Agp so I'm not even getting all I can out of my card. I figure I'll wait till next year and get a motherboard/cpu/heatsink/ram combo and then see what video cards are available. I wanted an Ati because I used to have an All in Wonder and you can use those to record tv which would be handy. I might just get a seperate card for that depending on the reviews I read next year. Ultimatly what I want is a setup that will run Oblivian on full detail without frame skipping. I'll actually probably get in on the xbox just because I like the acheivements system on 360 but it would be nice to play with or even try rolling my own mods.
Old 12-16-2005, 10:45 AM   #15
Alucard

I dunno what specs you'll need for that.. Come march/april I'll tell you how it runs on mine. Fucking 360 delaying my game. Not pleased.