The MagicBox Forums  

Go Back   The MagicBox Forums > General Topics > General Gaming Discussion

Old 10-17-2019, 11:05 AM   #1
Rubeus

The Best Retro Console Creators Are Making A Game Boy

Not sure if it it just me but Game Boy games are the only type classic games that I don't want to go back to, they don't really have the same nostalgic sense as NES or SNES, in fact I don't miss any GB games.

Click for full size

Quote:
The Best Retro Console Creators Are Making A Game Boy

Having crafted three outstanding high-end, high-definition retro consoles based on the NES, Super NES, and Sega Genesis hardware, Analogue is going portable. Launching in 2020, the Analogue Pocket is a $200 handheld gaming system that plays Game Boy, Game Boy Color, Game Boy Advance games and more on a 3.5 inch 1600x1440 pixel display. Itís also a music synthesizer and a game development platform. Itís a lot.

Like the Analogue NT, Super NT, and Mega SG retro consoles, the Analogue Pocket does not play games via software emulation. It utilizes an FPGA, or field-programmable gate array chip, to simulate the original game systems at a hardware level. Rather than being interpreted through software, which can result in all sorts of sound and visual inaccuracies, the Analogue NT effectively is a Game Boy, Game Boy Color, and Game Boy Advance. And since the FPGA is so versatile, the Analogue Pocket will also be able to use adapters to run games from other handheld systems, including the Game Gear, Neo Geo Pocket, and Atari Lynx.

The Analogue Pocket will replicate the hardware of original handheld consoles, but also enhance it. Its 3.5 inch, 615 pixels-per-inch, 1600x1440 LED display is 10 times the resolution of the original Game Boy. Itís the most advanced screen thatís ever graced a dedicated gaming handheld. Itís got stereo speakers, an SD card slot, a rechargeable lithium ion battery, and even includes an original Game Boy link port, in case you want to break out The Legend of Zelda: Four Swords Adventures.

Click for full size

The Analogue NT does not have an HDMI out port, but it does have an optional dock that allows it to play on a big screen. Thereís also a pair of USB ports for wired controllers and Bluetooth for wireless. The price is TBD.

Along with playing games, the Analogue Pocket comes with a built in audio workstation called Nanoloop, a synthesizer and sequencer built for music creation and live performance. Analogue has even included a secondary FPGA so developers can develop and port their own work to the handheld. Basically, once the Analogue Pocket is in the hands of users, itís going to get even better.

Click for full size

I recently purchased Analogueís Super Nintendo and Sega Genesis consoles, the Super NT and Mega SG, and Iíve been completely blown away by both. I have plenty of devices and gizmos capable of retro emulation, but nothing compares to way Analogueís consoles elevate classic games. Iíve got a drawer full of Game Boy games ready to be inside the Analogue Pocket when it launches next year.

https://kotaku.com/the-best-retro-co...boy-1839095069
Rubeus is offline   Reply With Quote
Connect With Facebook to "Like" This Thread

Old 10-18-2019, 12:21 AM   #2
spider-prime
NOW IN CINEMAPHONIC QUADROVISION!

Location: I hated going to weddings cause all the grandmas would poke me saying "you're next, you're next". They stopped saying that when I did it to them at Funerals.
I really want this more than the other consoles they made, mostly cause it's made to play other handheld games also. Plus, my Game Gear died and my Gameboy color's speaker died also. So getting this would be awesome to replace those with.
spider-prime is offline   Reply With Quote