The MagicBox Forums  

Go Back   The MagicBox Forums > General Topics > PC / Games / Internets Discussion

Old 03-19-2019, 02:16 AM   #1
Rubeus

NVIDIA's $99 Jetson Nano is an AI computer for DIY enthusiasts

This completely kills/replaces the Raspberry Pi.

Click for full size

Quote:

NVIDIA's $99 Jetson Nano is an AI computer for DIY enthusiasts
You could build your own robot without spending a fortune.

Sophisticated AI generally isn't an option for homebrew devices when the mini computers can rarely handle much more than the basics. NVIDIA thinks it can do better -- it's unveiling an entry-level AI computer, the Jetson Nano, that's aimed at "developers, makers and enthusiasts." NVIDIA claims that the Nano's 128-core Maxwell-based GPU and quad-core ARM A57 processor can deliver 472 gigaflops of processing power for neural networks, high-res sensors and other robotics features while still consuming a miserly 5W. On the surface, at least, it could hit the sweet spot if you're looking to build your own robot or smart speaker.

The kit can run Linux out of the box, and supports a raft of AI frameworks (including, of course, NVIDIA's own). It comes equipped with 4GB of RAM, gigabit Ethernet and the I/O you'd need for cameras and other attachments.

Price, unsurprisingly, is the main hook. While the Nano isn't nearly as powerful as higher-end Jetson models, it's available now at $99 for individuals and $129 for "production-ready" units destined for companies. That puts it within range of hobbyists, inventors and students who are willing to spend a bit more (but only a bit more) to create their own automated devices.

https://www.engadget.com/2019/03/18/...o-ai-computer/
Rubeus is offline   Reply With Quote
Connect With Facebook to "Like" This Thread

Old 03-19-2019, 03:50 AM   #2
spider-prime
NOW IN CINEMAPHONIC QUADROVISION!

Location: I hated going to weddings cause all the grandmas would poke me saying "you're next, you're next". They stopped saying that when I did it to them at Funerals.
neat, wonder what the retro/emulation crowd will do with this.
spider-prime is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-30-2019, 02:20 PM   #3
BlindMaphisto
DANGER-HUMAN

Quote:
Originally Posted by spider-prime View Post
neat, wonder what the retro/emulation crowd will do with this.
Asking the important questions.
When life gives you lemons? Don't make lemonade. Make life take the lemons back! Get mad! 'I don't want your damn lemons! What am I supposed to do with these?' Demand to see life's manager! Make life rue the day it thought it could give Cave Johnson lemons! Do you know who I am? I'm the man who's going to burn your house down! With the lemons! I'm going to get my engineers to invent a combustible lemon that burns your house down!"
BlindMaphisto is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-30-2019, 03:52 PM   #4
spider-prime

Location: I hated going to weddings cause all the grandmas would poke me saying "you're next, you're next". They stopped saying that when I did it to them at Funerals.
I love the single board computer stuff people do with them, I have a pi I used for emulation, but I'm planning on making a arcade cabinet to put it in when I have more space and time to do it. Going to be awesome! Going to make the Sega Spider-man cabinet from the early 90s.
Old 03-30-2019, 09:05 PM   #5
BlindMaphisto
DANGER-HUMAN

Never played with a Pi before. Do you use Retroarch? That's pretty much become the only one I bother with these days unless I have a sudden urge to play something a little more modern. I even had RA on my switch and I hear you will be able to put it on an xboxone soon and it won't need to be jail broken.
When life gives you lemons? Don't make lemonade. Make life take the lemons back! Get mad! 'I don't want your damn lemons! What am I supposed to do with these?' Demand to see life's manager! Make life rue the day it thought it could give Cave Johnson lemons! Do you know who I am? I'm the man who's going to burn your house down! With the lemons! I'm going to get my engineers to invent a combustible lemon that burns your house down!"
Old 03-31-2019, 12:08 AM   #6
spider-prime

yup, use it with retropie.

But, I've been thinking of buying some everdrives and a pandora box 6, the Pandora box for arcade games and the everdrives for the consoles. Read those are awesome for the older systems since the roms are running on original hardware, so games like on the N64 will run a lot better than the shitty emulators on the PC.

Can't wait for the Switch to be fully modded for homebrew and emulators since it will be one of the best systems to emulate games from, mostly cause of Wii games, cause they still have the motion controls out of the box and the portable screen will make playing handheld roms better. Since the resolution won't be so huge. Playing Gameboy games on the big screen is awful looking.

But right now, I'm in the process of making backups of all my disc based games, so I can play them over the computer or other devices. Plus, they won't last forever, disc rot will hit them allllllllll. So I really want backups that are mine and not downloaded from the internet.
Old 03-31-2019, 11:55 AM   #7
BlindMaphisto
DANGER-HUMAN

Quote:
Originally Posted by spider-prime View Post
yup, use it with retropie.

But, I've been thinking of buying some everdrives and a pandora box 6, the Pandora box for arcade games and the everdrives for the consoles. Read those are awesome for the older systems since the roms are running on original hardware, so games like on the N64 will run a lot better than the shitty emulators on the PC.

Can't wait for the Switch to be fully modded for homebrew and emulators since it will be one of the best systems to emulate games from, mostly cause of Wii games, cause they still have the motion controls out of the box and the portable screen will make playing handheld roms better. Since the resolution won't be so huge. Playing Gameboy games on the big screen is awful looking.

But right now, I'm in the process of making backups of all my disc based games, so I can play them over the computer or other devices. Plus, they won't last forever, disc rot will hit them allllllllll. So I really want backups that are mine and not downloaded from the internet.
Recently I found some old ps1 games that came in cardboard instead of the plastic cases that had deteriorated quite badly. Street Fighter Alpha and King's Field and am happy to report they ripped perfectly. King's field was released in 94 so that disc is either a quarter century old or near enough to it. I hope all my discs hold up so well.
Old 03-31-2019, 11:34 PM   #8
spider-prime

It's around a 30 year life span, if you're lucky if it doesn't happen before that. I haven't had it happen yet, I only really found out about it when I was looking up ways to preserve the games so they last longer. The life span is even smaller if you play the disc a lot.
Old 04-03-2019, 04:52 PM   #9
BlindMaphisto
DANGER-HUMAN

Supposedly there are blurays that have a thousand year archive rating or some such. I've been thinking about getting some for Roms and the like.