The MagicBox Forums  

Go Back   The MagicBox Forums > General Topics > Community Board

Old 08-18-2006, 01:14 AM   #91
JBL
Aussie Gamer

Some more Pre-Match Rituals.

?Men in general are quick to believe that which they wish to be true.?
--Julius Caesar--

It?s puzzling?the confidence that emits from simple, repetitious tasks that have yielded success in the past. Perhaps even more perplexing is the line that separates routine and superstition. When exactly do quirks, crutches or habits transform into superstitions?

Baltimore Ravens guard Edwin Mulitalo prepares the same meal every Saturday night during the NFL football season: a turkey club sandwich and a cup of cream and crab soup; when Mike Hargrove, who is now the manager of Major League Baseball?s Seattle Mariners, was a player he earned the nickname ?The Human Rain Delay.? He would walk the first-base line and take three practice swings before stepping into the batter?s box. Then, once he got into the box, he?d perform a series of adjustments to his batting gloves, pants, sleeves, wipe his lips and push down on the top of his batting helmet before he felt he was in the right state of mind to bat. He repeated the routine after each pitch.

So, what types of pre-match rituals do sports-entertainers implement to give them peace of mind before a match?

This month, WWE.com is taking pre-match rituals to the extreme by asking ECW on Sci Fi?s Balls Mahoney, Sandman, Mick Foley ? in celebration of his visit to his old ECW stomping grounds ? and Tommy Dreamer to shed light on what they do to prepare for ECW warfare.

The demands from ECW fans are arguably the highest in sports-entertainment. Their fans are notorious for recognizing every slip, fall or missed high-risk maneuver. A few weeks ago, when SmackDown?s Batista showed up on ECW on Sci Fi, the fans were relentless in their verbal abuse towards the Animal. They chanted obscenities, threw garbage and demonstrated their overall lack of appreciation for someone who hasn?t been inducted to their ?EC-Dub? family. With this type of pressure behind every outing, what do the Extremists do to ensure they?re performing at the pinnacle of their abilities?

ECW Extremist Balls Mahoney
Basically, the headphones go on. I douse my body in water because I smell like a pig anyway. So I try to cool off a bit because I?m always so hyper. I mean, if you haven?t seen me before a match, it?s a pretty scary sight.

I shadowbox.

I punch walls.

I head butt walls.

I listen to hard, hard, hard music. Slayer, Slipknot,Type O Negativ, Pantera, Superjoy Ritual; what else? Cradle of Filth. I?m a huge Cradle of Filth fan. King Diamond. Anything that really gets the blood pumping. Lately it?s been Type O.

Basically, I just get myself into a state of rage, and I take all the frustrations of my life out. It?s a pretty insane sight, and I hope they don?t film it because I think some kids wouldn't approach me anymore.
--------------------------------

ECW Extremist Sandman

A couple cocktails. A Long Island iced tea starting out at maybe two or one -- and three o?clock is usually tea time. And then I?ll switch over to beer. I?ll get through maybe another 12-pack before I hit the ring.

I smash a couple beers over my head. I smoke a pack of Camels, non-filtered.
------------------------

RAW Superstar and ECW Alum Mick Foley
This is a ritual ? a sporadic ritual ? in that some of the greatest and most barbaric matches of my career have all had one thing in common and that is I listen to ?Winter? by Tori Amos before the matches and try to visualize scenes of complete and utter destruction. For those who know ?Winter,? it?s possibly the most beautiful song ever recorded. So, why it creates such horrific images in my mind may be a result of the many, many chairs that have bombarded my head over the years. But I know that following this past WrestleMania (22), Kane told me he saw me, and it scared him because I was trying so valiantly to get into the zone.

And I know that before the ECW on Sci Fi show I didn?t get into a zone; I didn?t prepare myself mentally. I didn?t listen to Tori Amos. And I still had a really good match. So, I am thinking instead of dedicating all of my pre-match energy to a sappy love song, I will instead just focus on what I?m gonna do to Ric Flair[at SummerSlam].

[On how this pre-match ritual came about] I came back in a no-rope barbed wire match with Terry Funk in Japan in 1995 in front of less than 150 people in a 40 degree gym. Despite the poor turnout, it was considered a very important match because the Japanese national media was there covering it. We felt that maybe there are only 150 fans in attendance, but that upwards of half a million would be reading about it, and we wanted to give them some pictures they would remember. So it was one of the best matches of my career, and maybe the one I?m proudest of because it was done in front of so few people, and it was done with such tenacity, and it really did help put our little promotion on the map. I think in large part it was due to the stimulation I got from the beautiful love song. I?ve also come up with strange interviews while listening to the soundtrack of Mary Poppins. The tuppence song, "Feed The Birds." So some guys have heavy metal that does it for them. I?m also thinking about going to the live version of Bruce Springsteen?s "Youngstown." I know in training for matches, that?s the one I go to that makes me actually believe I can be as good as I used to be. I just listened to it twice on the way to Charlottesville [RAW]. So, I?m not sure whether it?s going to be a musical night for me or not. But at this age, with my bad knees and all that, I need to become somebody else, and music usually does that for me.
-----------------------

ECW Extremist Tommy Dreamer
I say a special prayer before I go out.

I do 10 Hindu squats.

I lift my left leg up and then my right leg up, and I?m ready.
JBL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-20-2006, 10:57 PM   #92
JBL
Aussie Gamer

WWE Summerslam Results

1.Chavo Guerrero defeated Rey Mysterio by Pin.

Extreme Rules Match for the ECW Heavyweight Championship
2.Big Show defeated Sabu by Pin.

Legend Vs Legend Killer Match
3.Hulk Hogan defeated Randy Orton by Pin.

"I Quit" Match
4.Ric Flair defeated Mick Foley

World Heavyweight Championship
5.Batista defeated King Booker by DQ.

6.DX defeated Shane & Vince McMahon.

WWE Championship (If Edge gets DQ'd he will lose the WWE Championship)
7.Edge defeated John Cena by Pin, near the end of the match Lita gave Edge Bronze Knucks (I think thats the name for them), The Ref was trying to get Lita out of the ring, Edge hit Cena with the Knucks.
--------------
Not a good showing from Smackdown, only 2 matches compared to Raw's 4.
------------
It's going to be interesting to see how Raw use Jeff Hardy now that he's back.

Last edited by JBL; 08-20-2006 at 11:01 PM.
Old 08-21-2006, 08:46 AM   #93
Icarus4578
Deal with it.

Vince McMahon recently tried to do a storyline where he got Stephanie, his daughter, pregnant, but she refused. Vince tried to compromise ....by having it be Shane, her brother, instead, but she refused that storyline (angle), too.

Vince is stupid. No wonder his shows suck. I was watching ECW November to Remember '97 a couple of days ago and it totally beat the living crap out of everything they're doing nowadays.
Old 08-21-2006, 08:52 AM   #94
justin_credible

Quote:
Originally Posted by Icarus4578
Vince McMahon recently tried to do a storyline where he got Stephanie, his daughter, pregnant, but she refused. Vince tried to compromise ....by having it be Shane, her brother, instead, but she refused that storyline (angle), too.

Vince is stupid. No wonder his shows suck. I was watching ECW November to Remember '97 a couple of days ago and it totally beat the living crap out of everything they're doing nowadays.
DUPE!

Quote:
Originally Posted by justin_credible
Vince Wanted Incest Angle with Stephanie
Posted by Ashish on 08.17.2006

Believe it.

The new McMahons DVD features commentary from Stephanie McMahon where she says that she had to nix potential incest angles. According to her, Vince wanted himself to be revealed as the father of her baby and when she said no, he pushed for Shane to be revealed as the father. She turned that idea down also. She also said no to Vince's idea that her wedding to Triple H be aired on PPV.

Credit: PWInsider.com
justin_credible is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-22-2006, 01:20 AM   #95
JBL
Aussie Gamer

It's expected Rey Mysterio will be off for SmackDown for 6 months after his feud with Chavo Guerrero. Mysterio will be taking time off to get reconstructive knee surgery.
------------------------
Due to the start of the US Open tennis tournament next week, the WWE has announced that for one night only, Raw will be shown at the normal 9 p.m. start time next Monday on the Sci-Fi channel.

This is a great advantage for the WWE, who have always been forced to tape Raw and show it on a Saturday night in the past when they were on USA and tennis or the dog show pre-empted them. Now with the Sci-Fi channel benefiting from ECW, the WWE can use their channel to work around the pre-emptions on USA to make sure that they stay live every Monday night.
----------------------
WWE Raw Results

1.The Highlanders, Eugene & "Hacksaw" Jim Duggan defeated The Spirit Squad.

2.Trish Stratus defeated Victoria by Pin.

3.Jeff Hardy Vs Edge- No Contest.

Intercontinental Championship
4.Kane defeated Johnny Nitro by DQ.

5.Ric Flair defeated Randy Orton.
---------------------
Edge had Lita throw Cena's WWE Championship Spinner belt into the sea, he
then replaced it with his own Rated R Spinner belt.

Last edited by JBL; 08-22-2006 at 01:25 AM.
Old 08-25-2006, 08:03 PM   #96
justin_credible

WWE Releases Kurt Angle

WWE Releases Kurt Angle
Posted by Larry Csonka on 08.25.2006

Angle and WWE part ways for now.

From WWE.com:

Due to personal issues, Kurt Angle has been granted an early release from his contract. WWE looks forward to establishing a new relationship with Kurt in the near future.

The only Olympic gold medalist in WWE history, Kurt Angle arrived in 1999 and quickly became one of the most decorated champions in sports-entertainment history. "The Wrestling Machine" is not only a six-time World Champion, but also held the Intercontinental Championship and WWE Tag Team Championship; he also won the 2000 King of the Ring tournament. Recently joining ECW, Angle's unmatched intensity was rivaled only by his technical and athletic in-ring prowess.
justin_credible is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-26-2006, 01:26 AM   #97
JBL
Aussie Gamer

Superstar Show and Tell

Life on the road exposes WWE Superstars to more than just hundreds of miles of pot holes; their rigorous schedules allows them to gain access to many gems that may only be obtainable through the web or by sheer luck at a flea market. While some collector buffs amass numerous trinkets, gadgets, knickknacks and tchotckies in their quest to obtain as much ?stuff? as they can hoard, what do the WWE Superstars collect? Do they collect magnets, snow globes, coins? What are the items they simply can?t live without?

When WWE.com caught up with four WWE Superstars before a recent live event, their answers to the question regarding what they collect were surprising. Contrary to popular belief, the most common items weren?t stitches, bruises or black eyes.

SmackDown Superstars Rey Mysterio and Bobby Lashley confessed to buying as much cologne as they can stockpile; RAW Superstar Gene Snitsky and ECW Extremist Matt Striker are T-shirt buffs.

Rey Mysterio
When it comes time to purchase his cologne, Rey Mysterio prefers to extend outside the continental United States.

?Whether I?m in Australia, or Europe, or Japan or whatever, I try to pick something up,? said the former World Champion.

Mysterio said not all stops on WWE?s tour breed colognes worth purchasing. In fact, he warns anyone that ponders spritzing some Paco Rabanne on before leaving the house to rethink their decision.

?It?s old school?very old school,? he said.

But exotic fragrances aren?t all Mysterio has a passion for (save the armpit scent of Paco Rabanne). He also has a fixation with designer eyewear.

?I collect sunglasses; that?s another thing I?m addicted to,? he admitted. ?Between my wife and I, I?d say we have a total of 80 [pairs] of shades.?

The styles he has vary from over the top, gangster John Gotti-style to sporty Oakleys like an MLB outfielder.

?I was a big fan of Oakley. And ever since I started seeing the Chanels, the Guccis, the Pradas, the Bvlgaris, the Cartiers, and Versaces, I just pushed the Oakleys aside. Now, what do I do with my old Oakley shades?" he asked. ?Overseas has been my main cologne shopping theme right now. And I won?t just buy one [bottle].?

Bobby Lashley
Bobby Lashley shares Mysterio?s passion for the scents. The only difference is that Lashley isn't concerned with where his next bottle comes from.

?I just get them anywhere,? said the former United States Champion. ?I got one, and then I bought another one and I lost it; I just kept buying them and it just picked up. Cerruti is a really good one, and there?s another one that?s a non-synthetic brand called Cree that?s really awesome,? he said.

When it?s time to receive gifts, Lashley says his decision to collect cologne works to his advantage?citing that finding clothing to fit someone the size of a minivan isn?t an easy task.

?If you need to buy me a gift, just buy me a bottle of cologne. I?ve always told people, it?s something easy for me because [finding] clothes is hard,? he said.

Matt Striker
Smelling pleasant isn?t as important to your teacher, Matt Striker. He will gladly pass on the cologne for a new T-shirt.

If Matt Striker?s T-shirt collection is anywhere near the size of his ego, he?d possess enough clothes to outfit the crowd at WrestleMania III. As it turns out, he?s pushing his collection into the four digit category.

?[I have] a plethora; a cornucopia. I would say there?s got to be over a thousand T-shirts?most of them are in storage at my mother?s house in Queens, NY,? said the new ECW Extremist.

?One would think a man of my intellect would collect books, pencils, or perhaps neckties?but as a small child growing up in parts unknown, I had an affinity for T-shirts,? said Striker. ?I started out with wrestling T-shirts: the Outback Jack, the Porkchop Cash, the Austin Idol, the Superstar Bill Dundee T-shirt. But, as I?ve gotten older, I have tried to find some of these T-shirts on this thing that you call ?The Internet.?

The web has allowed collectors like Striker to access vintage shirts and clothing from around the world, but he still tries to pick up as many as possible during his travels.

?I go to many towns, cities, provinces, commonwealths and districts as well, and I like to procure T-shirts that are indigenous to the region,? he added. ?Normally I like them to be sport related, but now with mass marketing, you know, it floods the market, so that?s not that special to me anymore.?

Gene Snitsky
RAW Superstar Gene Snitsky is another avid T-shirt collector. He began gathering shirts in high school, but says that nowadays he doesn't spend any money on his hobby.

?I like to collect Gold?s Gym T-shirts, Hard Rock T-shirts, Planet Hollywood T-shirts and any T-shirt of a restaurant or a gym. I don?t pay for them, but I do get a T-shirt everywhere I go,? he said.

Like Striker, Snitsky?s collection of shirts has exceeded the capacity of the closet, and has grown to the point where a separate space is needed to house all of his acquired garb.

?I actually have storage boxes [of T-shirts] stashed in the attic that I don?t even wear,? said Snitsky. ?The Hooters shirts are usually my favorite because, obviously, everyone loves Hooters?the restaurant that is. I?m a foot guy myself, but most guys like hooters.?

Getting the free T-shirts is part of the fun for Snitsky, especially when he?s getting them from his favorite upscale eatery, Hooters.

?I?m infamous for sucking toes on the road, and what better place to suck toes than at Hooters?? said a genuine Snitsky. ?I do my thing, get to their toes and take a free T-shirt for my troubles. If I?m going to suck the sh*t out of your toes, I at least deserve a T-shirt.?
Old 08-27-2006, 01:36 AM   #98
JBL
Aussie Gamer

Kurt Angle comments on WWE release

Kurt Angle attributed his WWE departure, which he calls a mutual decision, to a need to heal his various injuries.

I need my body to reheal and rehab, I have done this for too long without a break. I haven?t been able to really enjoy my life. I haven?t seen my family, I?ve had problems with medication - I?m just fried physically and mentally," he tells WWE.com.

According to Kurt's manager David Hawk, Angle does not want to wrestle until he can do so without dependence on pain killers.

But when he does improve his mental and physical state, Angle says the door will be open for a WWE return.

?Vince says when I?m ready, if I?m ever ready, to come back just sign on the dotted line. I?ll tell you if I do return I?m going back to my roots, training on the mat like my amateur days. Longevity is the key," says Angle.
Old 08-27-2006, 10:53 AM   #99
Dr. Bombay
ificouldjustbemorehuman

It's wierd to hear about a WWE star that actually likes the WWE and is leaving for reasons not related to the administration.
~And The Lies There, The Scent Of It, Just Too Much~

~So Should You~
~Sow It Once and Make It Grow, The Sweet Clematis~
~Let It Flower, and Paint it All Of The Colors Old~
Instantly Things Fall and Fade, Return to Silence~
~Why Oh Why, Why Does It All Feel So Sorrowful?~
~Dreams Of What Is Real~
Dr. Bombay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-28-2006, 05:44 AM   #100
JBL
Aussie Gamer

Kurt Angle's colleagues comment on his release

A WWE.com article featured Kurt Angle's colleagues commenting on his release:

One word describes what WWE superstars and officials are feeling over Kurt Angle's release late last week from World Wrestling Entertainment: SHOCK.

"I was shocked, I just couldn't believe it," said former World Champion Rey Mysterio. "I go back a long way with Kurt, and this has really affected me. I hope he can get his issues straightened out. We all have issues with this lifestyle because it's not easy. I hope he keeps plugging away because I'd love to see him in the ring again someday."

ECW representative Paul Heyman, who has known Angle for years says, "This is the best thing for both parties. Kurt has spent his entire life driven to be the best at what he does. Kurt's body, however, could no longer preform to the level that he envisioned for himself. (Kurt) was prepared to drive himself into an early grave simply to live with himself striving to be No. 1. This is a recipe for catastrophe, and taking time off to get his mind and body in sync is the only way to deal with these issues."

Former World Heavyweight Champion Batista says he's shocked as well. "I know Kurt is passionate about wrestling, so for this to happen, something must be going on. I am worried about him; I hope he's ok."

Longtime friend and ECW producer Dean Malenko says, "This is a big loss. Kurt is irreplaceable. He goes 130-percent every night; he's one of the best wrestlers I've ever seen. People have to worry about their life first, and Kurt needs to get his head straight and get himself happy."

Chavo Guerrero says he still can't believe Kurt and WWE have agreed to part ways. "He's a machine; there has to be something else going on."
When told Angle was so banged up that he admitted he couldn't enter a wrestling ring without using prescription pain killers, Chavo said, "This isn't ballet. We all get banged up, but Kurt's a different animal; he doesn't know how to downshift into a lower gear. I wish him the best, I respect him and Kurt always has the Guerreros in his corner."

Ken Kennedy says, "I'm shocked, but I'm happy Kurt's doing what's right. He's been in a lot of pain, and hopefully this decision saved his life. It sucks because Kurt is good for this company. He's the most intense wrestler I have ever seen."

Will Kurt Angle ever return to a WWE ring? Only time will tell if the six-time champion can get his head and body back to where it needs to be. If and when that time comes, WWE Vice-President of talent relations John Laurinaitis says the door will always be open.

"We look forward to doing business with him again. Kurt is a great athlete and an even better person. He will be missed."
Old 08-28-2006, 08:12 AM   #101
Icarus4578
Deal with it.

I heard that there was a falling out between Kurt and WWE and that he's just saying that it was because of bodily injury rather than burn bridges by making light of a bad personal situation. He's simply not happy with their product and the way he's being underutilized.
Old 08-29-2006, 11:20 PM   #102
JBL
Aussie Gamer

For those wondering, Trish Stratus will indeed be taking time off after Unforgiven to get married and take a break from the wrestling business. Whether Stratus will actually return to WWE is at this point unknown.
---------------------
The Gymini look set to return to SmackDown pretty soon as Todd Shane has now been medically cleared for in-ring action.
--------------------
WWE Raw Results

1.John Cena defeated Chris Masters by DQ.

Paddle on a Pole Match
2.Candice Michelle defeated Torrie Wilson.

IC Championship No. 1 Contender Match
3.Jeff Hardy defeated Randy Orton by Pin, I'm glad they are using Jeff properly, i hope he wins the title.

World Tag Team Championship
4.Spirit Squad defeated "Hacksaw" Jim Duggan & Eugene.

Woman's Championship
5.Lita defeated Mickie James by Pin.

2-on-3 Handicap Match
6.DX defeated Mr Kennedy, William Regal & Finlay.
--------------------
Matches made for Unforgiven
Edge Vs John Cena- TLC match for the WWE Championship
DX Vs Vince & Shane McMahon & Big Show in a Hell in a Cell Match.
Old 08-31-2006, 07:40 AM   #103
Slash
BUTTOUT!

WWE Magazine conducted an interview with Triple H for the the October 2006 issue. He was asked about wrestling internet sites such as this one, Hulk Hogan, losing to the Ultimate Warrior at WrestleMania 12, old & new D-X, the "curtain call" incident, and much more. Here are a few quotes from the interview:

Q: Once and for all, say something to the wrestling websites that claim you're nothing but a power-mad, backstage dictator.

Triple H - I haven't read a dirt sheet in 10 years. And that's the damn truth. Yes I'm in a top position. Yes I'm married to the boss's daughter. Yes I sit in production meetings. But, at the end of the day, there is only one person with the stroke in this business. And that's Vince McMahon. If he doesn't like something , whether it's my idea or not, it's not going to happen. I want guys like John Cena around. I want to bring new guys up and help make them. People always accuse me of not wanting to drop the belt to a guy. That's complete crap. I didn't drop the belt to RVD because no one asked me to drop it to RVD. I've yet to see Hulk Hogan lose to anybody. He wrestles once every 6 months, and it doesn't matter if you're the biggest name in active competition today, he's not going to lose to you. There was suppose to be a Hogan/Michaels 2, and Hogan was supposed to lose. All of a sudden his knee starting "bugging" him.

Q: Since you were poised for a big break, does your embarrassing loss to the Ultimate Warrior at Wrestlemania 12 in 1996 still haunt you to this day?

Triple H - Do people really thing I thought I was going to beat the Ultimate Warrior? The fact of the matter is that he was a completely unprofessional dipsh*t. (Shawn Michaels Interjects: Don't talk about me like that!) That's what pisses me off about the match, not the fact that I lost.

Triple H comments on the internet one more time: "One more thing for the internet haters.... It all stems from people who have opinions about the business they've never been involved in. And they're the same people waiting outside for my autograph after the show."

http://rajah.com/base/node/6206
Slash is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-01-2006, 08:00 PM   #104
JBL
Aussie Gamer

As UFC's PPV buyrates continue to skyrocket, WWE has been facing increasing difficulty in obtaining pay-per-view orders, especially on a domestic level. If not for a strong increase in international PPV buys, the WWE buyrates would be dropping off noticeably.

WWE released buyrate information for recent PPVs in its quarterly earnings statement.

WWE Judgment Day: 231,000 (236,000 last year)
ECW One Night Stand: 280,000 (268,000 last year)
WWE Vengeance: 313,000 (320,000 last year)
WWE Great American Bash: 224,000 (233,000 last year)

It should be noted that WWE began charging $39.95 for its events with this year's "One Night Stand," compared to last year's $34.95 price tag.
------------------
WWE was the #3 most popular search term for the month of July on Yahoo, and on the day after SummerSlam it reached #1. As of Monday, WWE has been a top 20 search term for 113 consecutive days.
------------------
RVD and Sabu appeared today with their attorneys in
Ironton Municipal Court. RVD was found guilty of
possessing marijuana and was fined $100. Sabu was
found guilty of having prescription medication not
prescribed to him and was fined $500.

WSAZ, the local NBC station, showed video of the two
in court today as RVD and Sabu both flipped off the
camera.
------------------
Carlito is unhappy with his current status on the WWE roster, reports F4WOnline.com.

The WWE wrestler feels that while he should be nearing a main-event push, he's stuck in the middle of the card and in a romance storyline that does not play to his strengths.

According to one source, additional frustration comes from the fact that WWE officials actually tell the wrestler to "act like The Rock." Carlito feels that such an instruction will prevent him from breaking out as a top star.
Old 09-01-2006, 08:53 PM   #105
Ryan_Falco
Banned

Location: Vancouver, British Columbia, British Dominion of Canada
WWF is phony, stupid, and is gay because it involves sweaty men in tights , leather masks and chains and whips groping and rubbing against eachother. And after 6 hours of that homosexual snore fest, they stand up and scream scripted "conversation" to eachother, geting the drunken obese hillbillys in the audience to scream and whoop. :S Lame! And its not even real fighting so whats the point?! Gets boring after 6 seconds! Watch UFC Its real fighting, exciting, and its da bomb yo!

:kill: :kill: :kill: :kill: :kill:
Ryan_Falco is offline   Reply With Quote