The MagicBox Forums  

Go Back   The MagicBox Forums > General Topics > MagicBox Member Reviews

Old 04-30-2005, 04:53 PM   #76
Nem
Smash bro!

Lucky shot Well, i looked at the middle-east in the world map and it was the only tiny but interesting country i saw. Singapure was my guess for Asia. Who'd think id get it right

Do you import your games? Or do you have publishers over there?

Last edited by Nem; 04-30-2005 at 05:00 PM.
Nem is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-30-2005, 09:49 PM   #77
DJweez
Social Knight

Suikoden 2 a 10 out of 10.....that seems kinda high too me. Personally, I couldn't stand the translation.
DJweez is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-30-2005, 10:48 PM   #78
Nem
Smash bro!

By translation i guess you mean gramatical/ sense errors. Honestly, i didnt give them much importance. The game was great and i understood the story without any problems. So, the error here and there didnt kept me from enjoying this masterpiece. Im pretty confident the game deserves a 10. Of course one can question if a 10 means its a flawless game? I rate my games in enjoyment. So, if i give it a 10 its cause i had a blast with it, not necessarily cause its a flawless game. Its a given that it necessarily has to excel in certain areas though.
Old 04-30-2005, 11:20 PM   #79
DJweez
Social Knight

I wasn't under the impression that you thought it was flawlass, becasue obviously it isn't. It's just that the gramical errors were way to frequent, and it only got worse as you went along. When i'm reading the text, and I see things like @%$@^$@^, or different face portaits popping up when someone else is talking, it brings down the overall quality of the story. It just feels incredibly sloppy, and takes away some of the fun of reading an intersting story.
Old 05-01-2005, 06:26 AM   #80
Icarus4578
Deal with it.

DJweez ~ "I wasn't under the impression that you thought it was flawlass, becasue obviously it isn't. It's just that the gramical errors were way to frequent, and it only got worse as you went along. When i'm reading the text, and I see things like @%$@^$@^, or different face portaits popping up when someone else is talking, it brings down the overall quality of the story. It just feels incredibly sloppy, and takes away some of the fun of reading an intersting story."
Old 05-01-2005, 11:38 AM   #81
DJweez
Social Knight

I didn't see those .
Old 05-01-2005, 04:50 PM   #82
gearhound
Versus the World

yeah, just like nem didn't see them in suikoden 2...
Old 05-08-2005, 11:23 AM   #83
Nem
Smash bro!

After much contemplation i've decided to review Onimusha 3. I finally completed it last week but wasnt sure id want to review it.
Ill also review the first Naruto movie, eventually...

At the moment im playing Baten Kaitos for GC. Its an interesting game and it will also mark my first GC review . Im only 20 hours into it, so the review aint coming anytime soon

Last edited by Nem; 05-08-2005 at 11:34 AM.
Old 05-08-2005, 11:54 AM   #84
Paper exe
Pwnd

Because I like you I will brainwash you and give you an advice in the same time

Note I am serious when I say this.
Onimusha 3 opining was the opposite of cool in fact it was very embarrassing when I saw it I never felt so embarrassed in my life of playing games even playing Mickey Muse was much much cooler and when my mother came and saw me seeing the opining I felt so embarrassed I never felt embarrassed like this before except when my mother heard FF7 the final part of the last boss music I was so embarrassed I even I hide my face from her and I did not want to beat the game any more.

It was a real nightmare and I hope nothing like this happen again.

PS-by just remember it I can hardly breath now?..I swear it really happening to me??????..sorry I have to stop now I cannot breath!

Last edited by Paper exe; 05-08-2005 at 12:10 PM.
Paper exe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-2005, 11:59 AM   #85
Nem
Smash bro!

Paper your making your mother sound scary
I can say the opening sequence of O3 had great quality in a "crouching tiger hidden dragon" sort of way (silly but enjoyable). Yet my whole opinion isnt just this, you'll have to read the review to find out

Im making it right now, so it should be ready within the next hour or so.
Old 05-08-2005, 12:04 PM   #86
Paper exe
Pwnd

No no no it have nothing to do with my kind mother that never even hit me in here live and that give me what I want and treat me very kindly even thought we don't have a lot of money. :bigsmile:

I was just very embarrassed that all.
you saw the opinning and I think you know what I mean and you know how embarrassing it was right?

when she saw it she did not say anything neither did she care (I hope)

Last edited by Paper exe; 05-08-2005 at 12:15 PM.
Paper exe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-2005, 01:44 PM   #87
Nem
Smash bro!

Review: Game

Platform: Playstation 2

Genre: Action/Survival horror

Onimusha 3

The first Onimusha came out in the first year of the PS2's life. At the time, the best the Survival horror genre had to offer was Resident Evil: Code Veronica for Dreamcast wich was starting to feel somewhat dated in the playability area. Thus the "old japan" based Onimusha series that put you in the control of a sword wielding samurai was indeed a lump of fresh air for the genre.
Now, after the unbalanced Onimusha 2 and its boring "gift system" the series tried to go back to its action centered self with a time travel twist to make things more interesting. Turns out that Onimusha 3 came to feel much like RE:CV in its time and the series started to feel a bit stagnant in the playability department. Hopefully, O3 tried and even managed to counter these feelings with a few improvements. But in the end, its still there and you can see it.

Those rings are handy I tell you!

In the graphic department there was indeed an evolution in the series. Onimusha 1 & 2 featured 2D rendered backgrounds while Onimsha 3 makes the jump to full fledged 3D. And you know what? You can hardly notice the diference besides the now even better special effects. Of course, this was a magnificent accomplishment that many thought impossible. Capcom's 2nd development studio deserves praise for the work they did in this new engine.
The game will greet you with a grandiose intro filled with detail and action in a very "crouching tiger hidden dragon" type of film direction. Enjoy it, cause your only going to see another movie of this quality once more throughout the game and its going to be short. Yes, Capcom must've wasted all their budget in those two movies since the rest of the movies are made with the in-game engine but not in real time. Honestly, a clear unbalance in art direction. Capcom, you cant just fill up our hopes with that intro and then fail to deliver. Is Capcom learning things from EA? I hope not...

In the sound department things mantain its usual Onimusha quality. Tunes make the game more imersive and fit within the feel of the series. Maybe its me, but i just dont think things have changed much from Onimusha 1 even if the first one remains the more emersive experience to me. The voice acting is within what you'd expect of Capcom games by now. I never had a problem with RE cheese lines, so i aint gonna start now.

In Onimusha 3 we get to play with 4 different characters, 2 of them beeing main characters. Returning Samanosuke and debuting Jacques make their appearance based on real life actors. Of course Jacques is the easier to identify has Hollywood star "Jean Reno". Of course the characters are rendered perfectly and you can see that that would be how the real actors would look like if they were in a game. Anyways, in this story, Samanosuke and 2004's Jaques will travel in time changing places with each other. So, you will be playing with Samanosuke in 2004 and Jaques in "old Japan". Its a good start for a good story, but unfortunely the story turns out quite boring. For some reason Capcom didnt put Jean Reno in charge of his alter-ego english voice and thus things sound odd. Anyways, theres no escaping the reality that the storyline is of almost no consequence or interest. Actually one would think they would get a good twist out of time-traveling plot, but it seems it was all a lame excuse to bring Jean Reno into the game. And whats with the time passing in the present goes at the same time has time passing in the past? That would presume a different dimesion since the time on the past has already passed in the present. Honestly, i expected more... it wouldnt be so much of a problem if Capcom had bothered to create an interesting storyline, but thart wasnt the case.

Dino Crisis?! Regina where are you?

Finally, lets get to the games best and worst feature - playability. The Onimusha battle system makes a return in all its splendor. Things are even better now that you have some training lessons to learn every special move in the battle system. Samanosuke will get a new set of weapons (even though the old ones are still in the game) and Jacques will feature a completly new set of weapons based of long reach swords (think Yvy's Soul calibur weapon). The twist with Jaques is that asides from his set of weapons he can atach atach them to some flying rings to perform large leaps. That was in my opinion the best feature in the game. In most boss encounters Jacques would have a flying ring wich he could be use to rapidly leap from one side to the other side of the screen besides letting you perform a mid-air strike. Also, it made Jaques levels structure different from the usual Onimusha ones. Yes, the game with Jaques was that much better than with Samanusuke. Also towards the end of the game, Jacques story features a Dynasty Warriors inspired section that is a "must play". Too bad the final boss with Jacques was disgraceful. Indeed Jacques ending is has boring has it gets.
The game with Samanusuke was a reminder of other capcom survival horror titles. So much that it actually pained my experience. A sewer level that reeks of Resident Evil 2 and a Zoo section that reeks of Dino Crisis, especially when we get to control secondary character Michelle whose weapons and stance are the same ones used in Dino Crisis. It really makes you think that Onimusha's place is indeed in old Japan and not present day. Nevertheless boss encounters were still a blast to play through.
This whole time travel thing was used has a way to transport things throughout time to solve the puzzles. This task was accomplished by a fairy like character that aids you in your quest by always staying by your side and giving you extended abilities (like healing when your not moving, allowing you to make souls leak out of enemies before they die, etc.).
The game features lots of unlockable mini-games, outfits and weapons. It also includes a back story adventure with another secondary character - Heihachi. Great extras indeed. Good Job there Capcom.

All these twists actually helped you forget that the play system is starting to look slow and outdated compared to most recent games. I ached for a jump button throughout the adventure to help me move my character around since he moves so slowly. The fixed camera doesnt help has well making your running around seem even shorter and slower than it is and the fixed paths seem to be getting narrower by the minute. Honestly, the system is becoming outdated and i was afraid i was the only one seeing it. Thankfully the series creator also saw them and is adressing them in the upcoming "Onimusha Dawn of Dreams".
The fact with Onimusha 3 is that half the game is a joy to play (Jacques) and half the game isnt exactly what you were expecting. Its nevertheless a great gaming experience if you get get over the "Samanosuke" half of the game and the boring storyline. Unfortunely, i took 6 months to finish the game since those didnt appeal to me at all.
The onimusha series has to evolve and has to stay in "old japan" from now on. Onimusha 3 was a good twist, but it wasnt the Onimusha game i wanted it to be.

Rating 7/10

Last edited by Nem; 06-12-2005 at 12:22 AM.
Old 05-09-2005, 09:27 AM   #88
Icarus4578
Deal with it.

Those FMV cost Capcom a fortune to make, let alone the game. When I beat the game, I couldn't believe the list of people who worked on that game! I remember not even a decade ago when the staff roll was comprised of anywhere from 10-40 people. Nowadays, it's more like 100-200+.
Old 05-09-2005, 10:07 AM   #89
DeathStroke
Lone Wolf

I liked Onimusha 2 better and while the background graphics of Onimusha 3 are equivalent to the prerendered graphics of previous Onimusha games, the same can't be said for the character models. They were a step back IMO.

The opening movie rocks though. Such great choreography.
Old 05-09-2005, 01:07 PM   #90
Joe Redifer
Olé!

The very first Onimusha game worth playing! I hated the "tank" controls of the first two. I wanted to press the direction I want to run in, not worry about rotating my sorry ass around. Onimusha 3 is great. Parts 1 and 2 are turds.
Joe Redifer is offline   Reply With Quote