Go Back   The MagicBox Forums > General Topics > MagicBox Member Reviews

Old 03-11-2005, 06:08 PM   #16
Nem
Smash bro!

Review: Anime

26 episodes

Scryed

Synopsis

In the near future, an unexplained phenomenon has occured on a distant island called "The Lost Grounds", giving birth to a new species of human. These evolved humans, called Alter Users, can manipulate matter and reform (or alter) it into unique forms. On this remote island, those born inside a walled city are citizens, while everyone born outside live lawless lives in the badlands. In an attempt to keep the peace the police force HOLD along with the elite alter-user squad HOLY capture dangerous native alter users and offer them a choice... join HOLY or be imprisoned. After young native alter user Kazuma's run-in with HOLY, questions arise. Is HOLY really interested in the good of all, or is there some other motive behind their actions?
Synopsis from Animenfo

Scryed was the first title to make use of the Art style made famous by the Gundam SEED series. An unprepared viewer might think that the quality series of this style mightve started with Scryed, but in fact thats not the conclusion i came to at all.
The art is not bad, but it was much improved in Gundam SEED. The problem is, this kind of art that heavily enhances the dramatic feel of the characters completly works against this series.The author did try to give the series a few dramatic moments but it utterly failed due to the heavy focus on senseless fighting scenes. Dont be deceived into thinking that this title offers great animation fighting scenes though since that isnt the case. Fighting scenes? yes, a lot. Long or good quality animation? not at all. The animation is pretty average and apparently little does than deliver this series in working conditions. Characters are a waste of the Art style. The only memorable character would be the main character's sister, wich builds a lot of mistery around her, but ends up beeing of little importance.
Story? Well, i think there was something that would be called a story behind this, but it was all a lame excuse for more needless senseless fights. Actually the main character's (Kazuma) personality is has void has they come. Yes, he wants to protect his sister, but appart from that he just wants to pick fights. Extremely tiring.
The soudtrack isnt memorable at all. I didnt particularly like the opening or ending themes and to tell the truth i can think of any music track at all, of how forgettable the experience was. Actually, what sticked to me about this anime was the fact that i was tired when i finished watching it. I went well beyond the point where i couldnt see anymore fights. A forgetable experience. Good thing the Art style gained its deserved value with Gundam SEED and Fafner in the azure. Otherwise everything would be of little use in this series. Oddly enough its a very popular show, for reasons i cant fathom unless taste from senseless violence. Maybe its a lump of fresh air to some, but for me it was nothing but poluted smoke.

Rating 3/10

Last edited by Nem; 04-26-2005 at 05:53 PM.
Nem is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-2005, 08:23 AM   #17
Icarus4578
Deal with it.

Nem ~ "Where this game goes off the roof is in the soud department. Some incredible tunes for the hardware it was in that give off the feel of a mystic and abandoned/hopeless space station. Definitly top notch stuff that i have never yet again heard in another game. Definitly a soundtrack i wish i had."

Damn. Now I've gotta go check this out.
Icarus4578 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-2005, 02:18 PM   #18
Nem
Smash bro!

Review: Videogame

Platform: Playstation

Genre: Action RPG

The Granstream Saga

The granstream Saga was an RPG released in the first years of the PS life. What made it appeal to gamers? Well, not much actually. But lets get into detail on that.
At the time it came out, the graphics this game spanned were already pretty average. Nothing excessively bad, but the characters faces for example were nowhere to be seen in their 3D models. Gladly the Art made up for this. It was actually the best part of the title alongside the animation in the intro and some other pieces of the adventure. Everything is very manga/anime around this department, with no style to set it apart but nothing wrong with it has well. It was one of the first games that i played that used the floating islands type of world though, and that did earn it some points.
The main character was the brave kid style, but there were two main female parts. The classical "quiet, loving obediente style" and the "easily pissed off, violent but beatyful style". When you finished the game you actually had different endings depending on wich of the two you chose to save further in the game. I also remember a talking pet, that did the humorous parts (sort of like Nall in Lunar). The story didnt go off the roof. Very predictable, but the interaction with the secondary characters along the ride could prove fun.

The battle system was pretty basic. When you got close to an enemy, you would enter a battle mode, where you could choose to attack, defend or use magic. Everything pretty basic. No special difficulty, and actually the outcome of battle was ultimatly the result of the using of good armour. Even though not stellar, battles werent long and werent much of a bother. Unfortunely you only had use of the main character in battles (wich were only composed by the character in battle and the enemy), so it wasnt possible to try the secondary characters in battle.
Music, was also pretty average, but it was remeniscent of the 16bit era. Not in the good sense though. Pretty simple tunes, that didnt make your ears bleed, even though they had some good moments, but mostly passable stuff.

So, Mainstream was exactly the right word for this title. It was basically an anime like playable adventure, and thats why i enjoyed it. It has a Lunar feel, even though not anywhere has good. But, there really was nothing that set it apart.. besides, it was a short 30hour quest. But really, it woudve been bad to try and strech it any longer. Its value and its shortcoming was its simplicity. It wasnt a pain to do the game, but it didnt offer you anything else even if you tried to get more depth out of it.

Rating 5/10

Last edited by Nem; 04-16-2005 at 11:32 PM.
Old 03-12-2005, 02:21 PM   #19
Nem
Smash bro!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Icarus4578
Nem ~ "Where this game goes off the roof is in the soud department. Some incredible tunes for the hardware it was in that give off the feel of a mystic and abandoned/hopeless space station. Definitly top notch stuff that i have never yet again heard in another game. Definitly a soundtrack i wish i had."

Damn. Now I've gotta go check this out.
It would only do you good in my opinion. I remember landing the ship just to do nothing else but listening to the music for a bit.
Old 03-12-2005, 04:49 PM   #20
DeathStroke
Lone Wolf

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nem
Actually the main character's (Kazuma) personality is has void has they come. Yes, he wants to protect his sister, but appart from that he just wants to pick fights. Extremely tiring.
That's funny because it's not even remotely close to what he was trying to do. He was teaching her to fend for herself and not to rely on him.
Old 03-12-2005, 05:09 PM   #21
Nem
Smash bro!

Well he did defend her all the same did he not? Even if that wasnt exactly his ultimate goal, its what he did. Even if he wanted to get her to defend herself its just so he could pick more fights with an easier mind. Its all so tiring (to me).
Im noticing youre an Aone member Deathstroke. I like your group. It took guts to take on a project like Kyou Kara Maou. But it was worth it. Its a great series in spite the questionable nuances. :cool guy:

Last edited by Nem; 03-12-2005 at 05:26 PM.
Old 03-13-2005, 12:34 AM   #22
DeathStroke
Lone Wolf

You have me mistaken for someone else. I'm not part of any anime sub fangroups. Don't even speak a lick of Japanese. And my sig, which was probably responsible for this misunderstanding, is horribly out of date.

Anyway, granted that yes, Kazuma went after his sister but it wasn't just to save her. He had other accounts to settle too and he wasn't about to let Ryuho steal the spotlight from him either. The thing I liked about Scryed was that the two main characters just completely ignored their love interests. Also, I thought the competition between Ryuho and Kazuma was done very well.
Old 03-13-2005, 12:19 PM   #23
Nem
Smash bro!

Opps. youre right i misunderstood. Sorry about that (its AonE, not AoE)

Well, my review was just my view of the series. Of course you are intitled to disagree. The whole easy fighting thing just ruined it for me.
Old 03-17-2005, 07:56 PM   #24
Nem
Smash bro!

Ive been pretty busy lately so no reviews

next week ill have some free time though^^

my next reviews will be:
  • book
    Dune Messiah

• Games
    Star Ocean Till the end of time
    King of Fighters Maximum Impact

• Anime
    Genshiken

Last edited by Nem; 03-19-2005 at 11:17 AM.
Old 03-19-2005, 10:26 PM   #25
Nem
Smash bro!

Review: Book

Author: Frank Herbert

Dune Messiah

Such a rich store of myths enfolds Paul Muad?dib, the Mentat Emperor, and his sister, Alia, it is difficult to see the real persons behind these veils. But there were, after all, a man born Paul Atreides and a woman born Alia.
Their flesh was subject to space and time. And even though their ocacular powers placed them beyond the usual limits of time and space, they came from human stock. They experienced real events wich left real traces upon a real universe. To understand them, it must be seen that their catastrophe was the catastrophe of all mankind. This work is dedicated, then, not to Muad?dib or his sister, but to their heirs--to all of us.

And with that intro, were off to Dune Messiah.
With "Paul Atreides"--"Muad?dib" in the throne of Emperor, this book takes on the mission of following the various conspiracies against his reign and that of his sister. Paul?s great ocular powers allow him to sense future events and a crisis is starting to loom, but nothing that will be digged very deeply in this title. Actually, this book?s story proves to be little less than a prologue to the next volume in the series "children of Dune".
Has easily seen after reading the prologue i started with, this is a very philosophycal book. Theres little action, and the whole book revolves around a conspiracy to overthrow the current emperor and the attempt to stop the birth of Paul?s sucessors.
While it is good to revisit and re-experience characters thought to be lost, the fact remains that in the overall story of the series, this book has little to almost no weight at all. In this title you will find begginings but no real endings. In that way, it was useful but it wouldnt be much of a scandel if Frank Herbert had just leaped over to "Children of Dune". Word has it, that Frank scrapped many chapters from Dune Messiah, probably in an attempt to boost the work?s value, but the truth is it did little.
Of course, the literacy level in this book is very high; has is usual in Frank Herberts works. Of course, the more philosophycal works such has this are even more edged out. Not for the faint of words.
Theres really little to be said about this book, aside from the fact that it was an unworthy direct follow-up to the imense "Dune" and that it stacks up in the series has something little between the afore mentioned title and "Children of Dune" its follow-up. Nevertheless, it ironed some edges for the series to take off from, but it would be "Children" the book worthy of the "Dune" legacy. "messiah" is nothing more than a prelude.

Rating 6/10

Last edited by Nem; 04-16-2005 at 11:33 PM.
Old 03-20-2005, 08:53 AM   #26
Icarus4578
Deal with it.

"King of Fighters Maximum Impact"

I can't wait to see it!
Icarus4578 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-2005, 10:45 PM   #27
gearhound
Versus the World

i really enjoyed the grandstream saga. i would hardly call it mainstream though.
Old 03-20-2005, 11:23 PM   #28
Joe Redifer
Olé!

It should be called "Mainstream SaGa" (note the capital "G" in "saga" because all nerds do that LOLOLOLOLOL)
Joe Redifer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-2005, 11:37 PM   #29
Nem
Smash bro!

Quote:
Originally Posted by gearhound
i really enjoyed the grandstream saga. i would hardly call it mainstream though.
You have a point there. I meant mainstream has in average (the mainstream of games beeing average), not has in meant for mainstream gamers. I also enjoyed it nevertheless. I mentioned that in the review. Its just not on top of my favorite RPG list.

Last edited by Nem; 03-20-2005 at 11:42 PM.
Old 03-21-2005, 01:09 AM   #30
gearhound
Versus the World

yes, i liked your review. i liked grandstream so much because it was old school and reminded me of games like lagoon for some reason. it was an experience that was reminiscent of the 16-bit era.

Last edited by gearhound; 03-21-2005 at 01:19 AM.
gearhound is offline   Reply With Quote