The MagicBox Forums  

Go Back   The MagicBox Forums > Console Specifics > Microsoft Discussion

Old 05-21-2020, 01:48 PM   #1
Rubeus

Original Xbox's complete source code leaked online, with Windows NT 3.5 kernel

Quote:

Original Xbox's complete source code leaked online

The Windows NT 3.5 kernel has also been unearthed.

The original Xbox was a new frontier for modders and tinkerers, as the included hard drive made it easy to install unofficial dashboards and pirated games. Those enthusiasts might be getting a flashback to 2002, as the official Xbox OS has leaked online, according to The Verge. This includes the Xbox dev kit, emulators, build environments, documentation and the kernel itself. These kinds of leaks have often enabled developers to create unofficial (and illegal) fan projects such as emulators. However, The Verge notes that some of this data has been available within the homebrew scene for a while, so it’s not clear how much of it will be a revelation to the Xbox modding and emulation community.

An early version of the source code for Windows NT 3.5 has also leaked online. The dump contains just about everything one would need to understand the inner workings of the system. The OS was released in 1994 but was quickly replaced by Windows NT 3.51. There probably aren’t many people or businesses still using Windows NT 3.5, so this leak isn’t likely to become a security risk.

The Xbox source code leak in particular could have some value. While it would be illegal for programmers to use Microsoft’s own code in an emulator, the info gleaned from the dump could inform new approaches to creating a better software version of the console. Only a small fraction of Xbox games can currently run smoothly via homebrew emulation. While many popular games are supported by Microsoft’s official Xbox emulation via the Xbox 360 and Xbox One, it’s still important to some that the games are preserved and remain playable as the original hardware units die out.

https://www.engadget.com/xbox-os-win...142213929.html
Rubeus is offline   Reply With Quote
Connect With Facebook to "Like" This Thread

Old 05-21-2020, 02:23 PM   #2
Sinful Sam
gnarf! gnarf!

There was a few exclusive Sega games on the original Xbox that didn't get ported anywhere else. Would be nice to see those games continue to work with improved emulation.

STEAM: Sinfulsam
PSN: Sinfulsam
Sinful Sam is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-22-2020, 04:31 AM   #3
Reality
Sin and Punishment

Ooooh yeah. Get that emulation rolling guys.
Old 05-22-2020, 01:43 PM   #4
Rubeus

What games specifically as must-play on Xbox original that isn't ported anywhere else?
Rubeus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-22-2020, 04:13 PM   #5
BlindMaphisto
DANGER-HUMAN

The Project Gotham Racing games are pretty great in my opinion and I don't think they are BC or ported elsewhere.
Old 05-23-2020, 11:02 AM   #6
Nem
Smash bro!

Well, i don't know if they are backwards compatable on Xbox1, but i can think of a few not widely available:

Otogi 1/2
JSRF
Gun valkyrie
Panzer dragoon orta (this one is on backwards. I got it. Though it was unplayable for many years until they patched the crashing on level 3).
Toe Jam and Earl 3
SEGA GT 2002
Crazy Taxi 3
Outrun 2
Spikeout: Battle street

With that said, it falls to SEGA to port these things to modern systems. They might not have the licenses in some cases though, so i guess this emulation thing will be good for it.

You know... i never heard of Spikeout until i looked this stuff up. It is shocking to me that they would do such a game instead of a Streets of Rage.