The MagicBox Forums  

Go Back   The MagicBox Forums > General Topics > General Gaming Discussion

Old 01-23-2019, 12:53 AM   #1
Rubeus

Nintendo Switch outsold every other console in the US last year

It's going to well because most people use it as a portable device, and it's the strong selling point of Switch.

Quote:

Nintendo Switch outsold every other console in the US last year
'Red Dead Redemption 2' also cleaned up.

Demand for the Nintendo Switch didn't cool down one iota in 2018. The NPD Group has published its sales data for last year, and the Switch was the top-selling system in the US both in terms of dollars and raw unit count, outpacing a previous record set by the PS4 in 2015. Things were even rosier in December -- the Switch had the best unit sales of any console for that month since 2010, and the best dollar sales since the Wii mania of December 2009.

It wasn't the champion in the software realm. In a shock to absolutely no one, Red Dead Redemption 2 was the best-selling game of 2018, followed by Black Ops 4 and NBA 2K19. Not that Nintendo is about to leave sobbing. Super Smash Bros. Ultimate was the fifth-hottest game of the year, buoyed by a strong December where it led the charts. Ultimate also outsold the previous top Super Smash Bros. title (Brawl) by 70 percent, and Nintendo generated the most software revenue of the year.

The company was the highlight to an overall modest year. Overall spending did climb 13 percent to $16.7 billion, but it was still short of highs in previous years -- people spent $17.4 billion in 2011.

Researchers didn't explain just why Nintendo thrived, but it's easy to offer a few potential explanations. Games sell systems, and Nintendo had several quality titles high in the charts (including 2017 hits like Mario Kart 8 and Breath of the Wild). There's also the question of value. As before, the Switch can appeal to people whether they want a living room machine or a portable gaming rig. It simply has a larger potential audience than its TV-focused counterparts -- while the PS4 and Xbox One are more powerful, they're not as flexible.

https://www.engadget.com/2019/01/22/...ntendo-switch/
Rubeus is offline   Reply With Quote
Connect With Facebook to "Like" This Thread

Old 01-23-2019, 08:51 PM   #2
Nem
Smash bro!

I honestly struggle to understand it. Is it the 3DS croud that is buying it?

I personally don't see a better reason to buy one than i did for the WiiU. Actually the Wii U was the most powerful system for a short while. The switch is basically a WiiU with remote gamepad and it's insanely overpriced. There aren't even any games for it. Ports of WiiU and previous gen stuff for the most part. It drives me insane. I don't know what it is people see on it.

I say this cause i ponder getting one, but i don't see a good reason to do so. Xenoblade 2 is the only thing that would interest me, but not in the same way Xenoblade X did.

Why spend 400 euros on that when i can wait a year and get a ps5 instead. Heck, with all those new studios, even the new Xbox sounds more appealing as a second purchase. Switch is a mario box, i guess. It just doesn't do it for me.
Old 01-23-2019, 11:22 PM   #3
BlindMaphisto
DANGER-HUMAN

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nem View Post
I honestly struggle to understand it. Is it the 3DS croud that is buying it?

I personally don't see a better reason to buy one than i did for the WiiU. Actually the Wii U was the most powerful system for a short while. The switch is basically a WiiU with remote gamepad and it's insanely overpriced. There aren't even any games for it. Ports of WiiU and previous gen stuff for the most part. It drives me insane. I don't know what it is people see on it.

I say this cause i ponder getting one, but i don't see a good reason to do so. Xenoblade 2 is the only thing that would interest me, but not in the same way Xenoblade X did.

Why spend 400 euros on that when i can wait a year and get a ps5 instead. Heck, with all those new studios, even the new Xbox sounds more appealing as a second purchase. Switch is a mario box, i guess. It just doesn't do it for me.
Not interested in Octopath traveler? I would have figured that whould be right up your isle.
When life gives you lemons? Don't make lemonade. Make life take the lemons back! Get mad! 'I don't want your damn lemons! What am I supposed to do with these?' Demand to see life's manager! Make life rue the day it thought it could give Cave Johnson lemons! Do you know who I am? I'm the man who's going to burn your house down! With the lemons! I'm going to get my engineers to invent a combustible lemon that burns your house down!"
BlindMaphisto is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2019, 06:13 AM   #4
Nem
Smash bro!

Quote:
Originally Posted by BlindMaphisto View Post
Not interested in Octopath traveler? I would have figured that whould be right up your isle.
Not super interested in old school stuff, unless it's SEGA games.
Old 01-24-2019, 04:09 PM   #5
spider-prime
NOW IN CINEMAPHONIC QUADROVISION!

Location: I hated going to weddings cause all the grandmas would poke me saying "you're next, you're next". They stopped saying that when I did it to them at Funerals.
You see ports, but people who didn't buy the wii u, which was most people, have never played them before so those games are new to them.
spider-prime is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2019, 07:56 PM   #6
Nem
Smash bro!

I dunno. If so many people resisted getting the Wii U for those games, there has to be something else that makes them get a switch. Maybe something nostalgic or emotional. I see people who get them say they love them. I'm not sure. I just know it's not working for me.

But, well... i guess it's been like that with me and Nintendo systems. I buy one and i skip the next. Maybe a new Zelda and Xeno X can motivate me to get one. But, we will be well into next gen by that time, so i might just not see enough value depending on what is on offer in the new systems.
Old 01-25-2019, 01:58 AM   #7
spider-prime
NOW IN CINEMAPHONIC QUADROVISION!

Location: I hated going to weddings cause all the grandmas would poke me saying "you're next, you're next". They stopped saying that when I did it to them at Funerals.
People like the games on the wii u, nobody ever said it didn't have good games, just not enough support and plus the system did suck in how it runs. The Switch is basically what the wii u should have been to begin with.

People love Mario kart and smash, probably the main reasons the wii u even sold anything other than to Nintendo fanboys who buy everything Nintendo.
spider-prime is offline   Reply With Quote