The MagicBox Forums  

Go Back   The MagicBox Forums > General Topics > PC / Games / Internets Discussion

Old 07-26-2011, 06:36 PM   #31
Alucard

Pay attention to the clock speed of each. The gigabyte one is more powerful.

You also noticed a difference between agp and pci2.0 because the card you got was also 700 times stronger then your last one.
Alucard is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-26-2011, 11:19 PM   #32
Zack

Quote:
Originally Posted by darren316 View Post
thta bench mark was done in 09 with Microsoft Windows Vista Ultimate x64 SP1 ... i'll put good money on them using 8gb if they did the same thing again tomorrow with windows 7. In 09 buying 4gb ram was probebly the same as buying 8-12gb ram today ... 8gb ram is 50-60 these days .... if your building a new system you would be mad not to .. and if your going to use much 64bit software i'd get even more than that.

Spider get 8gb ram
he's buying DDR2 though. it's expensive RAM (more than triple ddr3 cost) that he has to throw away if he ever wants to get a new motherboard or CPU (new mobos do not support ddr2). seems wasteful to bother with more than 4 on that system.

idk what games you guys are playing, but the witcher 2 on maximum settings only uses about 1GB of ram. i've never come close to needing more than 4gb on my system.

Quote:
Originally Posted by spider-prime View Post
But I've settled to put a little more into the new 3d card and I am going to get the ASUS GTX560 Ti.

Does anyone know how much wattage it needs? my PSU is 600 watts. It's probably enough, I just want to make sure.
600 will be more than enough even in a moderately overclocked system with that card (unless you plan on running SLI)
Zack is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-27-2011, 02:05 AM   #33
Chronos
fuggit

make sure you get something from the corsair cmpsu line unit for ur power supply, or perhaps an antech, but i forget the models on them. both are single rail, high rated psu's. in general for wattage single card 400-600w is fine (as long as it's single 12v rail, not split. split rail psu's=bad). sli u want 800w-1kw.
Chronos is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-27-2011, 02:22 AM   #34
Alucard

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zack View Post
idk what games you guys are playing, but the witcher 2 on maximum settings only uses about 1GB of ram. i've never come close to needing more than 4gb on my system.
Screenshot your pc specs and then record witcher 2 running on your system with its graphic settings. I'm ready for a good laugh.
Old 07-27-2011, 02:30 AM   #35
darren
... lol

mate i suspect some people and our definintion of a game running fine are very different things ..

looking at the recommended MIN specs from the devs .. i think they would laugh in the face of someone that says it runs fine on max setting never needing more than 1gb ram

Quote:
Intel CPU - Core 2 Duo E6750 2.66GHz
AMD CPU - Athlon II X2 245e
Nvidia GFX Card - GeForce GTS 450
ATI GFX Card - Radeon HD 4850
RAM (Memory) - 4 GB
Hard Disk Space - 16 GB
Direct X - 9
XBL Herr Lip Steam Butters' Bottom Bitch (http://steamcommunity.com/id/buttersbottombitch)
darren is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-27-2011, 04:29 AM   #36
Zack

lol.. those aren't the system requirements

http://store.steampowered.com/app/20920/ :

Quote:
Minimum Requirements:

Processor: Intel 2.2 GHz Dual-Core or AMD 2.5 GHz Dual-Core
RAM: 1.5 GB (Win XP), 2GB (Win Vista/Win 7)
Graphics: GeForce 8800 (512 MB) or Radeon HD3850 (512 MB)
HDD Space: 16 GB
Quote:
Recommended Requirements:

Processor: Quad Core Intel or AMD
RAM: 3 GB (Win XP), 4GB (Win Vista/Win 7)
Graphics: GeForce 260 (1 GB) or Radeon HD 4850 (1 GB)
HDD Space: 16 GB
@alucard: i don't have it installed. why not just open the task manager while playing the game and see how much memory it uses for yourself?

Quote:
Originally Posted by darren316 View Post
looking at the recommended MIN specs from the devs .. i think they would laugh in the face of someone that says it runs fine on max setting never needing more than 1gb ram
i said the game (witcher2.exe) uses "about a gb of ram". of course you'll need ram for your operating system too... if your OS is using upwards to 2.5GB+ by itself while playing games, maybe you should close autocad
Old 07-27-2011, 05:01 AM   #37
Alucard

Ran it just then for about 2min. Memory usage for the game got to 1.3gb, probably will rise a bit more while playing. Also ram is not the sole important thing. Its extremely dependant on cpu and video card. My game is fairly choppy on medium to low details even though I have a 560ti card which can run it on high because my cpu is so shit for this game. Also the windows argument is completely different. If you're using win7 and playing witcher, you will see a difference between 4gb and 8gb. A pretty big difference.
Old 07-27-2011, 06:37 AM   #38
Chronos
fuggit

my cpu (q6600) purchased in '07 has given me the best mileage...it was a sick processor for its time (way overkill at the time when duals were standard) but even now I have it overclocked to 3.4ghz with a zalman cpu cooler and the processor barely reaches 58C under peak load running intense games that use 75-100% of the cores. The overclock is zero risk since I didn't change any voltage settings...with voltage tweaks I could get it to 3.6ghz easily and maybe even 4ghz, but i'd need water cooling. it's still like the 5th best intel quad cpu u can buy (read a chart on tomshardware a few days ago).
Old 07-27-2011, 07:23 AM   #39
Alucard

The q6600 was pretty good. Especially when overclocked since it came at only 2.6gh I think by memory. Unfortunately I cant overclock my E6850, which is pretty much a little more powerful, because I have all 4 ram bays full. Very frustrating. I think I'll probably order my upgrade in the next month or so. Might go a nice i2500k.
Old 07-27-2011, 11:21 AM   #40
Zack

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alucard View Post
Ran it just then for about 2min. Memory usage for the game got to 1.3gb, probably will rise a bit more while playing.
it really shouldn't rise much higher than that unless your graphics card doesn't have enough vram (the one spider's going to order is good), you modded the config files to keep everything in memory forever (pointless), or you have a memory leak (software problem).

i ran it on high-ish settings fine with 4gb on win7. never had my total system memory useage go past 66%ish. how is more ram better if my system isn't using it?

in case you don't know how ram works; you don't get any performance increase of having more unless it's being used (i.e. your 8gb is worthless unless your memory useage is 7+ GB in the task manager). you're not going to see any more fps or better graphics on the witcher 2 on a system with 8gb compared to one with 32gb of ram.

Quote:
Also ram is not the sole important thing. Its extremely dependant on cpu and video card. My game is fairly choppy on medium to low details even though I have a 560ti card which can run it on high because my cpu is so shit for this game.
arguement was only about ram. of course cpu and video card are important. but spider's still not going to run this game well on high settings, even with a $300+ videocard. he's bottleknecked by a bad cpu. more ram isn't going to help that.

Quote:
Also the windows argument is completely different. If you're using win7 and playing witcher, you will see a difference between 4gb and 8gb. A pretty big difference.
any evidence? i just looked at some benchmarks and couldn't find any. i guess if you have a tonnn of unnecessary programs open while you play the witcher 2 you'll get a difference. you'd be wasting cpu usage and hurting your fps in the process though.

Quote:
The q6600 was pretty good. Especially when overclocked since it came at only 2.6gh I think by memory. Unfortunately I cant overclock my E6850, which is pretty much a little more powerful, because I have all 4 ram bays full. Very frustrating. I think I'll probably order my upgrade in the next month or so. Might go a nice i2500k.
i had a q6600. really good processor. i recently upgraded to a i2500k. it's pretty much the new q6600; really powerful, not too expensive, and has tons of overclocking potential.
Old 07-27-2011, 11:36 AM   #41
Alucard

I work in IT so I know how computer parts work, no problem there. What you'll see a difference in ram from 4-8gig is loading speed. Areas will load up faster and textures and models too. There is plenty of benchmarks out there that show a good visible increase in performance from 4 to 8gb under win7. Anything after 8 is useless. But yes, not everyone wants to shut down every single process running in the background just so a game can load up. Thats just crazy and time consuming. Considering the price of ram from 4gb to 8gb is really small, you might as well just go for it.
Old 07-27-2011, 02:06 PM   #42
Chronos
fuggit

i thought about upgrading...but there's really no point for me. i'd have to get a new motherboard, cpu, and cpu cooler. just going to wait until i can't run the games i want before getting a new mobo/cpu, or when the next gen of cpu's come out. 3.4 ghz quad kills most stuff.
Old 07-27-2011, 02:39 PM   #43
spider-prime
NOW IN CINEMAPHONIC QUADROVISION!

Location: I hated going to weddings cause all the grandmas would poke me saying "you're next, you're next". They stopped saying that when I did it to them at Funerals.
that's teh same for me, it would be basically be buying a new computer for most of the parts, so I rather just wait till they get a bit better first and get a bigger jump on power and speed for the dollar.
spider-prime is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-27-2011, 04:02 PM   #44
darren
... lol

Quote:
I work in IT so I know how computer parts work, no problem there. What you'll see a difference in ram from 4-8gig is loading speed. Areas will load up faster and textures and models too. There is plenty of benchmarks out there that show a good visible increase in performance from 4 to 8gb under win7. Anything after 8 is useless. But yes, not everyone wants to shut down every single process running in the background just so a game can load up. Thats just crazy and time consuming. Considering the price of ram from 4gb to 8gb is really small, you might as well just go for it.
unless it has a 64bit option .. i think someone mentioned crysis 1 did

i have a really interesting white paper at work about ram as we know it being replaced by cheap sd cards .. as they can do the same thing .. next line of hp motherboards are going to be built with that option. as are next years gigabyte, asus etc boards. no need to open it up to upgrade the memory .. just pop out the old sd card and pop a bigger one in .. (formatted in a certain way, which can be done from a little program which you run from windows or linux or what ever)

will mail to to you with the 'code' next week sometime
XBL Herr Lip Steam Butters' Bottom Bitch (http://steamcommunity.com/id/buttersbottombitch)
darren is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-27-2011, 07:38 PM   #45
Zack

Quote:
I work in IT so I know how computer parts work, no problem there. What you'll see a difference in ram from 4-8gig is loading speed. Areas will load up faster and textures and models too. There is plenty of benchmarks out there that show a good visible increase in performance from 4 to 8gb under win7.
source? only way i'm seeing that work is if you disable your pagefile (though that will cause problems of it's own).

Quote:
Anything after 8 is useless. But yes, not everyone wants to shut down every single process running in the background just so a game can load up. Thats just crazy and time consuming.
i don't have to shut down any processes and still have plenty of memory to spare. i'll close autocad if i'm going to be playing something like the witcher 2 though.