The MagicBox Forums  

Go Back   The MagicBox Forums > General Topics > PC / Games / Internets Discussion

Old 09-01-2010, 11:46 AM   #1
Alucard

Starcraft 2 sells over 3mill first month

PC gaming is dead

Quote:
Blizzard Entertainment, Inc. today announced that StarCraftฎ II: Wings of LibertyTM has sold over 3 million copies worldwide in the first month of its release, building on the game’s momentum as the bestselling PC game of 2010 and the fastest-selling real-time strategy game of all time.* .

With day-one sales topping 1 million copies, StarCraft II: Wings of Liberty became the bestselling PC game of 2010 within its first 24 hours of availability. The game went on to sell more than 1.5 million copies in its first 48 hours, setting the record for fastest-selling strategy game of all time, and has won numerous critical accolades, including multiple editor’s choice awards from major gaming publications.

http://ve3d.ign.com/articles/news/56...In-First-Month
Alucard is offline   Reply With Quote
Connect With Facebook to "Like" This Thread

Old 09-01-2010, 10:15 PM   #2
spider-prime
NOW IN CINEMAPHONIC QUADROVISION!

Location: I hated going to weddings cause all the grandmas would poke me saying "you're next, you're next". They stopped saying that when I did it to them at Funerals.
I helped! I bought over 7 copies!
spider-prime is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-01-2010, 10:29 PM   #3
Drunken Savior
El Psy Kongroo!

Not to rain on your parade, Alucard, but Modern Warfare 2 sold more than 3 million copies in it's first 24 hours of release. Of the 4.7 sold, I'm sure than 3.0+ was on consoles. Point is that I'm sure producers all understand that more software is still being sold on consoles than on Windows.

Games I'm hyped for
The Last of Us Part 2, RE2 Remake, The Last Night

Current Platforms:
PC (i7-7700K, 16GB, GTX 980Ti), Wii U, PS4
Drunken Savior is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-01-2010, 11:59 PM   #4
MarionetteKazuk
Problem?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Drunken Savior View Post
Not to rain on your parade, Alucard, but Modern Warfare 2 sold more than 3 million copies in it's first 24 hours of release. Of the 4.7 sold, I'm sure than 3.0+ was on consoles. Point is that I'm sure producers all understand that more software is still being sold on consoles than on Windows.
^ that
MarionetteKazuk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-02-2010, 04:05 AM   #5
Alucard

You're also adding in multiple consoles to that figure. Plus console market is completely different to pc market. Starcraft 2 would do shittily on a console. Another thing is game sales on a console have 2 main ways of selling, both which dont work in the pc market-

1) Advertise the game to fuck and make it seem cool. The only reason games like Kane and Lynch can sell millions, then release a sequel which is as shitty as the first game, and again sell millions. On the pc you release a crap game, noone buys the sequel. Far harder market. Just ask Molyneux

2) Game sales on consoles are like a premature ejaculator. They blow their load really quickly and most sales are done in the first month. PC sales are far longer lasting. They sell steadily for years. Starcraft 2 will no doubt surpass 6million easily.

Its not about a larger market. Its about which buyer you can influence the best to get quick sales so your quarterly budget looks spiffy to investors. PC market has a large community. You just have to actually try.
Old 09-02-2010, 05:50 AM   #6
darren
... lol

stop the press a great game sells well , who would have thought it

when was the last time a pc game did this?
XBL Herr Lip Steam Butters' Bottom Bitch (http://steamcommunity.com/id/buttersbottombitch)
darren is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-02-2010, 05:57 AM   #7
calintz
thank you based god

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alucard View Post
2) Game sales on consoles are like a premature ejaculator. They blow their load really quickly and most sales are done in the first month.
calintz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-02-2010, 06:41 AM   #8
Alucard

Quote:
Originally Posted by darren316 View Post
stop the press a great game sells well , who would have thought it

when was the last time a pc game did this?
Plenty titles sell millions. In the next couple months there will be more. Football Manager 2011 and most likely Civ 5 will sell millions. Two games my useless memory can bring up.
Old 09-02-2010, 09:47 PM   #9
Drunken Savior
El Psy Kongroo!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alucard View Post
You're also adding in multiple consoles to that figure. Plus console market is completely different to pc market. Starcraft 2 would do shittily on a console. Another thing is game sales on a console have 2 main ways of selling, both which dont work in the pc market-
I also only used figures for 1 day while you used figures for 1 month. They sold 4.2M copies in the first month on the 360 alone. That poo poos all over SC2's 3M by nearly 50%.

Since we're all being anal about what stats we can use, I'd like to see non Korean purchase numbers for SC2's first month.

Games I'm hyped for

Current Platforms:
Old 09-02-2010, 10:39 PM   #10
Soba
:D

I wish this had sold like garbage so Activision would stop overcharging for their stuff.
Old 09-02-2010, 10:48 PM   #11
ProjectD

Quote:
Originally Posted by Drunken Savior View Post
I also only used figures for 1 day while you used figures for 1 month. They sold 4.2M copies in the first month on the 360 alone. That poo poos all over SC2's 3M by nearly 50%.

Since we're all being anal about what stats we can use, I'd like to see non Korean purchase numbers for SC2's first month.

1)Day 1 purchase of Starcraft 2 did not account for Korea because of its Free trial..

"While this number is light of some forecasts, we view this as largely a U.S. [plus] Europe number, with the majority of users in Korea still not reflected in the count," Sebastian noted. In Korea, the game, released worldwide on July 27, is massively popular, and pro StarCraft players are treated as celebrities.

"In other words, once the game in Korea shifts from 'free trial' to purchases, we expect the overall user base to be closer to the forecasts, and sales figures not as front-end loaded as expected," Sebastian said. -- Gamasutra

2) PC player base is a lot smaller than your average console. What kid has a gaming rig thats $1000+ compared to a $199 console?

3)Call of Duty: Modern Warfare 2 came out on 3 different machines, 2 being a reasonable cheaper method of purchase.

4)Starcraft 2 was out as a beta for a long period of time allowing people to take a good feel of the game before purchase, unlike COD:MW2 which really did not have a large beta for people to see if they would like to purchase it or not.

5)Starcraft 2 is a game that REQUIRES the internet. This displeased a lot of people and also does not allow some places to actually start the game. Unlike Call of Duty:MW2, there is no initial offline play. You have to log on every 30 days to verify in order to play offline.
ProjectD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-02-2010, 11:28 PM   #12
Drunken Savior
El Psy Kongroo!

I didn't ask for Day 1 SC2 sales, I asked for Month 1 sales. But I digress, that question was more tongue in cheek than anything.

My point still stands: Consoles are selling more software than PC. Starcraft 2 isn't some noble point in history where PC gaming suddenly trends towards beating console sales.

Games I'm hyped for

Current Platforms:
Old 09-02-2010, 11:44 PM   #13
spider-prime
NOW IN CINEMAPHONIC QUADROVISION!

Location: I hated going to weddings cause all the grandmas would poke me saying "you're next, you're next". They stopped saying that when I did it to them at Funerals.
lol what brought all this on?
spider-prime is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-02-2010, 11:56 PM   #14
Drunken Savior
El Psy Kongroo!

Probably whiskey. But it's just me ranting about nothing important. It's not like I have anything against PC gaming (I do more than half of my gaming on my PC at the moment), I just don't see it getting better for PC gamers in the long run.

Games I'm hyped for

Current Platforms:
Old 09-04-2010, 10:06 PM   #15
IoriYagami n8
Pinkerton

Never cared much for Starcraft. But then, I've never been one to go nuts over Blizzard games to begin with, they are never anything original, always just refining what someone else did before them.