The MagicBox Forums  

Go Back   The MagicBox Forums > General Topics > PC / Games / Internets Discussion

Old 01-06-2010, 06:26 PM   #31
spider-prime
NOW IN CINEMAPHONIC QUADROVISION!

Location: I hated going to weddings cause all the grandmas would poke me saying "you're next, you're next". They stopped saying that when I did it to them at Funerals.
hmmm very tempting, so you've already validated the windows 7 and it works fine? I would hate to buy it and it ends up being a fake number that later gets taken down and your copy won't work anymore
spider-prime is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2010, 07:12 PM   #32
eastx
The Fighting Bomber

Yep, see I had installed Windows 7 using an upgrade DVD to a blank hard drive, thinking it would let me put in a Windows Vista key before it asked for the Windows 7 key. It wouldn't. So I started getting validation nags... I bought a key from the site I linked and now I'm 100% validated.
eastx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2010, 07:23 PM   #33
MarionetteKazuk
Problem?

Hmm, nice. My friend was having some problems with her laptop (it's a bestbuy right now though getting fixed), but I was telling her she should get 7 since her's has vista.
MarionetteKazuk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2010, 11:55 PM   #34
Alucard

Thats....suspicious. Why such a massive price drop. I dont get it and it makes me scared.
Alucard is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2010, 11:35 AM   #35
Reality
Sin and Punishment

Wows. I'll think about this and consider a purchase when I get home.
Old 01-07-2010, 11:48 AM   #36
Naoko Suki
Steak!

For $40 bucks why not? Through a credit card or paypal. I always thought if Microsoft tells you your OS is not valid, you can give them proof you purchased it (from there) and they will trace it back to the dealer, and you will receive a full REAL brand new copy if it doesn't work. There's nothing really to lose other than time, right? D:
Old 01-07-2010, 12:02 PM   #37
MarionetteKazuk
Problem?

I think I'm actually going to get it next week if I can. My friend upgraded to 7 somewhat recently and said that his pc runs a lot better, there's less processes running in task manager as well. My sister's pc has issues (like p2p programs making the net on her pc stop, bsod, etc) so maybe this will help fix them.
MarionetteKazuk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2010, 01:43 PM   #38
Alucard

Win7 rocks. I'm pretty sure the things they're selling are OEM packages that come with DELL, ASUS etc systems, which is why they're so cheap. Nothing wrong with them either. A friend uses one. Just make sure to spend the extra amount and grab Ultimate. No point going the less featured cheaper versions for like $10-20.
Old 01-07-2010, 02:28 PM   #39
eastx
The Fighting Bomber

That's true. Might as well get the best version.

Windows 7 is great for notebooks because you usually can't upgrade their hardware much (if at all), so the increased performance is handy. Windows 7 also has much better SSD support, and those are getting more affordable each year.
Old 01-07-2010, 04:20 PM   #40
Joe Redifer
Olé!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alucard
Win7 rocks.
It still has some flaws, though. For one, my girlfriend's desktop uses a USB wireless dongle for internet (not much other choice). Normally everything works fine. Then one day, after the computer had not been turned on for a few weeks, it started giving us shit. Windows suggested that we run the diagnostics or self-repair BS before it starts up, so we did. Took it forever. But it said it couldn't repair the problems. Whatever, it was probably a hardware issue anyway. Booted up Windows and it recognized the internet just fine. Rebooted again later and it could not find the USB wireless adapter. I clicked on the network preferences and clicked "connect to network or wireless hub" or something like that. It then gave me a pop-up in the lower right corner saying that it was not connected to anything and suggested I click on the network preferences (which it provided a link to). Clicking that took me back to the same preference panel I was in which took me back to the pop-up on the bottom right of the screen. One big loop and no way to resolve. Had to restart and it eventually worked fine. I've applied all of the updated that Microsoft releases for their operating systems every week as well. Granted, this was likely a hardware issue, but Windows should not direct us in a loop.

Be careful with solid state drives. You can only erase and overwrite data so many times before they fail. And yes, flash media has this same issue.
Joe Redifer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2010, 04:32 PM   #41
Seraph
>:3

Quote:
Originally Posted by Joe Redifer View Post
Be careful with solid state drives. You can only erase and overwrite data so many times before they fail. And yes, flash media has this same issue.
I've read that when the technology was new this was a problem but nowadays it's not something to worry about and most users will end up phasing them out to whatever is better before they die.
Seraph is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2010, 04:34 PM   #42
eastx
The Fighting Bomber

Yeah, you'd have to constantly write to a modern SSD drive to wear it out. Also some drives support TRIM, which keeps them from getting slower over time.

My notebook's main hard drive is SSD and it is soooo much faster than before. I love it.
Old 01-07-2010, 05:04 PM   #43
Joe Redifer
Olé!

Yeah, technology will advance and they will become much better than what they are. Solid state is the future, I hope. But right now the price to performance ratio is not too pleasing.

The same goes with removable flash media. SD cards only go a bit above 15mbits per second. Compact Flash is around 30mbps or so. Panasonic's P2 cards are over 100mbps but their price is outrageous!
Joe Redifer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2010, 11:55 PM   #44
Alucard

SSD ones should be ignored for now since they arent 100% spiffy yet.
Old 01-08-2010, 12:33 AM   #45
shaselai
RPG Fanboy

hmm very tempting... is it worth it for 30? i have an alum address maybe it will work?