The MagicBox Forums  

Go Back   The MagicBox Forums > General Topics > PC / Games / Internets Discussion

Old 03-07-2008, 11:24 PM   #16
Chronos
fuggit

yeah, a plethora of advertisments. Not "Rainbow 6: Vegas brought to you by AXE DEODERANT BODY SPRAY." Think about what you're advocating here.
Chronos is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2008, 11:25 PM   #17
Risky
Stop right there criminal scum!

http://kotaku.com/365021/no-in+game-...r-starcraft-ii

Quote:
We have no plans to have in-game advertising in StarCraft II. We believe Bobby was actually referring to Battle.net, which has always included ads.
just to clarify previous quote by alucard, here's a link.
Risky is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2008, 11:36 PM   #18
Drunken Savior
El Psy Kongroo!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chronos View Post
yeah, a plethora of advertisments. Not "Rainbow 6: Vegas brought to you by AXE DEODERANT BODY SPRAY." Think about what you're advocating here.
I have and I stand by it. In game Advertising is out of character with a game like Starcraft II (if it's ingame, and not in Battlenet, which we've discovered). That's because it is set in the future, and you wouldn't expect to see an advertisement in the heat of a SCII game. In a game set in present day Las Vegas, you would. That's because Las Vegas is filled with advertisements. Ads make for a more realistic environment, hence making it more immersible. Ironically, a vanilla Las Vegas with no ads is less realistic, and hence less immersible, than one with ads.

Quote:
Originally Posted by http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Tom_Clancy%27s_Rainbow_Six:_Vegas
A relatively new phenomenon, Vegas includes dynamic real world advertising on billboards in certain areas. In order to receive these, the player must be connected to the internet whilst playing.
Quote:
Originally Posted by http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/In-game_advertising#Dynamic_in-game_advertising
Increasing Internet connectivity has led to the growth of dynamic in-game advertising. Unlike the fixed advertisements found in static in-game ads, dynamic advertisements can be altered remotely by the advertising agency
While having to download new ads is a pain, it's hardly a noteworthy bitchnote to have a more realistic Las Vegas environment. Now I haven't played Vegas, so they might not have implemented it correctly to make the city more realistic. But my message was defending in-game advertisements in general in certain games.

Games I'm hyped for
The Last of Us Part 2, RE2 Remake, The Last Night

Current Platforms:
PC (i7-7700K, 16GB, GTX 980Ti), Wii U, PS4
Drunken Savior is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2008, 11:52 PM   #19
Chronos
fuggit

If you haven't played it then you have no say. I win.

The End.
Old 03-07-2008, 11:59 PM   #20
Drunken Savior
El Psy Kongroo!

Well my message was about in-game advertising, not that particular game. So I'm afraid I do have a say. Are we done? Do you have any more internet-meme witty rebuttals that show a lack of understanding?

Games I'm hyped for

Current Platforms:
Old 03-08-2008, 12:17 AM   #21
Chronos
fuggit

You have no say about in game advertisment in Rainbow 6: Vegas, you dolt, since you haven't seen if it does or does not take away from the game; a topic which you seem to so care about....

Why you're getting inflamatory and disrespectful is beyond me. And if you consider "I win, the end" disrespectful in tone and not sardonic you need to seriously check yourself.

A 5 year old could have grasped that from my previous post/s. I shouldn't have even graced your little quip with a reply.
Old 03-08-2008, 12:21 AM   #22
Drunken Savior
El Psy Kongroo!

Ok, then how does Rainbow 6 fail at in-game advertising?

Games I'm hyped for

Current Platforms:
Old 03-08-2008, 12:29 AM   #23
Chronos
fuggit

honestly thinking about it for real, the presence of the axe marketing was focused 90% in the cutscenes. I recall only 2 or 3 stages which had axe billboards in game, and they were not in direct view at all. They were in odd rooms in pretty large stages from what i remember. It has been almost a full year since i was really into rainbow 6, so my previous posts were more reflective on my overall view of in game advertising. The way it was handled in R6 was tasteful so i'd list it as a game that managed to do it in a way that minimally disillusioned the gamer.
Old 03-08-2008, 12:31 AM   #24
Drunken Savior
El Psy Kongroo!

Ok. So why the hostility?

Games I'm hyped for

Current Platforms:
Old 03-08-2008, 12:35 AM   #25
Chronos
fuggit

No hostility. Also I didn't know about the dynamic advertising in vegas. the wiki on that's a bit stretched as i played the game for hundreds of hours total online and each ads location was known. i never saw a new axe ad, just the same old ones found if you explored the stage.
Old 03-08-2008, 01:23 AM   #26
Risky
Stop right there criminal scum!

I use axe, does that mean I'll like Rainbow Six?
Risky is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-2008, 01:26 AM   #27
Drunken Savior
El Psy Kongroo!

That means you ARE RAINBOW 6!

Games I'm hyped for

Current Platforms:
Old 03-08-2008, 03:33 AM   #28
Alucard

http://ve3d.ign.com/articles/news/37...32-Screenshots

Heaps more on the game
Alucard is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-2008, 05:29 AM   #29
flowForth
Programmer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Subway View Post
You can always pretend that those companies that are advertised lasted all those years in the future. In a way, its kinda adding more immersion instead of made up company advertisements in the background.
Even then - it doesn't work in the given part of the StarCraft universe, it's not set anywhere near Earth.

The Terrans, Protoss and Zerg are in a part of the Milky Way known as the Koprulu Sector - far from Earth, and (to the best of my knowledge) don't have any contact or trade with the Terrans on Earth (although the UPL - the Terran Earth government - quietly monitors them).

When the UPL sent a fleet to capture the Koprulu Sector, they were annihilated by the Zerg.

Not just that - but the Terrans in the Koprulu Sector were "undesirables" that the United Power League was exterminating en masse back on Earth prior to StarCraft. Some of these "undesirables" were rounded up, shoved onto colony ships which then malfunctioned and dumped them into the Koprulu Sector instead - which StarCraft is set in.

So - even assuming those companies survived - advertisements of current companies are ill-suited to the StarCraft games, at least in their current setting in the Koprulu Sector. These companies would simply not be trading with the Koprulu exiles.

Last edited by flowForth; 03-08-2008 at 05:49 AM. Reason: Additions to post.
flowForth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-2008, 11:52 AM   #30
Zachalmighty
Future Demon King

Quote:
Originally Posted by flowForth View Post
Even then - it doesn't work in the given part of the StarCraft universe, it's not set anywhere near Earth.

The Terrans, Protoss and Zerg are in a part of the Milky Way known as the Koprulu Sector - far from Earth, and (to the best of my knowledge) don't have any contact or trade with the Terrans on Earth (although the UPL - the Terran Earth government - quietly monitors them).

When the UPL sent a fleet to capture the Koprulu Sector, they were annihilated by the Zerg.

Not just that - but the Terrans in the Koprulu Sector were "undesirables" that the United Power League was exterminating en masse back on Earth prior to StarCraft. Some of these "undesirables" were rounded up, shoved onto colony ships which then malfunctioned and dumped them into the Koprulu Sector instead - which StarCraft is set in.

So - even assuming those companies survived - advertisements of current companies are ill-suited to the StarCraft games, at least in their current setting in the Koprulu Sector. These companies would simply not be trading with the Koprulu exiles.
NERD ALERT